RL questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:10 PM
White and Nerdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL questions

Hello! New to the RL side of the site. I have a few questions I was hoping to get some feedback on regarding the RL. Let me give a brief background first:

I currently have an '04 TSX that I like, but several issues have come up and the wife and I are considering an RL. There are several issues, but the main issue is that my wife is a safety nut. Apparently, the RL came up first on the list for safety from some article that she read. We had our first child earlier this year, and ever since, she has been on a big safety kick.

Not that I don't mind, as I really like the look of the RL, and have been itching for something a bit more upscale and powerful than the TSX. I tend to be on the convervative side, which I why I liked the styling of the TSX when I bought it (vs. the TL), and I prefer the RL styling to the TL's as well. I am also a big fan of Hondas and Acuras, and owned several, including our current two cars.

So, here are my questions:

1. Judging from some other posts, it seems like now is a good time to buy a new RL (with the $3000 dealer incentive). I have a decent relationship with my Acura dealer (Acura of Boardman, OH), and I think I can get a decent deal (will find out Thursday, when I will inquire further). I don't live in California, so I doubt I can get the 40G deal, but I was wondering if anybody in Eastern Ohio or Western Pennsylvania got a good deal, and from which dealer and salesman, etc.

2. However, there are several used second gen RL's in the area, and I am wondering what people thought about buying a new RL vs. a used one, especially considering the depreciation rate of the RL.

3. What about a used RL vs. an Acura certified used one?

4. I haven't bought a used car since high school, so I am probably not up to speed on any new trends in that area. I know many used car deals don't typically involve a trade in...I am wondering if I go to a non-Acura dealer for a used RL, will they give me any flack about trading in my TSX for it?

Appreciate any and all comments and assistance! THANKS!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
1. Can't answer this one...
2. Depends. Could cost near as much as a new RL. Are you looking for one with the technology package?
3. Both used cars, except the certified one comes with a 7/100 warranty
4. Anytime you get a trade involved, dealerships will attempt to "trick" you by throwing numbers around. I'd recommend you shop the car around to find out how much it is worth. You might consider selling it yourself or even bring the person with you and do an "in-and-out". Thats where you've found a buyer...you go in and negotiate the price on the new car, call the person up to buy your car and have him meet you at the dealer....once there, you let the dealer do the paperwork for both deals. Get rid of the pesky paperwork, but you also recover the tax difference.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:58 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Godwhacker
2. However, there are several used second gen RL's in the area, and I am wondering what people thought about buying a new RL vs. a used one, especially considering the depreciation rate of the RL.
I think buying a used RL right now is not a great idea. You're going to get an '05 for about $38K...with probably 10K miles on it, and a new model year starts in 2 weeks.

The '05's had a few issues that got sorted out in the '06's.

Since you can buy a new '06 for about $2K more than a used '05, but you get a car that is a model year newer and has another year of warranty on it, I think it's kind of crazy to buy a used one right now.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Working on a deal in NE Ohio now...will get back to you if it happens.

I agree with the other responders who question purchasing a used RL when you can get such good deals on a new one. I thought about it briefly, consulted with the wise denizens of Acurazine, and have been properly straightened out about the issue.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:56 PM
White and Nerdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of your input!

I had to run on an unexpected trip this week, so sorry I did not thank all of you earlier.

The best internet offer I have received so far for a new 06 is 42,300 from a dealer outside of Pittsburgh. I am curious to see what offer you get from NE Ohio, Neuronbob (and good luck to you!). I also have to take my TSX in next Thursday, so I plan to see what my usual dealership offers on an 06 RL.

Will keep ya posted!