Which Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009 | 04:36 PM
Racer

Which Rotors?

Okay so I'm going to replace my front rotors and front and rear pads on the 06 that I just bought that replaced my 05 that was totaled. I had the body shop switch over my new rear rotors that the insurance company put on my 05 to my 06 before they took it to auction. I'm going to get
Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads from Tire Rack for the front and back. I'm trying to decide between http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...Q5fAccessories
or get the StopTech slotted from Josh for $227. I'm not looking for a new amazing brake feel I was just trying to save the $75 and get the EBay ones. I know that since they are drilled and slotted they can warp more easily but are they junk? I would be happy as long as they last as long as OEM and have the same or better performance.
Old 11-19-2009 | 06:10 PM
Safety Car

I always have an opinion on everything, as you can tell from my posting habits. The things I have read is that drilled looks cool, but is not preferred for a street car that will see tens of thousands of miles, because the drilling causes micro-fracturing which can eventually lead to a macro fracture. Slotted is preferred if you have to have anything.

The race cars that you see drilled rotors on change the rotors every race or few, so micro-fracturing turning into an outright failure is not a big problem. Don't know about the high performance Porsches, etc, and their rotor longevity.

Since I have never used drilled or slotted, but only done Brembo OEM equivalent replacements, I cannot tell you from real experience, even with a sample of one, what really happens.
Old 11-19-2009 | 07:34 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Chas2
I always have an opinion on everything, as you can tell from my posting habits.
Chas, do you get the same hate mail I get?
Old 11-19-2009 | 08:06 PM
Pro

I was thinking of getting these ones before:
http://store.excelerateperformance.c...c/i-94058.aspx

They're a bit pricey, but Rotora is pretty reputable. However, after doing some research and finding out that the Spoon RL racecar did not have the stock brake calipers or rotors replaced, if stock is good enough for them, it's definitely good enough for me. Although, I have to say, drilled/slotted rotors do look nice.
Old 11-19-2009 | 08:29 PM
Racer

I do like those too, I wouldn't mind going stock I guess. Anyone know where I can get the best price on stock?
Old 11-19-2009 | 08:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I've made purchases from this vendor with no problems.

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/partloc...layCatalogid=0
Old 11-19-2009 | 08:55 PM
Pro

I've found that this site has a pretty good price on parts..the cheapest place for Honda/Acura parts I can find. I ordered from them before, and would definitely order from the in the future too.

Here's the front brakes: http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/i...=FRONT%20BRAKE

comes in at 94 dollars, 6 dollars cheaper than the Rotoras, haha.
Old 11-19-2009 | 09:01 PM
Pro

Hm, Tampa beat me to it. But both sites have the same price. I recommended www.hondapartsunlimited.com because I was looking to replace a trunk garnish on my 2010 Insight, and they were the only ones that had parts on the Inisght, and I found it neat that they also sell Acura parts, so then I wouldn't have to look elsewhere for Acura parts, and they also carry accessories unlike http://www.oemacuraparts.com. So they got my vote. No, I don't work for www.hondapartsunlimited.com LOL
Old 11-19-2009 | 09:19 PM
Racer

Thanks guys, so it looks like it's about $204 with shipping. I might go for the StopTech slotted rotors for $227 since it's only $23 more, gonna sleep on it.
Old 11-20-2009 | 12:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Actually the fractures that people see all over the internet are poorly cast, cheap material, improperly drilled, or all of the above.

As far as longevity of a drilled rotor all things being equal it should last the same as an oem non drilled counterpart. That is of course if none of the afore mentioned issues are present.

On a side note.... If anyone ever tells you that you cannot resurface a x-drilled or slotted rotor tell them they are an idiot. (or at least in a nice way tell them they are ill informed)

Like the old saying goes....You get what you pay for. Look for quality retailers and or brands rather than just cheapest and you will be alright.

Oh on a second side note.....Cross drilling takes some weight off the rotor and helps with rotational mass.
Old 11-20-2009 | 06:21 AM
Racer

Am I correct in saying that any CPO car is supposed to get new rotors and pads if they were beyond 50% worn? I thought I read that somewhere. I might be calling Acura of North America today to see if I can get a free set of front rotors out of this. What do you guys think?
Old 11-20-2009 | 06:31 AM
Racer

On the Acura website under the 150 point inspection #76 says "Brake Rotor Thickness and Surface". #12 and #13 are the ones that say replace if wear is greater than 50% and those are the "Disc brake pads", and "Brake Shoes". I will call and give it a try though.
Old 11-20-2009 | 03:10 PM
Safety Car

It is not a given. It depends on the condition of the equipment. I have looked at CPO cars that have had new rotors, or new pads or both or none at all (for example, the loaner cars they used sell after a year or two with less than 15K miles on them...)
Old 11-20-2009 | 09:05 PM
Racer

Well I played phone tag today with the regional rep from Acura as I put in a claim about the dealer whom I bought it from giving me the car with warped rotors. The dealer in Jersey won't do anything and the dealer in Cleveland confirmed they are warped. I have an appointment on Monday at 9 at the dealer to have my oil changed over to synthetic and new wipers. Will let you know what happens with the rotors.
Old 11-21-2009 | 07:36 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

That is frustrating.

