Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would take IS350 over M3 any day.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewgg2
I would take IS350 over M3 any day.
Why? I am just curious. Because of the overall package? I assume the M3 is faster than the IS350... although the IS350 is 0-60 in 5.3 (independent testing by a firm lexus hired). I think you said 5.1 in a previous post - I had heard that also.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazytsxmods
I agree with Vik. I just sold my 06 RL. The nav traffic does not even work half the time. The car felt slower than my wifes mdx and the service dept. always seems to say, cannot duplicate problem or checked other RL and it is a characteristic of the car. Vik I agree 110% with you. I stopped useing the navtraffic, did not use onstar and started haveing rattles near the rear sunshade. The dealer said it was a characteristic of the car. I am buying a new house soon so I dumped the rl and went back to a tl witch I can say is 10 times more fun to drive and is solid as a rock. I wish the RL had come standard with a backup camera, wood wheel and cooled seats. The IS 350 is a better car by far. Hell the TL is a better car for what I need out of it and is 17k less. They have to drill a hole in the trunk for the backup camera in the RL. If these mechanics can't even figure out how to renew the xm subscription after 40 rls run through with acuralink problems what makes me want them adding a electronical accessory to the car and drilling holes in it. F*** that. I had the wood grain wheel installed and it went back twice for scratches and allighnment issues. It would be nice to have them installed at the factory. Lexus is smart. Good luck to you Vik and I know you will enjoy your IS as that is one sweet ride. I hate when people want to bash someones decision because in there own head they know dam well what we are talking about. My 05 RL was takin apart 6 times. Not to mention I would go somewhere and people would go, "Is that the new honda accord." Your dam straight that makes me mad driveing a car like that and people saying it looks like an accord. Funny thing is I pulled into starbucks yesterday in the black TL and two girls were like wow that is a nice car and asking all about it. Not once did that happen with the RL. The only questions that were asked about it were, "can you duplicate the problem for me."
Sorry to hear that you had bad experience with RL, but I think you just needed the 17K for the new home. At least it sounds this way. Can you explain how you came up with 17K? I believe TL price is 35 and 05 RL average price is 46K. It sound to me more like 11K. Also I think that RL A-Spec looks closer to your TL than accord. But this is just my opinion. My brother has a TL and I think RL is well worth the 45K. Paying 52k like you did is another story, I guess.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vp911
Why? I am just curious. Because of the overall package? I assume the M3 is faster than the IS350... although the IS350 is 0-60 in 5.3 (independent testing by a firm lexus hired). I think you said 5.1 in a previous post - I had heard that also.
Yes, I think M3 is faster, since it is 6 speed manual (0-60 4.7). I believe they do not make IS350 with manual transmutations , if they did I am sure that 0-60 would be under 5 seconds. Here are my reasons why I would not get M3:

-Mechanics dream, service very expensive
-Interior from 1970
-Terrible on snow, even with snow tires
-Every option is extra will move the price to well over 56K
Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Drifting

IS interior lighting = enough to make me never want to own one. it was a great idea taking the green lights from ford and putting them into a lexus...
Old 01-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

