Side-view mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side-view mirrors

All,

This would be a question for all '05 RL owners. Every RL would have the standard run-of-the-mill light-sensing center mirror which automatically cuts glare - especially during night time driving. However, what i noticed was that the side-view mirrors fail to do. Consequently, while driving at night, i get this mungo glare coming from both sideview mirrors, which is really distracting! Can you provide me with suggestions or recommendations to have the side-view mirrors behave almost as the center mirror (e.g. tint it?, replace it?)?

Thanks.

P.S. During the regular RL A1 service, the dealership equipped me with a loaner '07 TL. I noticed a significant blue-ish tint on side-view mirrors. Although i drove it only during day-time, i would assume that those would do the job?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The mirrors on the RL are tinted, but not as much as on the TL.

As for the side view mirror or mirrors, most people adjust them so they can see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. If you adjust your mirrors using that criteria, are you aware of the huge blind spots that you've created? Your side view mirrors overlap much of what your inside rearview mirrors sees and you've also created blind spots. What in the solution to tunnel vision and blind spots? Simply adjust the side view mirrors just beyond the point where you could see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. With this setup, you almost completely solve the blind spot problem. It takes a little while to get used to, but it is an improvement.

Some quick tips: For the driver's side mirror: Place the side of your head against the window, then adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view. For the passenger's side mirror: While sitting in the driver's seat, lean to the right so that your head is in the car's centerline. Adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the useful tips and comments Rex...