RL rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 AM
JDM FREAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL rear ended

My friend was involved in an accident two days ago when he was rear ended by a Chrysler.
He was on I-95 Northbound in VA with his wife and 9 year old daughter in the back seat when the traffic stopped suddenly. Charlie was cruising at about 60 mph when he hit his brakes and was able to stop in time. He took the sholder as a precaution, but the car behind him followed him to the shoulder and ran into him at 50 mph, here is the result

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5491/123ie3.jpg

MOD EDIT: Sorry, the image was too big for comfortable viewing so I switched it to a link.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:50 AM
JDM FREAK

everyone came out fine, just a bit of neck pain.
His daughter is terrified and cant sleep, but Charlie is thankful that he has an RL

By saleener

By saleener

By saleener
Old 03-28-2008, 01:55 AM
JDM FREAK

Crumple zone

By saleener

By saleener
Old 03-28-2008, 02:06 AM
JDM FREAK

And the other vehicle

By saleener

By saleener

The other party's insurance company are claiming, Charlie is wrong for picking the shoulder for emergency stop. WTF????
Old 03-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
It's good to hear no one was seriously injured.

The insurance company's argument about using the shoulder for the emergency stop is I hope your friend takes them to the cleaners.

I can't figure out how the Chrysler was damaged in the rear quarter panel. Was there a third party involved in the accident?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can totally relate to this. My '07 was rearended similarly back in October with damage to both rear quarters, trunk, floor pan. Cost $18k to repair, and they had to repaint the whole car other than the roof because the white pearl color just wouldnt match. The RL took the impact very admirably.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Glad to hear nobody was hurt. RL seems to have done its job of protecting the passengers.

And if there is a panic stop, if not the shoulder then where? Plus, if the other guy was driving 50 mph at impact, he clearly was following too closely and not trying hard enough to stop. Sounds like the guy thought he could sneak by on the shoulder.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Ouch . Glad everyone's ok and I hope the insurance stuff works out.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Pro

Too bad, looks like the car did its' job of good protection.

Notice the aluminum in the bumper, I love this car.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 AM
office monkey

Sheesh. Just yet another example of how people simply have no concept of driving and do not pay attention. There is no reason why the traffic should have suddenly stopped other than the chain reaction of all the drivers reacting too slow with their braking/following too close and there is no reason the car behind your friend should have hit him that fast. Obviously driving too close and not paying attention.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that tailgating gets you NOWHERE? If you drive at the same fucking speed as the car in front you but leave a bit of space you will get to wherever you want to go in the same time or a few seconds later. Is a few seconds really worth the potential accident? Or, if the car you are tailgating is behind a lot of traffic then shit, HE CAN'T MAKE THE TRAFFIC IN FRONT OF HIM DISAPPEAR SO QUIT DRIVING ON HIS ASS.

Every day I see this crap driving to work and it pisses me off. It boggles me that the human species is this dumb to not grasp the simple logic of it.

Good to hear the girl is ok physically but it sucks that she is still sacred and all that. All of her mental anguish could have been avoided if people would get a clue when driving on the highway.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The other party's insurance company are claiming, Charlie is wrong for picking the shoulder for emergency stop. WTF????
WTF indeed. The other guy was tailgating, plain and simple. End of story.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:15 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well said!!!

Originally Posted by Rob L
Sheesh. Just yet another example of how people simply have no concept of driving and do not pay attention. There is no reason why the traffic should have suddenly stopped other than the chain reaction of all the drivers reacting too slow with their braking/following too close and there is no reason the car behind your friend should have hit him that fast. Obviously driving too close and not paying attention.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that tailgating gets you NOWHERE? If you drive at the same fucking speed as the car in front you but leave a bit of space you will get to wherever you want to go in the same time or a few seconds later. Is a few seconds really worth the potential accident? Or, if the car you are tailgating is behind a lot of traffic then shit, HE CAN'T MAKE THE TRAFFIC IN FRONT OF HIM DISAPPEAR SO QUIT DRIVING ON HIS ASS.

Every day I see this crap driving to work and it pisses me off. It boggles me that the human species is this dumb to not grasp the simple logic of it.

Good to hear the girl is ok physically but it sucks that she is still sacred and all that. All of her mental anguish could have been avoided if people would get a clue when driving on the highway.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 PM
JDM FREAK

Originally Posted by robarsan
It's good to hear no one was seriously injured.

The insurance company's argument about using the shoulder for the emergency stop is I hope your friend takes them to the cleaners.

