SH-AWD Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SH-AWD Reliability

I'm wondering what the reliability of the SH-AWD on the RL (or for that matter, all the other Acura models with SH-AWD) has been.

I recall reading in this forum where someone had a failed SH-AWD control unit, resulting in the car running in only FWD mode and it took the dealer multiple attempts by replacing multiple components before they replaced the control unit, which resolved the issue. The other issue which I imagine many folks have read up on is NeuronBob's replacement of his carbon fiber drive shaft.

I know given the relatively small sample pool and the fact that it's been out only since late 2004 in the US, results may not be truly indicative....
Old 12-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Pro

The shaft replacement is due totally to the center shaft bearing, you have to replace the whole shaft to do the bearing, it is part of the shaft. This has been resolved later on in 06.

SHAWD has so far been bullet proof.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Racer

Yep, I remember reading Neuronbob's post about the bearing. If I'm not mistaken, it was causing a whine?

I'm very interested in the electronic components, including all the wonderful stuff in the rear differential which handles the SH-AWD torque transfer from left to right or vice versa. That's the stuff that I'm curious about...
Old 12-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
Yep, I remember reading Neuronbob's post about the bearing. If I'm not mistaken, it was causing a whine?

I'm very interested in the electronic components, including all the wonderful stuff in the rear differential which handles the SH-AWD torque transfer from left to right or vice versa. That's the stuff that I'm curious about...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1
Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
SH-AWD is so far rock solid reliable. We've had the one report of a control unit not working, but no one else has had that issue.

Several of us have had worn propeller shaft bearings, which is a separate issue. I indeed had a whine that went away after the shaft was replaced.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Tampa, that video did a good job of explaining the system. I've seen others like it. Unfortunately, they are usually just "advertising" type videos full of these great assertions. My experience with the system seems to indicate it DOES work well at helping with stability and control. I've even tried to intentionally mess it up on occasions and was left being very impressed However, it would be really great if someone did a true independent and measured test of the system to prove how well it truly works.

I've seen the RL benchmarked on a track against other cars and it didn't do exceptionally well. Of course, we can't be sure if that's due to a lack of effectiveness from the SHAWD or inferior suspension, etc. with the comparison car. It would be REALLY great if the SHAWD system could somehow be disabled and the same car put through a course to compare times. I'd LOVE to see something like that if anyone has it on video.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Pro

This is not official, but I have an NSX (my second one) and I have driven them for over 6 years with much grippier tires than the RL and I find my RL handles on street corners better than the NSX, more sure footed, the NSX will lose the back end while the RL just goes through, even with lesser tires and all that weight. Race track would be different, but SH-AWD really works, absolutely.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
This is not official, but I have an NSX (my second one) and I have driven them for over 6 years with much grippier tires than the RL and I find my RL handles on street corners better than the NSX, more sure footed, the NSX will lose the back end while the RL just goes through, even with lesser tires and all that weight. Race track would be different, but SH-AWD really works, absolutely.
This is also true for the s2000. Although the RL will never feel as "fun" as the S, its cornering limits are the same, not withstanding that the RL has "touring" tires and the S is shod with summer "ultra high performance" rubber.
What really iritates the sh-t out of me is that Consumer reports still states that SHAWD has no use in normal driving and that it does not improve their performance in the "emergency" test. The issue is these idiot still do not know how to use the system correctly!!!!!! I even wrote to the morons and I received a curt reply that stated that no one is expected to drive that way (accelerating through the turn)!!!! The fact that the RL can run circles around anything this side of a 911 if driven correctly does not seem to ingrain in CR's editors as "good" handling
Old 12-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
CR has the same issue with SH-AWD as the general public--they don't get it. This is largely Acura's fault for not adequately explaining what is elementary to us about SH-AWD.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
No issues with SH-AWD. It's been terrific.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Agree that you have to know how to drive the SH-AWD. I find it amazing that you can accelerate through corners and it feels more stable (also, its even better now that I have the Michilin Sports)
Bob- wondering what your whine started out as. I have just noticed a low pitched whine ( I guess more like a hummm) at low rpm. Seems to go away above 2000 rpm or it changes pitch and I do not hear it.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:37 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hope the 2009 TSX or the TL gets this wonderful technology SH-AWD!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
I hope the 2009 TSX or the TL gets this wonderful technology SH-AWD!
There have been several press statements from Acura that SHAWD will be an Acura feature on all models (perhaps optional on the TL and TSX).

Further, to better differentiate Acura from the Honda brand, SHAWD will not be offered on Honda models in the forseeable future (even if other technology trickles down into the Honda brand). But this speaks only to the North American market.

What remains to be seen is how cross branded models will fall. SHAWD iscurrently not offered on the TSX counterpart Honda EuroAccord. SHAWD is of course on the Honda LEGEND, but rumor is the LEGEND is too much car for the Honda badge and as the Acura brand expands globally, the car will be marketed as Acura RL. Of course timing of global expansion of Acura and the next gen LEGEND / RL and the NSX will likely allow the badge shifting. With the new TSX on the horizon, it appears that model will continue to be cross branded, so likely SHAWD will be optional on the Acura version.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, that's my understanding too. It seems more then a rumor that the next TSX will have two engine options. The current engine will still be offered with a slight HP boost. Also, the RDX engine along with SHAWD will be an option. I assume that second option will only be available in NA Acura's and not the Euro Accord.

Haven't heard to much about the TL powertrain but I can only assume it will be standard with SHAWD next year.