RL Aspec

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL Aspec

Me and the wife thought about it for a while and took many test drives. It came down to the M35X and the RL, and I just can not put my finger on it but the RL just seems a lot better, yeah the M has

- Itel Cruise Contol (never use curise control to begin with so not a factor)

- Cooling seats (never had them do not need them)

- Bird eye navi (RL technology way better)

- Inside/Out RL kills it. I think I fell in love with the M'S wheels and back seat, plus I love the back of the car, but that was about it.

My question to you guys is this, I like the RL and we are going to trade in TL for it. Is A spec worth it? Never test drove it, but I do not want my RL looking like all the others on the road, everywhere I look their is a damn TL, so when I get this baby, I want to be different.

Did anybody change the rims, I was thinking of putting on the 18's with the body kit no a speck that would run about 4k extra. Just a little confused on how I would like it to look.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't the RL w/tech package have ICC?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Anyway, I think your logic is flawed.
Just because you never had/used it before, doesn't mean it's useless
If we all felt this way, then no new technology would ever be invented.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Don't get me wrong, new technology is good to have and I welcome it, but if I do not use it then why have it. That is why I will not go with the tech package, because it comes with things I do not use why do I need ICC, I never use my CC, my foot is always on the pedal.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:20 PM
kgd
Instructor

I went with the 18" rims and rear spoiler lip. I also like the front air dam on the A-spec but did not notice much difference on the side skirts and lower rear air dam. I really didn't care for the stock 17" wheels. I originally didn't go with the wood steering wheel or shifter, but just added it after about 5 months of ownership. I really like the new wood inside. I also added the iPod kit, which I now think is great and well worth the money. It took a while to get used to. I also added the rear parking sensors which would be better if you could adjust the distance in which the tone turns solid. It has been a great car.

Kris
Old 01-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Racer

M35 didn't do as well in side impact test. This would cause me to go with the RL.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Instructor

I looked in the photo gallery, for pictures of RL, not too many none with Aspec can anyone point me in the right direction. Do you have pictures of your car.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Instructor

Here's mine...18"s w/Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S, Suspension & body kit

Old 01-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Here's another.....

Old 01-25-2006, 08:16 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by psteng19
Anyway, I think your logic is flawed.
Just because you never had/used it before, doesn't mean it's useless
If we all felt this way, then no new technology would ever be invented.
He says it is useless to him since he has never used the stuff so it isn't like they are dealbreakers and aren't things he demands or wants. How is that logic flawed?

There are many things I have never tried or used in my life so they are useless to me and don't factor into my life.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I went with the A-Spec RL as well. However, I opted for the stock wheels since I plan to go with a set of the RonJon 1pf wheels. As far as whether or not it was worth it, in my case, I would have to say yes. I like the "buttoned down" feel of the suspension and the "sportier" look that the body kit provides. I had the A-Spec suspension on the TL that I traded in for the RL so I was convinced that I was going to go with the A-Spec when my turn to trade up to the RL came around. I test drove the Technology Package which was interesting, but for me, not worth the price. I'm loving my RL
Old 01-25-2006, 09:55 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

If you do decide to purchase the RL and are interested in the ASpec kit, you should try to work it into your final purchase price. Go equipped with the costs (about $2500 for the wheels, $600 for the suspension, $1250 for the body kit, $280 for the spoiler) and work out a price. You may save a few bucks here and there if you decide to go for the package later, but it's a lot easier if you can work it into your final purchase price (as long as you get a good deal).

I would not pay more than $47k for a fully equipped (minus the steering wheel and knob) non tech package RL. Or $50k for a fully equipped (minus the steering wheel and knob) for the tech packaged RL.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vsizzle
I looked in the photo gallery, for pictures of RL, not too many none with Aspec can anyone point me in the right direction. Do you have pictures of your car.
Well somehow the gallery is gone so I can't point you there. I also went for just the wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and the rear spoiler. 35% window tint all around.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
If you wanted all that plastic cladding all over the car you could find a cheaper Pontiac. Adding all the junk to a sophisticated and purposefull design only saves the teenager, who will buy it from you, a few bucks in about 5 years when the RL will be the new favorite of the street cruisin' gangs.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
If you wanted all that plastic cladding all over the car you could find a cheaper Pontiac. Adding all the junk to a sophisticated and purposefull design only saves the teenager, who will buy it from you, a few bucks in about 5 years when the RL will be the new favorite of the street cruisin' gangs.
Ouch! It's much more tastefully done than it is on Pontiacs.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Obviously this thread isn't for you...switch to decaf and move on!
Old 01-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hothonda
I got my decaf, moved to the Pontiac owners group and they were expounding on how tastefully the cladding is on RL's.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hothonda
Just as I was thinking how cool I think your car looks with the full treatment...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got my decaf, moved to the Pontiac owners group and they were expounding on how tastefully the cladding is on RL's.
Oh, you're SO witty!

I suppose M-B puts aero kits on its most expensive AMG models and BMW on its M models to make them appeal to street cruisin' gangs as well. Maybe you should move on to THOSE owner groups and convey your thoughts on body cladding. I'm sure someone will be willing to listen. And what does "how tastefully the cladding is on RL's" mean anyway?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Since the originator of this thread was looking for input on ASPEC equipped vehicles,
your assessment of the OEM body kit as a "favorite of street crusin' gangs" hardly seems productive.....How about some pictures of your ride(s)?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dseag2
Oh, you're SO witty!

I suppose M-B puts aero kits on its most expensive AMG models and BMW on its M models to make them appeal to street cruisin' gangs as well. Maybe you should move on to THOSE owner groups and convey your thoughts on body cladding. I'm sure someone will be willing to listen. And what does "how tastefully the cladding is on RL's" mean anyway?
1 "More tastefully done than on Pontiacs" was not my expression, although I do concurr.
2 Aero kits on most cars are for 3 reasons: Looks - 90%, Fuel economy (reduces drag at the rear) - 9% and for downforce - 1%.
Downforce is rarely an issue under 110 MPH and the rear spoiler and cladding only have a positive effect on cars of Ferrari ilk, such as the F50.

Therefore, due to the 90% being for looks then the decision is subjective.
For those who would like to see photos of my car: Go to the dealer and ask for carbon grey.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

I've got the A-Spec wheels and didn't really want the car to ride any harsher or scrape the ground when I pulled in and out of driveways. So, I passed on the stiffer springs and all the stuck-on trick-or-treat. In my opinioin the wheels make a big improvement in the looks.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys sorry I have not been around in a while, computer was down. After careful review and many test drives, I rented the M35 from Enterprise and keep it for a week great car, but since I have a TL acura is giving me a way better deal on the RL, plus the wife likes all the features, like the TMPS, being able to see which wheels have the most power when she is turning, and the biggest, the navi in the RL blew away the M35. So just wanted to give you guys a heads up I will be getting a RL soon, just have to close the deal on this house, can not have that baby in the street.

THANKS
Old 01-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Quit stealing my avatar!!

Originally Posted by Motown2006RL
I also went for just the wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and the rear spoiler. 35% window tint all around.
That Carbon Grey RL with spoiler, mud flaps and 18" wheels look pretty good. I've been thinking of setting up my Carbon Grey the same way. Anyone have any advice to the cheapest/best way to accomplish this? I know the dealer can do this at a premium. Right now my RL is completely stock.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
where can i test drive a aspec rl in ct?

does anyone know where i can test drive a RL with the aspec suspen on it in CT?dealer or private ?? i want to install on my rl but want to drive one first.