Some unsolicited comments about my RL

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Some unsolicited comments about my RL

I was at the tire shop this morning to have my new tires mounted and balanced (that's another thread...sigh at the TPMS monitors ). When my car rolled in, people started commenting on how good it looked.

One gent felt the rear was well-planted and aggressive-looking. Most other comments centered on how sporty it looked. I was asked about features and at least one person was familiar with SH-AWD. Another guy was shocked at what I paid for it, and in particular was pleased at the "all options standard" approach that Acura takes.

One Audi owner told me about engine problems that are apparently common with the A6 line (wasn't aware of that...I like the A6, myself ) and said he might look at some Acuras.

I was pleasantly surprised at the positive comments about the RL. It convinces me that more exposure (and better lease deals) can help this model. it's definitely a stealth car for the motoring masses.

As much as we knock Acura about the RL, I certainly have a great deal of appreciation for mine.

BTW, got my first dent in the RL yesterday. Someone accidently bumped my car, hard, and now there's a small dent in the passenger side fender. Waaaaaaaah! Have no idea who it was. I'll have to find a Dent Wizard in my area, I guess, and start planning to add a 3rd bay to my garage so I can keep it inside now.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Bummer about the dent. I go out of my way such as parking away from other cars to lessen the chance of getting dinged, but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

I have received more compliments on the RL than I did with the Audi S4, and that's saying something. Just a damn good looking vehicle, especially after washing and waxing the car; it looks as good as the day I drove it off the dealer's lot.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
When I give coworkers rides between sites they are astounded with the amount of standard features, especially the voice commands. Then I tell them I paid ~$40k for it they are flaberghasted.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
...I'll have to find a Dent Wizard in my area...
I've used the paintless dent guys a bunch. It's amazing what a good one can do.

As for the third bay. Won't do you any good, it'll just fill up with more "stuff."

LL
Old 07-20-2008, 07:34 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
That's where this car is an enigma. When people get up close they truly are impressed with BOTH the features and the looks. It is handsome and muscular. Not over the top like a body builder, but like a guy (unlike me) who is well toned who has been working out.

As we have stated here over and over, I am convinced that the Acura brand, and in particular the RL is a victim of it's own ineptitude when it comes to marketing itself. Road test prove the RL has gone toe-to-toe with the competition and held it's own, and in many cases bested that competition.

But it's still invisible.

I'm beginning to buy into the "better leasing" theory. People who are purely shopping monthly payments and want a new car every two or three years don't even look at this car because of the rates.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I seem to get lots of compliments on my car. People are usually like oh my thats a nice car or they ask what kind of car is that. Some people usually look like oh wow thats an acura?? Is that the 09 model? That question usually cracks me up. People seem real surprised that its an 05. Since i've put rims on my car it just looks sooo much better. Especially after a wax.

The best thing is when the car is parked somewhere and you walk up and hear someone talking about how nice that car looks or how that is such a great looking car and you walk up and place ur hands in the door handle and the door opens and the lights come on. People just seem to stare in amazement.

Its also great to give someone a ride and have them open the door and see all the blue lights that light up when the door is open and how it dims down when the door closes and just stays on so dim it looks great. Even though its so simple it looks great. Then when they see all the buttons they just seem amazed. Its like the more buttons you have the more luxurious your car is. And the SH-AWD makes driving soo much fun. Even people who arent car enthusiast go WOW!!! when they see how well the RL can handle a curve and accelerate through it. The power is an understatement. The best thing is using the Nav system by voice control to find streets and cities and having it work. Or when you change the radio or temperture by voice. And even though you hate to see it happen if the car detects something it pops up on the nav then starts reading it out loud to you. I think that is just amazing. Oh and the bluetooth........ thats another story. Sorry i get kind of passionate when i start thinking about how great our car is.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think there is a dent wizard on miles rd by Marshall goldman. they did a nice job back in 05 on my X-type
Old 07-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by kssod
I think there is a dent wizard on miles rd by Marshall goldman. they did a nice job back in 05 on my X-type
Thanks! Will check it out.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
angel eye RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i got my Rl...i was shopping around for a mb...a clk 350 and a Eclass....and somehow jumped on the rl...and was glad...way more options and better looking...all my family members liked the RL better than all the MB we looked at...cause i am young and wanted the mb logo..ha...but im happy now with the rl..i think im becoming a true rl fan...
Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I too looked at a few cars and ended up with the RL. I've gotten some nice reviews. Its definitely an amazing car and looks really cool. Today, I was coming back from the post office and saw the front of my car. I tell you, it looks amazing with the way the halogen lights and the grille are setup. Nicely put together. Its an aggressive looking car. A real gem.