Squeaky Noise & vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Squeaky Noise & vibration

I am starting another thread that is away from the power steering fluid issue, and I am going to start with the things I have done so far to see if there is something I over looked.
  1. The car has 201,000 miles and has been reliable up to this point. We went to Disneyland in December. As we were leaving the car started to make a squeaking sound like it was either a bad tensioner bearing or the power steering pump was going out.
  2. I put in a new tensioner and Gates belt and the car continued to make the noise. So one down...what is next...power steering pump.
  3. Ordered a used replacement pump from EBay from source that had 100% feedback. It looks to be like new. I installed the pump, flushed out the fluid a couple of times. Noise still there. It would come and go when I cycled the air compressor. Hence it seemed to be a couple of days ago down at the compressor. I took it to a reputable A/C shop in town. The fellow that looked over the issue as I cycled the a/c compressor, didn't think that it was the issue. The belt slipped or squealed on start up. He said it looked like I got some oil on the belt and pulleys, hence it was slipping. At his recommendation I went and got another new Gates belt and some brake cleaner to clean the pulleys.
  4. This morning I swapped out the belt and cleaned all of the pulleys with the brake cleaner. The squeak is still there. The belt slips on start up and when I turn the steering wheel. It isn't a strong squeak but it is still there nevertheless.
I am so frustrated, I am beside myself that this has not been resolved. I listened with my stethoscope and I still cannot find the source of the noise. I am most likely going to take it to the local Honda agency for a diagnosis as they are 15 miles away and not 100 miles to the nearest Acura dealer. My first step is to ask here for some opinions on what to check before I spend more money.

Is it possible that the replacement power steering pump or tensioner is bad?

Another issue that has just surfaced on the way back from the a/c shop is a strong vibration that is all the way through the car. Just so you know, I do not abuse this car as it is our primary source of transportation. In park there is a vibration, in drive it seems to not be there. In reverse there is not a vibration or at least not as strong. The engine doesn't appear to move when moving the gear selector. The front and side mount were replaced a few months ago. Could the trans mount or rear mount cause this vibration? Just one more issue on top of the squeak.
I will crawl up under the car later and see if I can spot something obvious. Just want your opinion on what to look for while I am under there.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Check your stator/clutch on ur AC Compressor for the noise and the vibration check your air intake, mine has a leak which i replaced and vibration gone.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Pro

New air intake hose as the other one was crumbling apart. I will check it.

I used my stethoscope and figured the noise might be coming from the bearing on the clutch pulley. Heck of a lot cheaper than the compressor. Looks like a nut and a circlip to install it. Not an easy place to get to to swap it out. Might let someone else get their hands in there.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
If you air intake hose is cracking, youe engine mounts are probably in need of replacement
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (02-05-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 02:22 AM
Pro

The front and side mounts are less than 6 months old. I suspect the rear mount or trans mount, as they are original.
The air intake is brand new,, and installed less than 2 weeks ago. I will check to see if it has come loose or a connector is loose somewhere.
Thank you for the advice.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Pro

The problem has been found. The car was taken to a local well established repair shop. They found the problem is that harmonic balancer is coming apart. No wonder I couldn't find it. that would explain the horrible vibration from the engine driving it the other day. I will source one and have it installed.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (02-07-2017)