Stranger comments on my RL...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 PM
White and Nerdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stranger comments on my RL...

Wife had me run an errand to an Asian grocery store in a busy section of the city over lunch hour today. I was worried taking the RL there, as its very busy and parking is crammed and hard to find.

I luckily found a parallel parking space (don't have to worry about dings!) across the street from the store. While I was putting a quarter in the meter, a bunch of upper crust looking businessmen walked by. One of them turned back around and looked at my car..."now THERE's a nice looking Acura!" The others nodded in aggreement.

And they say the RL doesn't get noticed. Hogwash!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:57 PM
5Zigen Acura RL

That's awesome! I've actually received several comments on my RL, especially since doing the upgrades. Rims just went on today and I already fielded questions about the car. It's low sales is ironically nice in some ways as folks don't know the car....
Old 03-30-2007, 11:13 PM
White and Nerdy

I kind of like that they car isn't "popular". Im sort of a non-conformist type, so the "shoe" fits...

As for my rims, in the immortal words of Mr. Yankovic:
"my rims don't spin/to the contrary/you'll find that they/are quite stationary"

Old 03-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I've had my RL for two years today (yay!) and the car has gotten many compliments. The most recent praise came from an Accord owner who aspires to have an RL one day.

Maybe you have to be in a place where people value Japanese cars for the RL to get praise.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90

Maybe you have to be in a place where people value Japanese cars for the RL to get praise.
You may be right, but Pittsburgh is definately not one of those places...still have some old time steel workers who won't buy Japanese brand cars due to the old prejudice from back in the late 70's/early 80's.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:51 PM
5Zigen Acura RL

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I've had my RL for two years today (yay!) and the car has gotten many compliments. The most recent praise came from an Accord owner who aspires to have an RL one day.

Acuras are very popular here in the Northwest. Lots of praise for their all around driving and winter ability.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Godwhacker
You may be right, but Pittsburgh is definately not one of those places...still have some old time steel workers who won't buy Japanese brand cars due to the old prejudice from back in the late 70's/early 80's.
Same in Cleveland. Chevrolet is the #1 selling brand here, and Ford is a close #2. The other reason for this, in addition to what you mention, is that so many people here have someone in the family who works in the auto industry and take advantage of the "A" plans (e.g. reduced cost).
Old 03-31-2007, 03:25 PM
10th Gear

I must agree that Pittsburgh isn't the greatest city for appreciating the great lines of the Acura RL, but it's nice when a compliment gets thrown my way (I just bought a 2007 RL with the Pax package). The last one was while filling up at a gas station. An old timer, who I figured would be prejudicial to my car, said it was one sharp looking car. Not too shabby.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:17 PM
White and Nerdy

Hmmm....maybe it was Bender13 who gave my RL that compliment!?

Now, I would say that Pittsburgh is a great city topographically speaking for the RL, in that the RL handles curves so well that the lack of straight line acceleration (vis a vis the competition, of course, compared to your average car, its plenty speedy) is not that much of an issue, considering that the only stretch of flat quarter mile that you will find in Pittsburgh will be over water (i.e., a bridge!).

While the average Pittsburgher swoons over ol' Detroit muscle car, its funny that they really don't have much of a place to use all that HP without flying into a ditch, river, etc. The roads around here really demand a car with good handling characteristics.

I have noticed an increase in the number of RL's I have seen in da Burgh, but still no a common sight, which is fine with me.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:24 PM
10th Gear

It's funny, but it's almost as if the RL was built for Pittsburgh. Tons of hills, schizophrenic weather, and plenty of confusing roads that need an easy to use navigation system. The one thing that would be great for parking on Pittsburgh's narrow back streets would be folding side mirrors. But alas, North American RL's get the ol' shaft.

And Godwhacker, next time I see a RL (which is becoming more and more often), I'll make sure to compliment the driver....
Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by bender13
It's funny, but it's almost as if the RL was built for Pittsburgh. Tons of hills, schizophrenic weather, and plenty of confusing roads that need an easy to use navigation system. The one thing that would be great for parking on Pittsburgh's narrow back streets would be folding side mirrors. But alas, North American RL's get the ol' shaft.

