Rude & Unprofessional Dealer...What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rude & Unprofessional Dealer...What to do?

Hi, I just wanna share a very bad experience with a dealer here in California. I hope you guys can give me some input of what you think, or what I should do.

To make long story short, I was promised a very good deal on a RL, but when I came down to finalize the deal, was told that it wasn't gonna happen. I was already pissed because before I came down to this dealer, I called up the salesman and asked about whether he was going to give me the deal, and he said yes. Then there was this dude, Rick (not a real name), I guess he was an assistant manager, trying to persuade me to buy the RL. I told him I wanted the price that they promised me earlier, if not, then I'm leaving. Then he started to talked about my education, what's my line of work, and it seemed as though he was insulting my intelligence, my girlfriend who was there with me, thought so too. Well, at this point, I was so darn pissed and the manager came and calmed me down. After explaining the situation, I immediately left. As I stepped out of the door, Rick came out and still offering me a price. I told him I'm not interested and at this point, I was already boiling. Then after I insisted on my price, he was pissed off and yelled at me "Get out of here!" and walked inside. I was shocked and hurled profanity at him and left.

What do you guys think? I seriously think this is very unprofessional and rude on their part. Do you think I should pursue this matter straight to the president of the company, or just let it go?

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:38 AM
Intermediate

Where in california is this? Which dealership?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:42 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Acura Client Services and file a complaint, also talk to his manager. There is NO excuse for them to be rude to a customer trying to buy a car that isn't even selling well to begin with.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would send a certified letter explaining EXACTLY what happened to the Owner/GM of the dealership as well as American Honda/ Acura Client Services. I agree with 03coupev6, there is NO excuse for them to be this way - doesn't matter if you are buying a car or have already bought a car.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:15 AM
office monkey

hahaha you got to it when people benefit from someone buying their product and act like this.

Humans...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dsianand
What do you guys think? I seriously think this is very unprofessional and rude on their part. Do you think I should pursue this matter straight to the president of the company, or just let it go?
How far you pursue it is up to you; however I would absolutely NOT "just let it go" And it goes without saying that I would absolutely NOT buy there and give them 1 penny more.

And of course I would name dealerships and names on website forums such as this one.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Instructor

+1 on documentation and escalation. Perhaps you can parlay it into an even bigger discount at another dealer if AHM wants to ante up a little to make you happy.

On another note, I think you handled it well. I would probably have gotten myself locked up or beat up.....or both.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Hi, I just wanna share a very bad experience with a dealer here in California. I hope you guys can give me some input of what you think, or what I should do.

To make long story short, I was promised a very good deal on a RL, but when I came down to finalize the deal, was told that it wasn't gonna happen. I was already pissed because before I came down to this dealer, I called up the salesman and asked about whether he was going to give me the deal, and he said yes. Then there was this dude, Rick (not a real name), I guess he was an assistant manager, trying to persuade me to buy the RL. I told him I wanted the price that they promised me earlier, if not, then I'm leaving. Then he started to talked about my education, what's my line of work, and it seemed as though he was insulting my intelligence, my girlfriend who was there with me, thought so too. Well, at this point, I was so darn pissed and the manager came and calmed me down. After explaining the situation, I immediately left. As I stepped out of the door, Rick came out and still offering me a price. I told him I'm not interested and at this point, I was already boiling. Then after I insisted on my price, he was pissed off and yelled at me "Get out of here!" and walked inside. I was shocked and hurled profanity at him and left.

Thanks.

File a complaint with the local BBB regarding bait and switch tactics. Make sure you get the names and amounts right.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies guys. This dealer is in Riverside, Acura of Riverside.

I thought of filing a complaint with BBB, but then at that time I was too furious to remember any names, except the first salesman who lied to me about the deal. So without names, I guess I can't do anything about it if I wanted to.
I might write this matter to Acura Client Services like you guys mentioned and explained the situation.

On the bright side, I've just purchased an RL and will take delivery today, can't wait. ) On the down side, Acura of Riverside is the closest Acura near my house and most convenient for service. But I will not ever step foot into that dealer again. I guess I have to sacrifice and go somewhere else, sigh.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

You can still file with the BBB. The complaint will go on their record at the BBB even without names. I would also still write to ACS.

