Squeaks In Dash & Area Of Gear Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Squeaks In Dash & Area Of Gear Shifter

Has anyone noticed that the RL tends to squeak and make cracking sounds? I don't know if its the wood in the dash settling, or if its the 6 discs in the drive, or if its the gear shifter. I do know that it is a little annoying. I have a 06 RL with a little over 3000 miles on it.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cyngod
Has anyone noticed that the RL tends to squeak and make cracking sounds? I don't know if its the wood in the dash settling, or if its the 6 discs in the drive, or if its the gear shifter. I do know that it is a little annoying. I have a 06 RL with a little over 3000 miles on it.

I don't know about 2006 models, but Service Bulletin (06-017) dated April 11, 2006, covers "all 2005 RL's" for "Instrument Panel or Center Console Creaks or Rattles." I thought Acura had taken care of this problem with the newer models.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

It does not appear that they did. After hitting my fair share of bumps and potholes here in NYC, the car creaks.....
Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I currently experience the minor creaking/squeaking sound on the wood dash area when going over bumps or coming to a stop. I am gettting used to it though, but I will some day bring the car to correct the problem. I don't think they "fixed" the problem for 06.

If I push around the gear shifter area it does make some creaking sound. It however doesn't make any sound during driving.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Intermediate

It is truly annoying. Thanks for your reply
Old 07-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Instructor

I just got an 06 three weeks ago and i heard the creaking the moment i drove it off the lot!!! Its the only thing i do not like about the car. Im hopping they will disapear with time, i really dont want to dealer to take apart the dash of my brand new car.

Phil
Old 07-17-2006, 05:44 PM
The Doctor

I understand your pain! It is however that after reading the service manual it's really not that hard to take out the center console and/or the upper dash wood trim. I suspect that it's probably the clips that are making the noises. I would take it to the dealer and demand the fix. I would fix the creaks/squeaks myself but I am too busy, and also if I break any clips I will have to get some from the dealer. Plus, the dealer will apply some felt pads per TSB on the stuff that they remove, thus preventing future creaks (hopefully).

Originally Posted by philgates
I just got an 06 three weeks ago and i heard the creaking the moment i drove it off the lot!!! Its the only thing i do not like about the car. Im hopping they will disapear with time, i really dont want to dealer to take apart the dash of my brand new car.

Phil
Old 07-17-2006, 07:48 PM
mwm
Advanced

I've got creaks too!

I have an 06 RL purchased July3rd. I have creaking sound from the center console when starting and stopping. Have an appointment on Wednesday for the service department to fix. It is very annoying. I traded an 05 RL that was creak free..... go figure.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:48 PM
mwm
Advanced

Can someone post the TSB? "Service Bulletin (06-017) dated April 11, 2006"
Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mwm
I have an 06 RL purchased July3rd. I have creaking sound from the center console when starting and stopping. Have an appointment on Wednesday for the service department to fix. It is very annoying. I traded an 05 RL that was creak free..... go figure.
That's funny -- I traded an '05 for an '06 because my '05 rattled and squeaked like 2 hamsters on coke with a rusty exercise wheel.

The '06 has *knock wood* been fine.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Instructor

Maybe they sold me an 05 but called it an 06....GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mwm
Can someone post the TSB? "Service Bulletin (06-017) dated April 11, 2006"
Here's a link to TSB 06-017, Interior - Instrument Panel and or Console Creaks and or Rattles:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Acura/114...017/index.html
Old 07-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

my creaks came about after upgrading the suspension, had them for about good 4-5 months and now gone, hope they don't return...they were mostly in the shifter area.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:08 PM
mwm
Advanced

Thanks

Thanks for the link dadcat1
Old 07-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
MWM -- did your Wednesday appointment solve the creaking problem. I've got a spanking new RL that exhibits the same creak when accelerating or stopping briskly. Not a big deal, but I'd like to eliminate it. The TSBs mentioned didn't seem to address the apparent source of the sound.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
That's funny -- I traded an '05 for an '06 because my '05 rattled and squeaked like 2 hamsters on coke with a rusty exercise wheel.

my 06 has been dead quite. I love it!
Old 07-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jftjr

Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 AM
mwm
Advanced

Update After Service

Well, unfortunately the service tech was not able to completely eliminate my creaking, however, it is significantly better. We (me and the tech) took it for a test ride when I picked it up and he was flabbergasted that the creak was still there. It is very minor now when starting and stopping. I decided to drive it for a couple of weeks to let it all settle out and then take it back for final adjustment. He told me he performed the TSB and put felt lining on all the parts underneath. I believe anyone experiencing this problem can have it fixed with the TSB recommendations. I will get them to recheck and do final tweaks next visit. Other than that, still loving my new 06 RL.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:46 AM
The Doctor

did they perform everything on the TSB or just the center console that you had the problem with?

Originally Posted by mwm
Well, unfortunately the service tech was not able to completely eliminate my creaking, however, it is significantly better. We (me and the tech) took it for a test ride when I picked it up and he was flabbergasted that the creak was still there. It is very minor now when starting and stopping. I decided to drive it for a couple of weeks to let it all settle out and then take it back for final adjustment. He told me he performed the TSB and put felt lining on all the parts underneath. I believe anyone experiencing this problem can have it fixed with the TSB recommendations. I will get them to recheck and do final tweaks next visit. Other than that, still loving my new 06 RL.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
mwm
Advanced

Originally Posted by UW RL
did they perform everything on the TSB or just the center console that you had the problem with?
As far as I know, they only worked on the console around the shifter.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Has anyone tried to tackle a dash creak on their own? My RL is creaking on the right side of the radio stack where the dash just to the left side of the glovebox touches the vertical silver trim. You can touch it and hear the creaking, which also happens when you accelerate or go over even small bumps.

I hate to bring the car in just for that -- but I'm not sure I can wait for the next oil change (which would be its first).

Rob
Old 08-09-2006, 06:47 PM
mwm
Advanced

2nd try at dealer

Just returned Monday from the dealer to fix the creaking console for the 2nd time. They worked on the problem for hours. The sound was gone, non-existent, when I left the dealership, however, it is back today.....

I would not attempt a self repair, given the fact that the tech's cannot even fix the problem after two attempts.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:17 PM
5th Gear

Anyone tried fixing the creaking themselves?

I've had my 06RL for about two months and have a great amount of creaking on the right side of the radio stack where it meets the wood trim. I have reviewed the TSB 06-017 (thanks dadcat 1) and would like to try to fix it myself...as I have had to do with numerous other vehicles in the past. The problem is always getting the proper instructions on how to take the appropriate panels apart without damaging them. The TSB refers to the service manual pages 20-91 thru 20-109 for these instructions. My question is can these pages be obtained online without being an Acura service department or has anyone had an Acura dealer fax them a copy of needed pages out of the service manual? Since I live over 120 miles from the nearest dealer maybe I should break down and buy the complete manual for this repair and any future "do-it-myself" efforts. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:03 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by mwm
I would not attempt a self repair, given the fact that the tech's cannot even fix the problem after two attempts.
Also, if (when!) you finally need to take it in for service because your attempts to fix it yourself have failed, I think you're going to have warranty problems. Given that these types of noise gremlins can be quite difficult to eliminate, and there's an awful lot of stuff under that dash lid, I think you're better off having the dealer fix it... this way, you have someone to yell at when it's not right.

Given that it's warranty work and probably over 2 hours, they should give you a loaner car for the time it's in the shop.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dwest1023
HIS RL is really MY RL, and she's quiet as a mouse...
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by raider4
I've had my 06RL for about two months and have a great amount of creaking on the right side of the radio stack where it meets the wood trim. I have reviewed the TSB 06-017 (thanks dadcat 1) and would like to try to fix it myself...as I have had to do with numerous other vehicles in the past. The problem is always getting the proper instructions on how to take the appropriate panels apart without damaging them. The TSB refers to the service manual pages 20-91 thru 20-109 for these instructions. My question is can these pages be obtained online without being an Acura service department or has anyone had an Acura dealer fax them a copy of needed pages out of the service manual? Since I live over 120 miles from the nearest dealer maybe I should break down and buy the complete manual for this repair and any future "do-it-myself" efforts. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
I was able to diminish a similar creak/squeak from the exact same location. In my case the radio stack was making overly solid contact with the dashboard just behind it (the area just to the left of the glovebox door).