I can't figure out how the Chrysler was damaged in the rear quarter panel. Was there a third party involved in the accident?
after hitting the RL in front of him, he swipped the rail.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
One piece of advice - have the other insurance company pay for diminished value.

I just got a check for $3100 (~13% of damages).

The RL is pretty straightforward (if not "easy") to repair, and your friend should have no lingering effects.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Racer

Your friend should get an attorney and go after the other party.

The other parties insurance company is blaming your friend for taking the shoulder as an emergency stop? Then what the hell was "other party" doing there? The answer is one of the following: A) Playing with themselves at 60+ mph? B) Taking the shoulder as an emergency stop. Hmmm. I wonder how they'll answer that question.

That is about as stupid of a statement as I've heard in a while, almost like a pregnant woman asking the doctor "Is the baby mine?" No offense intended to the fairer gender on this forum....
Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 PM
JDM FREAK

The insurance company finally decided to total the RL. $18,000 in damages.
One thing i dont undertsand is my friend was so happy with the overall outcome of the accident and no one being hurt, so i thought he'll head back for another RL.
Well, he wants an M3.
So he wants to sell his Ron Jon Devotion rims with brand new tires (less than 100 miles).
If anyone is interested, please let me know
The finish is Chrome 19X 8.5
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
What brand of tires?
What size of tires?
Are these the older RonJon Devotion 1pf or the older 3 piece devotions, or the new Type III's.
Are they TPMS compatible?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Qatar
The insurance company finally decided to total the RL. $18,000 in damages.
One thing i dont undertsand is my friend was so happy with the overall outcome of the accident and no one being hurt, so i thought he'll head back for another RL.
Well, he wants an M3.
So he wants to sell his Ron Jon Devotion rims with brand new tires (less than 100 miles).
If anyone is interested, please let me know
The finish is Chrome 19X 8.5
Glad your friend is okay. Nova is becoming a pool of inexperienced drivers (recent legal&illegal immigrants and such), experienced idiotic drivers, and immature drivers...

About m3. I don't think M3s will sell too well this time around. As we all know, a few bolt ons on 335i should walk on m3. On previous models, non M models would have to have serious amount of mods to compete with Ms. But this time around, 335i should do it easily and it probably has so much more potential.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 AM
JDM FREAK

Ron Jon Devotion

Originally Posted by Chas2
What brand of tires?
What size of tires?
Are these the older RonJon Devotion 1pf or the older 3 piece devotions, or the new Type III's.
Are they TPMS compatible?

Thanks
The tires are 245/40-19 Falken FK 452
This Devotion is the 3 piece Ron Jon Devotion in Chrome.
The TPMS is installed as well.
If i remember, no one had any issues with the TPMS except my self
Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ///M Roadster
Glad your friend is okay. Nova is becoming a pool of inexperienced drivers (recent legal&illegal immigrants and such), experienced idiotic drivers, and immature drivers...

About m3. I don't think M3s will sell too well this time around. As we all know, a few bolt ons on 335i should walk on m3. On previous models, non M models would have to have serious amount of mods to compete with Ms. But this time around, 335i should do it easily and it probably has so much more potential.
Way off thread, but:

Wow, I did not know the 3 liter turbo six was that potent in comparison to the 4 liter V-8! Honda needs to get a RWD platform going, and soon!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:19 AM
JDM FREAK

I personally think to my friend, the accident was a blessing in disguise.
He loved his RL, but not enough to get another one, and he talked about lack of quick response from accelerator. To him, if he had an M3, he would have gunned it when saw the other car behind him in the rear view mirror.
I agree with him, because i my self almost got side swipped when coming off of ramp a while back.
The other driver had a yield sign which he deciede to ignore and i suddenly found me self sharing my lane with another car when i had another vehicle to me left, i could have braked, but decided to floor it, but as we all know it took a while to pick up speed. I then decided to brake, because at the same moment i gunned it, so did the other person, and his car picked up speed pretty fast (V6 Accord)
That encounter made me more aware of my car capabilities, and at any point i'd rather brake than accelerate
Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Pro

A V6 Accord has better pick up than an RL?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 AM
JDM FREAK

the Accord is lighter and FWD.
It has a better speed pick up
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 AM
JDM FREAK

No for sale posts

Mod edit: No for sale posts. You must repost in the Black Market.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
That's crazy they totalled the car w/ $18k in damage.

My car had $23k "mostly cosmetic" damage and it wasn't even considered for a total situation.

That's GEICO for you. Runs perfectly in the 11k miles since the incident (12/2006).