sh-awd problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:25 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sh-awd problem!!!

Hi guys, its been a long while since I have posted. Went bmw, came back to trusted and beloved Acura. Its's an 05 RL, and its been in my family since 2008 and now its mine <3.

To skip small talk, I have an annoying issue with the car. The sh-awd light comes on randomly.. generally after I drive the car for about 15 minutes. After it turns on,and im in fwd only. It's winter, i live in Toronto, Canada, lol and i really need awd. My check engine light is also on, the code is for a faulty or most likely clogged EGR valve. I might have dreamt it, so please correct me if im wrong, but i remember reading somewhere that the two issues my car is having might be interrelated......or rather the faulty egr valve is somehow causing the sh-awd to turn off.

Please chime in with any feedback. I really want to get this fixed, i just want to be more informed on what's going on.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-2016, 04:45 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
What's the code? Also, have your battery tested to see if that may be a suspect..

Aside from checking the battery, unbolt the EGR and clean the shit out of it..
Old 12-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
I don't think CEL which indicates an emission issue will disable SH-AWD. Typically only drivetrain errors cause that.

How old is the battery? A weak battery, even one that passes an Autozone test, will cause all sorts of errors even including SH-AWD. The cold weather makes the battery less conductive, so that could be your issue.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
I just replaced an o2 sensor & every time the CEL came on it would disable SH-AWD..
The following 2 users liked this post by teh CL:
oo7spy (12-16-2016), projektvertx (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
^^his shawd light is coming on.

My vote doesn't count im an amateur, but I'll call battery as well. I got one 3 months ago with considerably higher capacities than the oem one, made for hard cold weather, and even when temperatures were not so cold and i honked for 2-3 seconds at a very smart driver, cmbs light came one for a few seconds then left. I'm guessing it means the current to that sensor reduced, then came back.

I'm wondering if the central computer isn't causing less current distribution unnecessarily.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
^The SH-AWD light comes on when the rear diff disables. That's how you know.
Originally Posted by teh CL
I just replaced an o2 sensor & every time the CEL came on it would disable SH-AWD..
This is why having the car helps. Been almost 4 years since I drove mine.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
The best way is to pull the codes, if any, from the SH-awd system to know for certain. Until then it is just a guessing game.

Many inputs and outputs (sensors, actuators, etc) for the PCM are also just as critical for SH-awd control unit in order to function properly. One fault may or may not trigger multiple warning lights to illuminate on your cluster/mid/navi display. It is dependent on design/programming and varies from model to model. I have experienced an egr malfunction cause a awd failure.

Another example would be a faulty vehicle speed sensor which is monitored by the PCM, is also critical for the following- VSA/ABS, SH-awd, navi system operation. In this case one sensor can cause a powertrain, drivetrain and navi/location issue. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by CurrentDraw:
oo7spy (12-17-2016), RL09 (12-17-2016)