RL T-boned

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
No, the at-fault insurance company will generally pay only for reasonable substitute transportation. In this case, though, I am having my own insurance company handle the repairs under my collision coverage, since the other guy's insurance company was dragging their feet. My own rental coverage is limited to $35/day, so that's what I get for $35.

The repairs are being done at a local Acura dealer, Goodson Acura.

(BTW, my insurance company is subrogating against the other guy's insurance, and I'll get my $200 deductible back when they collect. In the meantime, it's worth it to be able to get my car on in the shop.)

In Florida we have No-Fault. I notice most of the heavily popluated states use that system. It must just be easier to control (although it has it's shortcomings). With No-fault, everyone's own insurance companies pay for their own clients damage. You never call, contact, or discuss anything with anyone but your own company. In fact, my insurance card says right on it "DO NOT DISCUSS OR ADMIT GUILT TO ANYONE". The insurance companies fight it out themselves. Works for me.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
"DO NOT DISCUSS OR ADMIT GUILT TO ANYONE".
Sounds like a Wedding Vow?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:50 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
In Florida we have No-Fault. I notice most of the heavily popluated states use that system. It must just be easier to control (although it has it's shortcomings). With No-fault, everyone's own insurance companies pay for their own clients damage. You never call, contact, or discuss anything with anyone but your own company. In fact, my insurance card says right on it "DO NOT DISCUSS OR ADMIT GUILT TO ANYONE". The insurance companies fight it out themselves. Works for me.
Yeah, Massachsetts pretty much pioneered no-fault, and now it's used to one degree or another in the following states: DC, FL, HI, KS, KY, Mass, MI, MN, NJ, NY, ND, PA & UT. But few of them use a pure no-fault system ... most still allow claims, suits or other actions against the other party.

I guess the main objection to no-fault is the idea you're paying (or, actually, your insurance company is paying) sometimes for damages caused by other people's stupidity or negligence. "Regular" insurance, OTOH, generally pays only for your own stupidity.

Texas looked at no-fault few years back and rejected it. We have Uninsured Motorists coverage for people who hit you and don't have coverage, and you always have your Collision coverage for your own car.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So with this no fault insurance what happens if someone from Florida hits my car?

Also good to know they are taking good care of your car.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
So with this no fault insurance what happens if someone from Florida hits my car?

That depends on whether they drove the car into you or the car was hurled at you by a hurricane. Ya hafta read the fine print.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Heh. There's usually a clause in the no-fault policy that says the policy "conforms to statute", meaning if they are in a NON no-fault state and hit someone, the person they hit has the same rights as if the policy weren't no-fault.

That is, if SpicyMilkey drives up from Florida and hits you, you still make a claim against his insurance just like you would a driver from your own state.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Mike, i just saw your posting about damage to RL. I am sorry to see/hear that, but at the same time glad that you were okay :-)
Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Heh. There's usually a clause in the no-fault policy that says the policy "conforms to statute", meaning if they are in a NON no-fault state and hit someone, the person they hit has the same rights as if the policy weren't no-fault.

That is, if SpicyMilkey drives up from Florida and hits you, you still make a claim against his insurance just like you would a driver from your own state.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks. I also ment to ask if my original post are you going to go after your insurance for deprected value? I know only certain states allow that and was wondering if Texas was one of them?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:17 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
Mike, i just saw your posting about damage to RL. I am sorry to see/hear that, but at the same time glad that you were okay :-)
Many thank, Calvin. I came out of it fine, but the jury's still out on my baby. For some reason, though, I have high hopes for it.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:30 AM
AcurAdmirer

Yeah that makes sense, thanks. I also ment to ask if my original post are you going to go after your insurance for deprected value? I know only certain states allow that and was wondering if Texas was one of them?
Yes, I've addressed that, since it's a leased car. The dealer tells me that if it's repaired "to Acura specs", I'll have no problem at lease return time.

Texas has honored diminished value claims in the past, and in fact I've collected it myself. What they tend to do now is just consider it part of the original claim, and if you can show later that your car is worth less because of the earlier damage, they re-open your claim and work it out. At least, that's the theory.

Not to start another leasing v. buying discussion, but IMHO that's another benefit of leasing ... repair any damage at the dealer and they have little if any basis for surcharging you. And if they try to do so in cases like mine (where I was hit by someone else), the leasing company specifies the amount of extra charges, and the leasing people and insurance people can settle it between themselves. If you're just trading it on the open market, you might never know if the car is being downgraded because of earlier damage.