Should you decide to try this, you do so at your own risk!

If your interior is black, then my first solution should work (my car is grey). I cut a 3/8-inch wide strip of black velcro about the length of the radio stack. I used the fuzzy side, not the hook/loop side, and do NOT use sticky back velcro. I placed the velcro, fuzzy side down (towards the dashboard), and, using a slim flathead screwdriver, gently pushed it between the center stack and the dashboard material. Sometimes the velcro slides in without pushing, and this is not where the noise is coming from. The noise, in my case, was where the velcro was hard to push in. In this case, the screwdriver has to slide under the stack with the velcro beneath it.

You have to be very careful not to scratch the center stack. I strongly recommend that you do this wearing a headlamp, and not trying to balance a flashlight or use ambient light. My pushing technique was to simply place the fabric beneath the head of the screwdriver and use the driver head to guide it under the stack. You may have to press a little hard on the dash piece to slide the velcro in. Be very deliberate and patient.

When I first tried this, I left some of the velcro sticking way out, in case it didn't work, or needed adjustment. Once you are confident that the squeak is gone, you can position the velcro with more care so it can't easily be seen. I have a grey interior, so ended up using a piece of silver-grey cloth from a fabric store.

Once I saw the TSB and the use of wool pads, I figured that I could do something similar without taking anything apart. And it is completely reversible.

I hope this helps.

Rob
Old 08-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob144
I was able to diminish a similar creak/squeak from the exact same location. In my case the radio stack was making overly solid contact with the dashboard just behind it (the area just to the left of the glovebox door).

If your interior is black, then my first solution should work (my car is grey). I cut a 3/8-inch wide strip of black velcro about the length of the radio stack. I used the fuzzy side, not the hook/loop side, and do NOT use sticky back velcro. I placed the velcro, fuzzy side down (towards the dashboard), and, using a slim flathead screwdriver, gently pushed it between the center stack and the dashboard material. Sometimes the velcro slides in without pushing, and this is not where the noise is coming from. The noise, in my case, was where the velcro was hard to push in. In this case, the screwdriver has to slide under the stack with the velcro beneath it.

You have to be very careful not to scratch the center stack. I strongly recommend that you do this wearing a headlamp, and not trying to balance a flashlight or use ambient light. My pushing technique was to simply place the fabric beneath the head of the screwdriver and use the driver head to guide it under the stack. You may have to press a little hard on the dash piece to slide the velcro in. Be very deliberate and patient.

When I first tried this, I left some of the velcro sticking way out, in case it didn't work, or needed adjustment. Once you are confident that the squeak is gone, you can position the velcro with more care so it can't easily be seen. I have a grey interior, so ended up using a piece of silver-grey cloth from a fabric store.

Once I saw the TSB and the use of wool pads, I figured that I could do something similar without taking anything apart. And it is completely reversible.

I hope this helps.

Rob
After reading more closely, you mentioned that the noise comes from where the wood meets the center stack. I also thought the same thing on mine until I narrowed it down. My velcro technique also works where the lower part of the wood trim meets the dash between the glovebox and radio stack. The downside is that it does increase the contact point between the wood and the radio stack.

The source of the creak was hard to narrow down, and our respective creaks might be different.

Rob
Old 08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cyngod

My 06 is perfectly quit. Has less than 4K, so maybe the creeks are on the way.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:22 AM
The Doctor

Hey Rob, you got any photos of your project? My poping/squeaking sound is from the very similar area that you described which I can reproduce by pressing/pulling the wood piece that's between the glovebox and the silver trim.

Originally Posted by Rob144

I hope this helps.

Rob
Old 08-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I prepared a simple picture, but I can't seem to upload it from my hard drive into this post. I gather that pictures need to be hosted somewhere online, and I have no host. Perhaps you can PM me and I can send it.

Here's an attempted stick figure instead.

----------------------------
=== [] === _______________==
|------| / | glovebox |
\|......|/ | |
| () |<---- area where I put velcro behind the stack.
|- -|
|------|

Rob
Old 08-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Angry

Ugh -- I took too long to edit the post and for some reason my stick figure got compressed. Apologies.

