Ski Racks ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Ski Racks ????

I have a 2005 RL and love it but am currently frustrated that I have not yet been able to find a ski rack for the roof. I know that there is a pass through to the trunk but when my wife and I go skiing our cross counrty skis are too long to comfortably run into the trunk.

I have checked both Yakima and Thule and neither yet make a rack that will fit the RL roof.

Has anyone found a roof rack that will work on the RL?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:04 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont believe anyone makes one for the RL yet. This may be because of the way the doors seal, but I'm hoping that someone will make one soon.

BTW, I found out the hard way that a snowboard will not fit through the pass-thru.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, hey, we're all in the same boat. I live in NorCal and called the RackNRoad here. Supposedly they would be the experts for custom fitting something. The guy I talked to gave up without even trying. He said, "If neither Yakima or Thule have anything, then we don't have anything." The backseat pass-through is only good for skis. Probably only 2 pairs tops at that. Maybe we can start a mass email or something to Yakima and Thule. I resorted to a $30 snowboard bag and tossed my board in the back seat. But that severely limits the number of friends you can take up with you.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear

Foot Pack from Thule

Thule makes a foot pack # 278 for the RL thur 2004. Check with Thule if it will fit the newer RL. If so all you need is the attachments and the bars.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

saw an RL with ski racks

I saw an 05' RL with ski racks in the parking lot at Cisco Systems in San Jose a couple of months ago, no idea about the manufacturer
Old 01-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I have a 2005 RL and love it but am currently frustrated that I have not yet been able to find a ski rack for the roof. I know that there is a pass through to the trunk but when my wife and I go skiing our cross counrty skis are too long to comfortably run into the trunk.

I have checked both Yakima and Thule and neither yet make a rack that will fit the RL roof.

Has anyone found a roof rack that will work on the RL?
Saris claims that they have one that will fit.

http://www.saris.com/fit/fitoverview.asp
Old 01-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Moto Enthusiast

This is the response I got from Yakima after emailing them:

Thank You for your inquiry about Yakima Products, Inc!

Our marvelous Yakima Fit Team is currently racking their brains out, assessing a rack fit for your vehicle. Generally, this means that we will have a fit for your vehicle sometime in the near future, but not always. Sometimes we find that there is no way to fit your vehicle; in this case, we will upgrade this note to a "No Fit" status. Otherwise, we will list what towers, clips, and bars will work for you. Please be patient, though, there are a lot of new vehicles out there on the road today for our hard working team to check out! I will log that you would like a rack for your car. That will help show that there is a demand for it.

If you have any other questions, please contact Customer Service at 888-925-4621 7am to 5pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday. If you reply to this email, please include all previous correspondence.

Thank you,

Yakima Support
Old 01-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
Saris claims that they have one that will fit.

http://www.saris.com/fit/fitoverview.asp
Because they appear to use session variables for the car you pick I've copied the relevant contents here:

2005 ACURA RL

Here are the Saris racks and accessories that fit your vehicle and carrying needs. You can read an overview of the products below and then use the Results menu on the left to learn more about the ones you are interested in. This fit search is meant as a guide. Please consult with a dealer before making your final decision.
59" Load Bars 902
Your vehicle requires the following clips: Front 24, Rear 24.
The 59" foundation of the Saris roof rack system. Carries bikes, skis, snowboards, kayaks, canoes, cartop boats, sailboards and surfboards. See accessories below to fit your needs.
* Place front load bar over front doors and rear load bar over rear doors.

Bikes
Upright Mount 911
911 Upright Mount: Let your bike stand proud! Fits most bikes with tubing up to 2” in diameter. Our upright mounts have finger-shaped clamps that grip your bike just as tightly as you would if you were humming along at 60 miles per hour.

Fork Mount Long Tray 922
922 Fork Mount Long Tray: Our most popular fork mount, designed for smaller cars as well as full-sized. Outside of earthquakes, asteroids, and low-flying aircraft, our ruggedly built fork mounts can withstand just about anything.

Locking Cable 980
980 Locking Cable: Thick 5/16” rubber coated cable keeps punks from snatching your gear. Cable is 108” long, so it can secure your bikes, wheels, boats, friends, or anything else you may haul around on your roof. Ends slide into accessory channel, then lock with load bars.

Wheel Holder WHL1
WHL1 Carries your front wheel or extra wheels. Accepts wheel with little or not skewer adjustment.

Canoe
Gunnel Brackets 953
953 Gunnel Brackets: Set of 4 brackets provides shoulder support for boats, canoes, dinghies, and various other means of escape. Also great for lumber, ladders, and other heavy stuff.

Cargo Box
Cargo Box 944
944 Cargo Box: If you’re the type of person who has everything, you could probably use something to carry it around in. Our cargo box is perfect for skis, golf clubs, fishing rods and other long stuff.

Kayaks
Watersport Saddles 952
952 Watersport Paddles: When it comes time to get you and your vessel to the water, there’s no quicker way than Saris. Set of 4 saddles/gunnel brackets – saddles rotate to the shape of your hull. Simple removal of saddles gives you a set of gunnel brackets.

Skis
Ski / Snowboard Carrier 930
930 Ski/Snowboard Carrier: When loaded with your skis or snowboard, our carriers lock tight to thwart those roving bands of thieves. Carries up to 4 pairs of skis or one to two snowboards, depending on roof clearance.

Diagonal Ski Carrier 932
932 Diagonal Ski Carrier: Saris ski carriers are designed for better aerodynamics and looks. Just like you are. Our locking carrier holds 5 pairs of skis diagonally, allowing better roof clearance.

Snowboards
Ski / Snowboard Carrier 930
930 Ski/Snowboard Carrier: When loaded with your skis or snowboard, our carriers lock tight to thwart those roving bands of thieves. Carries up to 4 pairs of skis or one to two snowboards, depending on roof clearance.

Surf/Sail Boards
Surf / Sailboard Cushions 951
951 Surf/Sailboard Cushions: Set of two polyurethane pads are solid, yet smooshy to cushion your boards. The non-slip design will hold your boards – so you’re the only one that may smack them up.

Tandem Bikes
Tandem Mount 924
924 Tandem Mount: Let your two-seater stand proud! Tandem mount holds bikes with tubing up to 2” in diameter with two upright arm assemblies. Finger-shaped clamps hold bike tightly, so you won’t have to worry your pretty little head over it.

Click here to do a new fit search.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Racer

Thanks, Nocturnal. Fred
Old 01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Racer

You're welcome