The lights in the RL are green also
Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vp911
The lights in the RL are green also
Vik can you explain? My interior light are blue not green. Am I missing something?
Old 01-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Sorry to hear that you had bad experience with RL, but I think you just needed the 17K for the new home. At least it sounds this way. Can you explain how you came up with 17K? I believe TL price is 35 and 05 RL average price is 46K. It sound to me more like 11K. Also I think that RL A-Spec looks closer to your TL than accord. But this is just my opinion. My brother has a TL and I think RL is well worth the 45K. Paying 52k like you did is another story, I guess.
What I meant was, rls sticker is 49k, tls starts at 33 and some change. I paid 44,500 for the rl and leased the tl for allot less rl. Not to mention my insurance premium went down about 230. every 6 months. I also was getting about 14-17 miles to the gallon in city driveing witch is as bad as a suv. Reguardless of the price differance I loved the RL overall but needed to have less debt to income ratio. I did however get frustrated with the lack of service ability on the RL. People do not now enough yet to properly work on the RL at least in my area and it is frustrating even if it were a 10k car. Not to mention a major road in my area I66 was hardly ever on the navtraffic and it is supposd to be. I take that road allot and would not get on it if I new there was traffic. The majority of people would say can't you just watch the news. No, I cant I was sold on the car for the navtraffic at navigation system as well as awd. What if the daytime running lights were defective and never on. What would the dealership say, probably "why can't you just turn your lights on during the day." I was makeing a point that no matter how much fun and nice of a car the RL is at least in my area its scary when you have a problem with it. That was one of the decideing factors to dump it. Along with other things. Did you hear about the poor guy I think acurarlblue or something. Same bullshit his door handle sensors dont work half the time and they will not order him new ones and are acting like if something on the rl is not a necessity than we are not going to fix it right.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

I also was getting about 14-17 miles to the gallon in city driveing witch is as bad as a suv.
How do you drive? Do you have a lot of full throttle acceleration? My mileage combined city/hwy is around 21 mpg; in the city I usually get about 19 mpg.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Instructor

No green lights in my RL either. Nice blue lights which are very attractive and effective in providing the interior lighting when getting in or out of the RL.

The October Road & Track review of the IS350 turned me off to it as it sounded like it is still a bit behind the 330 (let alone the M3) in sportiness and performance. The IS350 registered a pretty mediocre .80 on the skidpad which is well behind the RL (.86) and many other sportier cars. It said the electronics, which can't be turned off (Lexus Big Brother approach), regulate it so they couldn't exceed this mediocre skidpad performance.

Because the backseat of the IS350 is so small its almost like a 4 door coupe but without the coupe design which is so attractive in a 330 Coupe or even better my personal favorite coupe the Infiniti 35 Coupe which is great to look at (to my eyes anyway) and is a blast to drive. The 35 Coupe is comparable or betters the IS350 in all of the important performance area (R&T data), costs less and has a reasonable level of luxury to it, albeit less so than the IS35O, or the RL for sure. For a fun-to-drive, sportier alternative to the RL the 35 Coupe would get my money.

Like the IS350, the 35 Coupe is an altogether different category than the RL so these kind of comparsions are kind of pointless, but fun to discuss anyway. Still love my problem-free and fun RL so its not going anywhere.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Vik can you explain? My interior light are blue not green. Am I missing something?

Go in your car at night with the headlights on. Arn't all your radio controls green?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Instructor