And Godwhacker, next time I see a RL (which is becoming more and more often), I'll make sure to compliment the driver....
Likewise! Cheers!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I've found an added bonus for my Black 06 when driving at high speed on the Highway...People think it's an unmarked State Police car, and move over as I drive up behind them!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpulus
I've found an added bonus for my Black 06 when driving at high speed on the Highway...People think it's an unmarked State Police car, and move over as I drive up behind them!
You obviously don't live in Southern California. Here most of the drivers can't read "Slower traffic Move Right".
Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bender13
would be folding side mirrors. But alas, North American RL's get the ol' shaft.
But we DO have folding side mirrors. They are manual, not automatic like Japanese Legends.

I got a nice compliment from one of my Benz-driving colleagues yesterday. Not that I look for praise in my choice of automobile, but it is nice to hear good comments sometimes.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 PM
White and Nerdy

Well, I got attention of a different kind for the RL today. On my commute home there is a double left turn lane, but the outside rightmost lane quickly vanishes in about 1/8 mile once you complete the turn, usually causing mass chaos as the vehicles in the right lane have to merge to the left after the turn.

I just missed the light, so Im sitting in the left turn lane as the first car. A guy in a new Accord Sedan pulls up next to me in the rightmost left turn lane, windows down and radio volume way up. I had my windows up and XM on, so I just turned the volume up so I didn't have to listen to his music and waited for the light to change. Once it changed I made the turn and started down the road, thinking that I didn't have to worry about merging traffic from the rightmost lane and had a smooth shot home with no traffic in front of me.

Well, apparently Mr. Accord thought it was race time. I didn't even notice him doing about 60 in the 35 mph residential zone until he was already ahead of me at about my 2 o clock position. There was only about 100 yards of road remaining in his lane, and he was already coming into my lane to the point where I had to hit the brakes to avoid a collision. He not only was a jerk, but an idiot, because if I had not hit the brakes, we would have either hit each other, or he would have hit the curb hard and probably go off into the ditch.

I was pretty ticked that the guy would risk my life and my new car, much less his (the Accord looked new), so that he could say he "bested" an RL. Figured that it was some idiot teenager in his daddy's car. So I kept driving on home, behind this jerk. And I stayed behind him....nearly all the way to my home...The jerk lives in my neighborhood!

The funniest part is that I think the guy thought that I was following him to confront him, because as we got nearer and nearer to my subdivision, making more and more turns the same direction that he did, I noticed that he kept looking in his rearview mirror at me and looking very nervous.

When my wife and I took my daughter for her nightly walk around the block, I saw the Accord. I spoke to some of the neighbors, and from what I gather the guy is a thirtysomething who moved back in with his parents recently. I guess he really did need the ego boost! Hopefully next time he won't risk my neck trying to get it!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Red face

It's a chronic condition on our roads today. I read somewhere the diagnosis was something like micro-penis-impotentus.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

My best RL story happened in of all places a Honda dealership.

My RL was about two weeks old when my brother in law called and asked if I would meet him and my sister at a Honda dealership to look at an Odyssey.

After negotiating out a price, I went outside to get some fresh air. I had some gum in the car so I walked up, hit the handle and got a stick. Three Honda sales reps. come up and asked what I thought about the RL. I told them I loved it. One asked if he could check out the interior, I said sure. He checked it out then turned to his fellow sales people and goes, this ain't a Honda interior, this is truly an Acura interior all the way. LOL

A customer walks up and asks what model of car is that. One of the guys goes, this is an RL, luxury flagship of our sister brand Acura. He tells the customer, it's around 50K and is loaded. The guy goes wow, nice car, but way out of my range. Can I see a CRV... LOL
Old 04-03-2007, 10:26 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by TampaRL
It's a chronic condition on our roads today. I read somewhere the diagnosis was something like micro-penis-impotentus.
I usually like to think its the guys in the Z3's and 4's that have that ailment, not those that drive Accords, particularly a stock Accord Sedans. If you want to race an Accord, get the coupe for heaven's sake and start moding it.

Come to think of it, if the guy was driving anything sporty or obviously modded, I probably would have been a little more wise that he was going to try and pull something. Wasn't expecting a sneak attack from a plain white stock Accord Sedan! I can see the Monty Python skit: "NOBODY expects the plain white Accord Sedan!"

BTW, great story Riddler. I am on pretty good terms with my Honda dealerships sales manager. He gets kind of irked when I rib him about Acura and thinks that Honda should just be one brand, like it is outside of N. America. I think he just wants to get his paws on some Acuras!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Maybe if there was a unified Honda brand, there would be unified marketing and a unified dealership experience.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 AM
10th Gear

Smile Flame On....

