Spoiler Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler Install

Has anyone got the spoiler installed? Did you have the dealer do it or did you do it yourself? I really want it but am scared to have someone drill holes in the trunk and am thinking about useing 3m tape and not useing the screws or drilling holes. Especially since the trunk is alluminum. It seems pretty light and narrow and I have heard of people useing good tape before for lip spoiler installs. What do you all think. Thanks
Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had put a spoiler on my TL with the 3M tape. As long as you use heavy duty 3M tape it should hold fine. OTOH, the dealers are pretty experienced in doing it and will do a good job.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:57 AM
Instructor

I had one done by the dealer. They did a good job. Also I did help my brother to install his, on the TL. It was very easy, since if you get the original Acura part they provide a template where to drill holes etc. The only problem that we had was the extra weight support bars. He needed extra tool to install them. So the dealer installed them for $20 for him.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazytsxmods
Has anyone got the spoiler installed? Did you have the dealer do it or did you do it yourself? I really want it but am scared to have someone drill holes in the trunk and am thinking about useing 3m tape and not useing the screws or drilling holes. Especially since the trunk is alluminum. It seems pretty light and narrow and I have heard of people useing good tape before for lip spoiler installs. What do you all think. Thanks
I ordered mine from e-bay and got it in within 7 days already painted. Did the 05 NBP when I had it (before it got hit) and then the 06 WDP that I have now. The color match is asolutely spot on.

It is very easy installation...I had to drill 4 10mm holes but with the screw/hole locaters that come with the spoiler it was simple and acurate...45 minutes and I was done...most of that time was removing the liner and letting the touch up paint dry when I painted the holes as a preventative measure. The screws lined up perfectly and the spoiler looks very nice.

Good luck...Z
Old 12-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Instructor

Thanks guy's. I think I will buy the drill bits and do it myself. I feel more comfortable doing it myself than having the dealer do it. The only reason I was curious is on the MDX the thick body side molding is about the same size and only held on by tape and it holds on perfectly. This way if I got tired of the spoiler or change my mind I could clean the tape off instead of seeing a bodyshop. I wish I could see one in person in my color with it. I will stop by my dealer later and see if I can find one. If anyone has one on there RL do you regret it or like it? I think it adds a nice sporty look and is not to big. I like the way the TLs lip spoiler looks in person so that made me want one for the RL.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Crazy -

Let's get together this week and I'll show you mine. My gray is a little darker than yours, but I think you'll get the picture. I'd like to see the differences in your '06. I'm curious if you feel the same engine thrashing at 3500 RPM in your '06 that many of us notice in the '05. . .

-Steve