RL just awesome in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
RL just awesome in the snow

First big snowstorm in the Boston area today (around 10" where I live) and the RL was just phenomenal. I have to say that the PAX tires were much better than I thought they would be and I continue to be amazed at how well the SH-AWD works where other cars get stuck or slide around. One interesting note: My driveway is a decent hill and there was some ice still under the snow from a sleet/freezing rain storm we had a few days ago. As I was going up the driveway (covered with about 6" of snow and not plowed yet) I had the torque distribution picture on the MID. What I felt and what the MID showed was the car "pulsing" the torque to the front wheels as I kept my foot on the accelerator. I never saw that before with the RL. I love driving this car.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Yeah my RL's nick name for today was "snow eater". Here in CT we got about 12 inches of snow and the RL handled it well. I was just cruising by everyone stuck in the snow. Saw a couple TL's and TSX's and i just looked and thought to my self "should have upgraded". Greatest feeling was having to go pick up my friend who couldn't drive his Q45 because it couldn't get anywhere in the snow. He usually brags about his V8 engine but today his engine was useless. I drove over the snow like it didn't even exist(well it wasn't that perfect but you get the idea). Another reason to love my RL.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is snow????

Kirby in Sarasota Fl., previously from Wisconsin.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:04 AM
office monkey

Slap some snow tires on the car and it really kills the snow. I have no idea how the PAX tires are but the OEM MXM4s or whatever the model is SUCK in the snow. I know this from experience and a good set of snow tires is lightyears ahead of the OEMs. The OEMs are ok in deep snow but on a thin layer, compacted snow or muck they suck and have next to no traction. Many times I slid like a banshee with the OEMs (and driving cautiously at that) but thankfully the AWD kept the car in check. With my Nokian Hakkas the car does not slide and I can drive it basically like the road is dry....but I don't since I decide to be cautious regardless.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob L
Slap some snow tires on the car and it really kills the snow. I have no idea how the PAX tires are but the OEM MXM4s or whatever the model is SUCK in the snow. I know this from experience and a good set of snow tires is lightyears ahead of the OEMs. The OEMs are ok in deep snow but on a thin layer, compacted snow or muck they suck and have next to no traction. Many times I slid like a banshee with the OEMs (and driving cautiously at that) but thankfully the AWD kept the car in check. With my Nokian Hakkas the car does not slide and I can drive it basically like the road is dry....but I don't since I decide to be cautious regardless.
I've never had the OEM Michelins. I had Pilot Sport summer tires initially on my old 05 and swapped them for Pirelli PZero Nero M+S before the first snowfall. The Pirell's were pretty good in the snow. I was a little apprehensive before yesterday's storm with the PAX tires but they were great. No slipping except where you would expect (taking a slow turn) and giving the car some gas just straightens it right out. I don't think the PAX tires have a different tread design than the OEM Pilot MXM4's. They are bigger than the OEM's though. Maybe someone who knows more about tires can explain why they are better than the OEM's. The proof for me comes when switching lanes on a snow-covered highway. 4WD vehicles do this with ease - so does the RL.

This car is an amazing piece of engineering. Too bad most folks don't know about it. Their loss.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
...I don't think the PAX tires have a different tread design than the OEM Pilot MXM4's. They are bigger than the OEM's though. Maybe someone who knows more about tires can explain why they are better than the OEM's. The proof for me comes when switching lanes on a snow-covered highway. 4WD vehicles do this with ease - so does the RL.

This car is an amazing piece of engineering. Too bad most folks don't know about it. Their loss.
Agreed that is an amazing piece of engineering.

I cannot say whether the PAX tires are better or worse, but I can tell you that they are not any bigger than stock. They have an almost identical rolling diameter, and the 245 section width is the same. The sidewall is shorter, equivalent to a 45 series rather than a 50 series with stock. The wheel is about an inch larger in diameter to make up for that difference. The PAX wheel tire combo is essentially a +1 upgrade over the stock setup.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I put my winter set (Blizzaks) of wheels and tires on last night and we are expecting snow starting tomorrow afternoon.... I'll be back in touch on Sunday to let you all know how much better the snows are than the OEM tires.

Based on what I saw on my 5 series, I'm expecting a big difference.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:09 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Hi 80's & sunny on the beach here. What r snow tires?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
This article sounds like an ideal format for competitive commercial advertising.

http://toronto.24hrs.ca/Lifestyle/20...21590-sun.html
Old 12-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Great article! No wonder BMW and Audi are bring out their own versions of SH-AWD! Interesting use of the sedans in the testing, pretty much just a skid pad...
Old 12-14-2007, 09:01 PM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Boston Snow Drive

Originally Posted by dwboston
First big snowstorm in the Boston area today (around 10" where I live) and the RL was just phenomenal. I have to say that the PAX tires were much better than I thought they would be and I continue to be amazed at how well the SH-AWD works where other cars get stuck or slide around. One interesting note: My driveway is a decent hill and there was some ice still under the snow from a sleet/freezing rain storm we had a few days ago. As I was going up the driveway (covered with about 6" of snow and not plowed yet) I had the torque distribution picture on the MID. What I felt and what the MID showed was the car "pulsing" the torque to the front wheels as I kept my foot on the accelerator. I never saw that before with the RL. I love driving this car.

This is my second winter with my RL and I must admit that this car is one of engineering masterpieces in Automobile Sedan History. I have PAX tires and never I mean never felt at any point of time that I am loosing traction while driving the uncleaned roads with 10' snow. The tires works amazing with the help of SH-AWD. I dont have any more words than the other friends have told about SH-AWD/RL. to RL and its SH-AWD.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Nice! Nice! Can't wait to try it!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:02 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
This article sounds like an ideal format for competitive commercial advertising.

http://toronto.24hrs.ca/Lifestyle/20...21590-sun.html
yeah, everyone and their grandma's are attempting to copy the acura awd.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
A Big +1 to dwboston's post...I got out of Boston just in time, but had to drive home from work in the afternoon, and my RL was never in a situation it didn't handle better every other vehicle on the road...95S and 495S were virtually parking lots of slow moving, spinning cars and plodding semis, and I was able to pick my way through it all with no problem, and at one point I was the only vehicle able to make it past a semi stuck on a hill.

Lastly, when I arrived home the end of my driveway was plowed over, and I just blated right through it!