I usually like to think its the guys in the Z3's and 4's that have that ailment, not those that drive Accords, particularly a stock Accord Sedans. If you want to race an Accord, get the coupe for heaven's sake and start moding it.
Gee nice remark..... Well I do tend to drive my Z4 differently than my RL. If it had been a Z there would have been no problem as the Z would have blown the RL away. (flame on) Just the way it is, the Z 0-60 in 5.5 performance is way beyond the RL, just no comparison. The RL is a nice car and I love it, but the Z is a true sports car.... And yes Z drivers tend to be aggresive drivers, the Z is an incredible machine as is the RL just different
Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 AM
White and Nerdy

Sorry if I hit a sore spot, maybe I should not have specified a particular make/model in making my point, but my main point was that I think guys with esteem issues with money would buy a more sporty car than an Accord.

I certainly did not mean to insinuate that ALL BMW Z drivers have a problem or issue, or to insult all Z owners, and I apologize if I offended. But I am sure we all know of guys who have bought roadsters or other sports cars in order to compensate for stress or other problems in their lives, and, on the other hand, I am sure there are just as many if not more guys (and gals) without such issues who just love to drive roadsters or sports cars (who doesn't?).

Hell, if I were in the market for a roadster, the Z would be high up on my list. I'd love to have one!

As for flaming, Im not much of a flamer in any sense of the word...Im here to learn and have fun, not to piss people off, and if I did so, it was not intentional.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

The weather's been great in Cleveland the last few days--an anomaly, to be sure, but fact nevertheless. Seems to bring out those who appreciate fine cars.

While driving on the freeway yesterday, a guy in a Ford Taurus wagon was just breaking his neck trying to look at my car and almost lost control once! I only noticed because I needed to change lanes and saw him to my right and slightly behind me, gawking.

Happened again today. On my way in to the office, I noticed a guy in a nicely appointed Accord coupe keeping up with me and looking.

Grandpa car, indeed! I think this car (especially with the mods) can get peoples' attention, particularly because it is so rare.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I agree, even with just tints and the rear spoiler, I quite often get second looks, and I know it's not me that they're looking at, as much as I would like to think I still look like I did 20 years ago.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Red face

I actually get more compliments on my RL than I did with the TL. Perhpas the TL is too commonplace now (I swear I see more TLs than Accords anymore). But the compliments usually come from <40 age people and not specifically Acura fans. Some are from people who actually recognize the RL (and somewhat surprised to see the rare bird) and some are just people who admire the car not knowing what the heck it is.

I did get one backhanded compliment at a fuel station where a Saturn Vue driver asked me how I liked the new Aura!

I believe the RL has much more presence in person than it does in photos.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Racer

The Aura is a nice looking car. Not an RL but still nice looking.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:27 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by gavine
The Aura is a nice looking car. Not an RL but still nice looking.
I agree. Between the Aura and the Sky, I'm actually pretty impressed withthe design of those two cars.

Don't know what the reliability would be, but they are an improvement.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Advanced

I dont get alot of compliments on my '05 Opulent Blue RL

here in Bellevue, WA., but then it doesnt get out much either.. When I had my '02 BMW Z3-M Coupe, It got alot more compliments because of its radical shape and unbelieveable horsepower. I bought several Bimmers since "01, only because I wanted to experience a true "driver's car" and yes, they are. I have since sold all the BMW's and have had much fun with the Acura line. Did I ever post the picture of that M-Coupe speedometer at 170mph in the super long straight freeways of Montana ?? Now that little car could haul the freight and still be comfortable to go a couple thousand miles at a time before you felt you had to stop and get some rest... I would someday like to drive the Acura supercar the NSX... DanF
Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Race Director

Might even go farther than that with those old timers especially the ones in their 70s and 80s due to World War II and any Japanese products.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

I picked up an associate of mine at the airport after work tonight in the RL and headed to a steakhouse for dinner. Enroute he started spewing 'colorful metaphors' (i.e. !$@%$!!!!). Amused, but puzzled I asked him what was wrong?

He replied that he had just signed a lease on a BMW 530xi. I said "Congrats!, Nice Ride!...but what are you upset about?" He said... ''I just realized I made a mistake!"