Congratulations on the new car! What color combo? Make sure you post pictures! Any accessories? Price (before ttl)?

Old 09-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Advanced

I've never had any experiences with BBB/ACS, was wondering if I file a complaint with them, what would they do? I don't want to resolve this matter, as there's nothing to be resolve anyway. I just want to get the words out how this dealer handles their customers in a very rude and unprofessionalism manner.

I was contemplating on NBP/Parchment interior, but considering how difficult it is to maintain a black car, I decided to go with WhitePearl/Parchment combo. Price paid is $41,129 before ttl. You think it's a good price? I will definitely post pictures if anybody can tell me how to do so.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Basically the BBB will send your letter to the dealership to let them know there was a complaint on file. They can respond to it if they want (probably sending you an appology). It will go on their record with the BBB - if enough people complain they will issue a warning about the dealership and possibly kick them out of the BBB - similar to Cingular in the New York area.

As far as ACS - the same thing, they will contact you regarding the issue and appologize and also contact the dealership for comment. They basically get a slap on the wrist - but it will get an appology for you and they may even decide to change their attitudes.

Yes, great price - actually excellent price. I paid 45 for mine just a couple months ago.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the info vp911. I do have another question. What do you think of buying a car that has 90 miles on it?
I was supposed to jump in on White/Parchment, but I changed my mind to go for NBP/Parchment, but the NBP has 90 miles on it. What do you think?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Well - of course I would be worried about how it was driven in the first 90 miles - could be very hard driving. I know at my dealer the sales guy took me out in another car and was pushing it VERY hard. I don't think any damage can be done to the engine - but some people would say a lot of damage can occur. I am not an expert on this though. I would say go for it - or ask them for a dealer trade on it or ask them when the next one in that color combo is coming in.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Advanced

I think I'm just gonna bit my tounge and go for it. The reason why I changed my mind is because I had to wait until Friday for a White/Parchment combo because the car hasn't arrived at the lot yet. And they had a Black/Parchment, which is my second option color combo. I couldn't wait that long to drive a new RL. Cross finger, hopefully the car will not have any problem.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Three days seems like a long time, but really isn't - IF it is really the color combo you want. If you really want white/parch then wait for it, you will probably regret the color later if you don't. If you realy want the black then go for it. Either way, personally I think they both look excellent
Old 09-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Unemployed or retired?

I think I'm just gonna bit my tounge and go for it. The reason why I changed my mind is because I had to wait until Friday for a White/Parchment combo because the car hasn't arrived at the lot yet. And they had a Black/Parchment, which is my second option color combo. I couldn't wait that long to drive a new RL. Cross finger, hopefully the car will not have any problem.
If you are talking about black exterior I would think twice if you haven't had a black car befrore. A real pain in the butt to keep looking good and will show the slightest surface transgression.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Advanced

oh man, now you're making me think twice again. Actually, my initial preference color combo was Black/Parchment, but my girlfriend likes white. She convinced me to get the white one. I know 3 days isn't too long of a wait, but I just couldn't wait any longer. I kept thinking about it all day long, hehe.

I had a black car once, and I know it's pretty hard to maintain. But black cars always show the aggresive look to it.

Thanks for all your info guys, it's 3pm here and I'm going to the dealer at 4pm. Wish me luck.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Instructor

+1 on the white over the black. I have had a few black cars in my day and they are really tough to keep up.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies guys. This dealer is in Riverside, Acura of Riverside.

I thought of filing a complaint with BBB, but then at that time I was too furious to remember any names, except the first salesman who lied to me about the deal. So without names, I guess I can't do anything about it if I wanted to.
I might write this matter to Acura Client Services like you guys mentioned and explained the situation.

On the bright side, I've just purchased an RL and will take delivery today, can't wait. ) On the down side, Acura of Riverside is the closest Acura near my house and most convenient for service. But I will not ever step foot into that dealer again. I guess I have to sacrifice and go somewhere else, sigh.
Where did you end up getting the car?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:04 AM
Advanced

I finally took delivery of the RL today, couldn't be more happier than ever. I decided to go with Black/Parchment interior. When I went down to the dealer, I inspect the car and saw some scratches on the door, they waxed it out and it's gone now. Overall, despite the 90miles on the odometer, the car looks brand new and rides like one too. I'd be happy to post pictures but don't really know how to do so.