Rob
Old 08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Fixed it today

Hi All... new to the forum. I'm glad I found it! I bought an 06 RL in June.
Long story short... I was reading posts in here and found this one about the 'squeaks' I hadn't noticed any until I read this thread and decided to turn my radio down enough to listen. Sure enough I had them too. Mostly located in the center console and around the shifter. Anytime I would accelerate, corner hard, or brake...I would get a whole host of sounds. I was almost sorry I decided to listen for them, because once I knew they were there, I was totally preoccupied with them.
I took the TSB you had listed in here.. in with my car. They had it overnight and today it's noise free.... Quiet as a dead church mouse.
I was impressed with the treatment at the dealer. The service manager stopped the kid who was handing me the keys to a TSX loaner...and made him go back and get me a new TL.
Actually, taking it in was the best thing that could have happened, because driving the TL reinforced why I went with the RL. Anyone who wonders "Why spend the extra $$ for the RL" when the TL has near the horsepower and interior room.. need only drive them back to back to realize. Every surface you touch in the RL is superior, the sound proofing, softness and grade of the leather seats and especially head rests... the crisp highs in the stereo (Although I think the TL had more base)... and the bank vault feel of the doors opening and closing.
Now that my RL is as quiet as a Lexus... I'm no longer debating whether I should have gotten one!
Thanks again guys. Keep posting!
-Navy Doc
Old 08-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Advanced

I've placed felt pads all over the shift plate and around the stereo trip and wood panels - - still have creaking!!! I've even taken the car to the Acura dealer to apply the TSB. The TSB removed some of the creaks around the shift plate, but many others are still present.

Look at the TSB closely - Do want Acura techs pulling apart your dash?! Be careful. Everytime I take my car to the Acura dealer they break/scuff something else. . . the last time was a damaged bumper.

I agree these creaks are sooo frustrating. . . the only bad thing about this car - sigh!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Instructor

We're not alone

Just in case you thought this forum was the only one complaining of squeaks and creaks. Here's a link to a Lexus forum... I guess they're not immune to the same problems that plague RL. Even similar stories about the dealers service dept's shrugging their shoulders at how to fix it.
-Navy Doc

Oh and by the way.. I did find two small 'nicks' in the dash from when they were working on fixing my creaks. I have fixed them myself with a little vinyl repair. Virtually invisible now... but still annoyed that it happened.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Whoops...forgot the link

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175440
Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 PM
mwm
Advanced

UPDATE - 3rd FIX

Took my '06 RL for the THIRD time to fix the center console creaking. The tech. rode with me and could not believe the prior fixes did not hold. Long story short.... it appears that the fixes this time are really going to work. Silent as a mouse on the ride home. By the way, they gave me an RDX loaner. Fun to drive but boy is it loud...
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 PM
5th Gear

mwm...care to tell us who the dealer is where you got the creaking fixed...and the service tech who worked on your car? Sometimes it is easier to talk to someone who finally found out how to fix a problem, even if it took three attempts, than to have some other tech go through his own on the job training. I just hate to think about having to have my dash disassembled three times! Did you notice any scratching or other damage after it was finally fixed?
Old 08-26-2006, 08:22 AM
mwm
Advanced

The dealer is Sutton Acura in Macon, GA. I'd rather not post the service tech's name. I have no damage. Basically, they just removed the shift plate and the surrounding plastic and placed felt underneath.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mwm
The dealer is Sutton Acura in Macon, GA. I'd rather not post the service tech's name. I have no damage. Basically, they just removed the shift plate and the surrounding plastic and placed felt underneath.
I've been through that at the dealer and it fixed most of the creaks around the shift plate, but now the creaks are coming from all over the dash - center, left, right, top, etc. Seems to happen more often when the interior is very hot, although I seem to recall the simptoms started last winter when the interior was cold. Apparently has to do with expanding and contracting parts.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dadcat1
Here's a link to TSB 06-017, Interior - Instrument Panel and or Console Creaks and or Rattles:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Acura/114...017/index.html
Is there an updated link? Seems like this one stopped working.