RL in SD Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 10:44 PM
Master in Science

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL in SD Auto Show

Checked out the RL in the auto show here in San Diego. It's a great looking car, and competes well with other vehicles in the $40-50k range. I was disappointed with one item, however, which was the navi. It doesn't seem to have a touch-sensitive screen, like my TSX. My fingers floated all over the LCD screen pixels before I realized I was doing more bad than good.

The leather was better than the TSX, though it could be much better for the price range. My family's A6 leather feels softer, even after 4 yrs.

I liked the dashboard layout. It's too bad I could not turn the lights on... the switch was taped OFF with some electrical tape. Damn car show people!!

Overall, I liked the car very much. It's built solid and looks sweet. Yet it doesn't seem like a good step up from the TSX. I still feel inclined to purchase another brand, like a Lexus GS or RX, Infinity, or even a BMW.

I think Acura needs to add another model soon, as I see TSX people moving on to other brands already. Although we should be smart and add that the rattle "factor" tends to a major weakness in the links holding people's loyalty with Acura, even more than car design and features.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:53 AM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Originally Posted by slo007
Overall, I liked the car very much. It's built solid and looks sweet. Yet it doesn't seem like a good step up from the TSX. I still feel inclined to purchase another brand, like a Lexus GS or RX, Infinity, or even a BMW.
Understandable, all nice choices. But do yourself a favor and take the RL on a nice, long drive before you make your decision.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:27 AM
10th Gear

Nope, the nav system does not have a touch screen, as the screen is too far away from the driver.

The voice recognition, however, works amazingly well and, unlike other current Acuras, recognizes street names etc.

Funny you should mention the "rattle factor." I was thinking about replacing my 2003 MDX (38,000 miles) with an RL, then it occurred to me that the MDX has way too many rattles, so I decided to wait and see what the 4wd GS is like until I make a purchase.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
From Autospies most disappoitung list:

2. Acura RL- Is everyone else driving a different version of the RL than us? Or are they scared to death to jeopardize the huge ad dollars Acura is throwing at them? We drove this thing and couldn’t believe how awful this thing drove. It was heavy feeling and the steering was absolutely numb. It felt like a 1995 E-class gone WAY wrong. The suspension is so brittle and stiff (maybe due to the SHAWD?) that is very uncomfortable over rough pavement. Then there was the space issue. This car is TINY inside the cabin! It feels slightly larger than a 3-series and even the TL feels more roomy. Acura will tell you the specs say there is more space in the RL than the TL but we didn't see it. Go sit in both and you make the call. It’s not even close. Now let’s talk about the exterior design. How can their flagship not be the best looking car in their product line? We think the TL beats it there as well. Now price…$50k for the RL? You have got to be kidding us! Not a chance this things worth over $40 grand. The only redeeming feature? The dash/console design and the best nav system on earth. Keep those, scrap the rest and start over. BMW, MB, Lexus and Infiniti are laughing in their halls!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried the touch-screen on the TSX and admit it made character entry easier than the wheel-knob arrangement of the RL's "Interface dial". However, as mentioned above, the voice-recognition actually works well and this is faster (and safer!!) than manual input (assuming you are saying full words). So I think Acura did the right thing here with the RL. Finally, the higher position puts the screen at a more viewable level and I don't have to see any fingerprints.

Obviously, the nice step up from the TSX is the TL. Personally, I liked the RLs character and features the best. I have some niggles but basically have been very happy. You need to drive this car to fully appreciate. Best regards!

Joe