As for the filing complaints to ACS and BBB, I've decided to forget about it and let it go. I don't really want to pursue this matter to another level. At least I've put out the words about how Acura of Riverside handles their customers, and you guys now know how unprofessional and rude they are towards customers.

Now, I can't wait to wake up in the morning and meddle with the techie stuffs RL has to offer, hehe....

Thanks guys, you've been a great help. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Congrats on the new car! As far as posting pics feel free to send me a PM and I will give you my email addr. You can email me the pics and I will put them on my server and post them for you.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
At least drive by, blow your horn and give a big bird finger !
Old 09-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Intermediate

Keep your cool, detail the car, then drive by the original place, show it to the sales manager, and tell him that his guys forced you to buy from another dealer. Give him a good look at the sale his guys kissed off. If at all possible, do all this at a slow moment in front of as many sales people as possible.

Be sure to tell him you really like the car and are glad you bought it.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Advanced

That's a good idea, hmm......
Old 09-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I've never had any experiences with BBB/ACS, was wondering if I file a complaint with them, what would they do? I don't want to resolve this matter, as there's nothing to be resolve anyway. I just want to get the words out how this dealer handles their customers in a very rude and unprofessionalism manner.

I was contemplating on NBP/Parchment interior, but considering how difficult it is to maintain a black car, I decided to go with WhitePearl/Parchment combo. Price paid is $41,129 before ttl. You think it's a good price? I will definitely post pictures if anybody can tell me how to do so.

Thanks.
The problem with the BBB, is it's mostly for complaints. Unfortunately not many people (if anyone) checks with the BBB before doing business. They will register yoir complaint, but who will ever know! Did you check with the BBB before going to the dealership?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Angry Dealerships to avoid

Don't mean to be off topic, but if I can save just one poor soul the agony I faced...

Do NOT give ANY business to Acura of Valley Stream in New York.

Thank you.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:38 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both dealers and customers can be like that.

Just don't go back and tell your friends not to, either.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Fook the BBB! This place (car forums) are the current and future BBB ! Just ask someone here and they will give you their two cents......while on the subject AVOID Acura of Concord California! That includes Sales to Service !
Fair warning !
Old 09-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Retired and Loving It

I'd take it to them for all warrenty repairs. Be sure you leave the plate frames from the dealer you bought the car from on your new RL. If someone asks why you didn't buy from them, tell them your story.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Virginia Bill
Keep your cool, detail the car, then drive by the original place, show it to the sales manager, and tell him that his guys forced you to buy from another dealer. Give him a good look at the sale his guys kissed off. If at all possible, do all this at a slow moment in front of as many sales people as possible.

Be sure to tell him you really like the car and are glad you bought it.

I'd say you do all of the above with your friend videotaping it, then post the video here. We all love to see the looks on their face.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:24 PM
5th Gear

Thanks.
Well, I can tell you what I did once. I had the same experience once shopping for a Chrysler T&C. I did not get into an argument with the scumbag, I just went to the next dealer down the road, who agreed to sell me the van at the same price as the other dealer. I told them not to prep it, I instead went back and had the first dealer do it. They were not happy.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:40 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody there will care and they will all just think you're a moron.

Originally Posted by kkltam
I'd say you do all of the above with your friend videotaping it, then post the video here. We all love to see the looks on their face.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CL6
Nobody there will care and they will all just think you're a moron.
Perspective!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:30 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kkltam
Perspective!!!!
In most cases they won't care, especially if they didn't care before.

I have occasionally had a dealer follow up and want to know why I didn't buy and those situations were based off of price, not dealer treatment. If they didn't care about you before they made the sale, why would they care after they made one?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Advanced

The dealer will care when you walk in on a busy Saturday and rip into them in front of all the prospective buyers. I can tell you when Valley Stream NY Acura was arguing with me, a couple seated behind me got up and left and said they didn't like how I was being talked to.

It's nice when you live in a Metropolitan area and have choices, but at the same time there are so many buyers they can afford to lose some here and there.