What I meant was, rls sticker is 49k, tls starts at 33 and some change. I paid 44,500 for the rl and leased the tl for allot less rl. Not to mention my insurance premium went down about 230. every 6 months. I also was getting about 14-17 miles to the gallon in city driveing witch is as bad as a suv. Reguardless of the price differance I loved the RL overall but needed to have less debt to income ratio. I did however get frustrated with the lack of service ability on the RL. People do not now enough yet to properly work on the RL at least in my area and it is frustrating even if it were a 10k car. Not to mention a major road in my area I66 was hardly ever on the navtraffic and it is supposd to be. I take that road allot and would not get on it if I new there was traffic. The majority of people would say can't you just watch the news. No, I cant I was sold on the car for the navtraffic at navigation system as well as awd. What if the daytime running lights were defective and never on. What would the dealership say, probably "why can't you just turn your lights on during the day." I was makeing a point that no matter how much fun and nice of a car the RL is at least in my area its scary when you have a problem with it. That was one of the decideing factors to dump it. Along with other things. Did you hear about the poor guy I think acurarlblue or something. Same bullshit his door handle sensors dont work half the time and they will not order him new ones and are acting like if something on the rl is not a necessity than we are not going to fix it right.
Sorry to hear that you have some many issues with your RL. I have zero issues with my, the only thing that I had done was the 3 TSB’s. My dealer is superb, they always have been, they just kiss my ass. Also if you paid 44.5K than you probably did sell the RL for under 39K. So you did take a hit for at least 6K. So what was your rational, for getting TL for around 35K. You have saved maybe only 4K, and got a TL? It looks like you have lost more that you have gained ($230 on your insurance (6 month policy)). Also how much do you pay for your insurance? I live in CT I am 28, and my annual policy premium is $890 for 100/300K liability limits for 05 RL. I am an actuary, email me so I can give you tips how to save $$$ on your auto insurance.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry to hear that you have some many issues with your RL. I have zero issues with my, the only thing that I had done was the 3 TSB’s. My dealer is superb, they always have been, they just kiss my ass. Also if you paid 44.5K than you probably did sell the RL for under 39K. So you did take a hit for at least 6K. So what was your rational, for getting TL for around 35K. You have saved maybe only 4K, and got a TL? It looks like you have lost more that you have gained ($230 on your insurance (6 month policy)). Also how much do you pay for your insurance? I live in CT I am 28, and my annual policy premium is $890 for 100/300K liability limits for 05 RL. I am an actuary, email me so I can give you tips how to save $$$ on your auto insurance.
I need to save a few bucks on insurance
Old 01-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Racer

Yes, I think M3 is faster, since it is 6 speed manual (0-60 4.7). I believe they do not make IS350 with manual transmutations , if they did I am sure that 0-60 would be under 5 seconds. Here are my reasons why I would not get M3:

-Mechanics dream, service very expensive
-Interior from 1970
-Terrible on snow, even with snow tires
-Every option is extra will move the price to well over 56K

M3 is faster than is350, however is350 is very luxirous, personally i liked its interior very much. BMW's interior is just too plain. You don't get sports sedan just for the speed. You have to see whats inside
Old 01-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I was THIS close to getting rid of my TL-S for an IS350. But that sucker is EXTREMELY small. I'm only 6'3, and my legs are way longer than my upper body (hence, i never have headroom problems, not even miatas or s2000s). Imagine my amazement when I went to the dealership to sit in one, and found my head pressing against the roof? I immediately got out of it, got back in my TL and drove off... Apparently, even lexus fanatics are disappointed with the way it handles. Too cushy, and too intrusive with stability management. They say they really lexified it over the old IS which was a pretty nimble car. I found the interior to not be as lexus like as I would have expected. Its like they made it less cushy to make it seem sporty, but it just results in a less than steller effect, (Although the technology is pretty nice). I'll remain in my TL for a while, until I can get my hands on a used NSX...vrroom vroom !
Old 01-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

You are right, they did dope down the road feel compared to the old IS. It is indeed very small - I was concerned because one of my friends - the only one that really ever rides in my car is 6'2, I had to take him t othe dealership to make sure he could fit in there. Afterall, I hate riding in his pickup truck, so I prefer to drive anywhere we may be going.

When I was shopping for a new car, I chose the IS because of its lux side, but yes, as you said, it is not fully lexus like. I have read a few complaints over a CL saying that the wood scratches easily and parts of it are cheap compared to the normal lexus materials. I chose it because of its lux side but as well as being smaller and more fun to drive. Sure, it's not as fun to drive as the old IS but it is exactly what I am looking for.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Racer

Twice now I've come up on an IS from behind and both times did I think it was a Mazda 6 or whatever. Compliment for Mazda I suppose.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Ive thought the rear looks like the hyndai...sonata I think? Design definately has similarities with other cars.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Twice now I've come up on an IS from behind and both times did I think it was a Mazda 6 or whatever. Compliment for Mazda I suppose.
It is funny that you say this, last week my bro. and I were driving and he said the something when we spotted the IS. I have other opinion my self, but it looks like many people are saying the same thing. Good for Mazda bad for IS.