Software Bugs Me

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Software Bugs Me

What bugs you the most about the RL's software?

1 - Every morning I get into the car and it's dark with the headlights set to Auto - There is a chime that just won't quit until I have loaded everything in the car and closed the door. Every afternoon I get the same chime because I park in a garage and the sensor thinks that it is dark. I could turn Auto off but I would rather turn the idiot chime off.
2 - I get on the freeway and set the cruise. I then have to set the MID again to one of the limited choices in cruise. Sometimes I have to hit cancel a few times to avoid driving situations and every time when I re enable cruise, I have to reset the MID.
3 - If I want the rear shade up then I shouldn't have to push a button everytime I go from Reverse to D. If it is selected as Up then it should return on its own.
4 - I want to load a CD or eject a CD. I should be able to do this by selecting a menu all while listening to the radio.
5 - Outside Temp should be available for all to see at all times. I.E. it should be selectable on the LCD not on the MID. I suggest that it should be shown when A/C is selected as a menu on the LCD.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:29 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must have an '05.

# 1 and 2 were fixed on the '06.

(3, 4, and 5 I consider to be really, really, nitpicky. )
Old 11-10-2006, 08:42 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
What bugs you the most about the RL's software?

1 - Every morning I get into the car and it's dark with the headlights set to Auto - There is a chime that just won't quit until I have loaded everything in the car and closed the door. Every afternoon I get the same chime because I park in a garage and the sensor thinks that it is dark. I could turn Auto off but I would rather turn the idiot chime off.
2 - I get on the freeway and set the cruise. I then have to set the MID again to one of the limited choices in cruise. Sometimes I have to hit cancel a few times to avoid driving situations and every time when I re enable cruise, I have to reset the MID.
3 - If I want the rear shade up then I shouldn't have to push a button everytime I go from Reverse to D. If it is selected as Up then it should return on its own.
4 - I want to load a CD or eject a CD. I should be able to do this by selecting a menu all while listening to the radio.
5 - Outside Temp should be available for all to see at all times. I.E. it should be selectable on the LCD not on the MID. I suggest that it should be shown when A/C is selected as a menu on the LCD.
I guess all cars have little annoyances.

Shade issue is legit. I test drove a GS and it went down for R, back up for D. But I use the shade so infrequently I haven't had a problem with this.

I haven't had a car yet that allows you to do what you say. Load or eject a CD and it assumes you want to use the CD player.

I really really agree on the outside temp display. Several of my recent cars have had the temp displayed in the center stack array, so now my wife is always asking me what the temp is. Oddly enough, more cars are going to temp displays in the gauge cluster for some reason. The recent Lexuses (not sure about the LS), the new '07 G35, even my wife's Caddy has it in the gauges where only the driver can easily see it.

I'd like to see it integrated into the Nav screen, or even put it in the little hooded display area instead of the radio station.

And while you're at it, I want the little phone icon that shows BT is active, like in my TL!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I've thought about the sunshade thing, too, and can see justification for keeping the shade down.

I bet that the first thought is that they want the driver to take an active role in putting up the sunshade every time. Much like the Navigation Nag screen.

But, let's say you are parking outside in the daytime with the shade up, and by the time you leave it is evening. You back out of your spot, the shade goes down, and when you go into drive, the shade goes back up, and then you have to put it back down again. I suppose that they could add logic to notice that the headlights were on, but now things start getting complicated.

More annoying for me is that to reset the average speed, you also must reset the trip "A" odometer. I can see that I'm going to have to reset A and B for each fill-up, and remember to reset the average speed indicator and use the B trip to track my per-tank miles if I want to track average speed for a particular leg of a trip.

I guess for every feature, there's going to be someone irritated by the way it works (or doesn't). I say, lucky us -- we're driving RLs!

Rob144