I tried not to laugh aloud, but I admit I was enjoying it. Then he asked me what the RL stickers for, so I said around $50K. More colorful metaphors. Then I told him what I paid. Yikes...I am sure I heard language my momma would not approve.

So we had a great dinner, and after one drink, he ordered me a second. I said "thanks, but no - I'm driving". He replied "No you are NOT driving....I AM!" And yep, I did let him drive the RL after dinner....more language to make momma blush!

To be fair, he thinks the BMW does have better driving dynamics (I would agree). But he thought the interior of the RL is amazing (acutally F#%$@ amazing), the contruction better, smoother ride, and he said more luxurious without being a lame performer. He said the SHAWD is 'elegant' campared to X drive and thinks the RL is not simply a better value but aside from pure driving dynamics, the RL is more appealing in the sum of many things.

To date, that has been the most flattery my RL has gotten. And I relished every second of it.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only had the RL for a month and I've received a couple of very complimentary comments.

Someone parked an MB next to my RL of the same color and I mistook it for my RL. I gave the RL a compliment from it's owner.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best compliment I've gotten on the my RL came from my sister-in-law....

"Your car is like a Sith Lord... Dark on the inside and outside... but capable of some really cool stuff"
Old 06-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Best Comment Ever!

I got the best compliment ever while I was filling up at the gas station. A young man who was filling up his car was ogling my RL, in which were my wife and baby. He then approached me and asked, "what do you have to do to drive a car that nice?". He commented on the wheels and exhaust in particular, but he liked the car overall. I told him what I do for a living. He was shocked.

Always happy to inspire twentysomethings to do better for themselves.

The RL is indeed a remarkable car.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

So how do you tell a BMW owner about why you bought the RL?

This morning, a former med school classmate and current colleague gave some positive feedback on my car and especially the rims. He wondered why I'd trade my TL in for a heavier, slower car like the RL, even if it was good looking. My friend has moved up the ranks of BMW ownership starting with a 530i, and he currently has a gorgeous black 545i. You can see why he might question my purchase given he went the other way. I wouldn't call him a BMW snob, he was genuinely interested in my logic unlike many BMW fanboys.

--I mentioned the SH-AWD, how it works in dry weather, and its advantage in inclement weather (he uses snows on his Bimmer, so negates the inclement weather argument and he's got RWD, which still offers different, more familiar driving dynamics from SH-AWD).

--I mentioned that when "paper racing", the RL, even though it is 500 pounds heavier than the TL, 200 pounds of that from SH-AWD, that it is only a second slower in acceleration compared to a base TL. I don't notice that in everyday driving, and the difference is much less with my mods. Further, with SH-AWD, the RL in many ways outhandles the FWD TL. I conceded to him the need for more low-end torque, and he wondered if the RL came with a manual. Too bad it doesn't!

--I left him with the last reason to consider the RL. I mentioned MSRP and what I bought it for. That really got his attention.

The reason I bring this up is because I found in discussing with my friend that there's not a good way to discuss the merits of the RL quickly as it has so many features going for it. Perhaps that is one reason it is so difficult to market. Just like it takes time owning an RL to truly appreciate it, it takes time prior to ownership to understand just what the RL has to offer and why it is such a good "value".

You just can't put a tagline on an RL outside of "Drive Tomorrow's Technology Today!", as the RL's not just a luxury car, but a showcase of technology that will be in the next gen Honda Accord.

OTOH, with a BMW, all you have to say is "I have a BMW". I've driven BMWs, so I understand immediately that this implies an unparalleled driving experience. As much as I love my RL, it is definitely NOT a BMW and never will be....nor do I want it to be. All I want is a little more torque....

I'm getting a bit lengthy, so I'll stop here....
Old 10-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Red face

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The reason I bring this up is because I found in discussing with my friend that there's not a good way to discuss the merits of the RL quickly as it has so many features going for it. Perhaps that is one reason it is so difficult to market. Just like it takes time owning an RL to truly appreciate it, it takes time prior to ownership to understand just what the RL has to offer and why it is such a good "value". ....
From my similar experience with a BMW driving associate (above post), I would say that some BMW drivers buy them on the BMW name and expect it will top the competition without objective analysis. I would expect BMW hopes for those type of consumers.

I think we both encountered BMW owners who were curious as to what evaluation process we went through to decide upon the RL. And when they took the time to objectively consider the RL (our RLs!) it became apparent that the RL was worthy, if not an 'Ultimate Driving Machine'.