Especially since the dealer you purchased from was out of state and solely for the purpose of obtaining that specific car.

Where it gets sticky is how CPO is underwritten. Is it the determination of the dealer or is it completely supported by Acura? I know my impression is it is a FACTORY program. But we all know Acura dealer franchises are inconsistent and this may be the crack through which you fall.

I would think Acura should replace them with your local dealer even if the original dealer was the culprit. I don't care if it is a good faith measure or not. My only advice is to keep your local dealer 'on your side' and make your case with Acura CS that you are in between a rock and a hard place as your dealer has diagnosed warped rotors and the purchased dealer (and CPO dealer) denies correcting the issue.

I'd let Acura CS put the needles to the selling dealer.
Old 11-21-2009 | 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wcoy
Well I played phone tag today with the regional rep from Acura as I put in a claim about the dealer whom I bought it from giving me the car with warped rotors. The dealer in Jersey won't do anything and the dealer in Cleveland confirmed they are warped. I have an appointment on Monday at 9 at the dealer to have my oil changed over to synthetic and new wipers. Will let you know what happens with the rotors.
Why not replace the wipers yourself? Driver's side is 26" and passenger is 19"? You can buy replacements online and do it yourself in 15 minutes (not to mention, the OEM blades are awful.)
Old 11-22-2009 | 09:23 PM
Racer

Yeah the NJ dealer basically told me too bad, BS. They were kind of a joke and didn't know the 150 point inspection at all and didn't provide me with a copy of their inspection. The rep who I talked to first from CS asked me about the inspection report and I told him they didn't provide it to me. He asked me for the name of the guy I dealt with there. Hope those NJ guys don't come to Cleveland and try to break my legs! I will know tomorrow morning at the dealer about the rotors. I'm guessing they will just pay for it since they think I have two RL's right now.

Where can I get the wipers online?
Old 11-22-2009 | 10:28 PM
Safety Car

People have said the piaa silicone inserts are good. I got them online at the autobarn for my other cars, but not for the RL.
Old 11-22-2009 | 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Yup, I got them at AutoBarn. The PIAA Silicone inserts work perfectly. I just ordered them to replace my Mazda3 blades too. They are the best I've used.
Old 11-23-2009 | 05:00 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Hope those NJ guys don't come to Cleveland and try to break my legs!
Stop yer whining and get the car fixed! Those legs will heal....eventually.

And those Jersey guys won't travel all the way to Cleveland to get ya....they got local connections.

Old 11-23-2009 | 08:29 AM
Racer

At the dealer right now, CS is talking with the NJ dealer to try and get them to pay for the rotors. The pads are below 2mm as well, BS. I really don't think these guys looked at the car at all. Will let you know what happens. I live in a quiet culdesac so hopefully they don't get me!
Old 11-23-2009 | 09:18 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

At the dealer right now, CS is talking with the NJ dealer to try and get them to pay for the rotors. The pads are below 2mm as well, BS. I really don't think these guys looked at the car at all. Will let you know what happens. I live in a quiet culdesac so hopefully they don't get me!
Keep at it.

Likely the NJ dealer gave you the NJ special.

But keep you cool, partner with your local dealer and communicate with Acura CS to make it right by Acura. Then leave Acura CS to deal the NJ dealer.

In the end, somebody is gonna get whacked. Lay low. It should not be you.
Old 11-23-2009 | 12:05 PM
Racer

Acura CS replaced the front rotors and pads woo hoo! I think they will then go after the NJ Acura dealer to get their money.
Old 11-23-2009 | 12:28 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I don't know if it will be charged back to that dealer. But Acura dealers do lose out when they have justified complaints. They are rated, which comes into play with inventory allocation, incentives, etc. And basically you called them out on misrepresenting a CPO purchased RL.

Get your new RL base lined, with all the TSBs, CPO benchmarks and you will be set with your local dealership too maintain it going forward.

Who cares if the NJ dealer has to pay for it or not. Bottom line you got it resolved as it should be and Acura CS came through. But there might be a Jersey dealer found in the trunk of a stolen Caddy....somewhere around the Meadowlands.

We do not hear enough of these stories.
Old 11-23-2009 | 02:20 PM
Racer

They are going to be pissed then; it’s their fault though for selling me a car that wasn't truly CPO.

I had the dealer go over the car with a fine tooth comb and change out the mirrors and flickering headlight and a few other things the other week so I think I'm all good.

Even though the rear brake pads don't need changed my new Akebono pads for the front and rear came today. Since the dealer just put new ones on the front I obviously don't need those done. Think I should just put the rears on for good measure? The rear rotors were warped when I got the car but had them changed out from my old rides new ones.