AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL (2005-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/)
-   -   Replacing the RL Emblem? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/replacing-rl-emblem-499398/)

sdacuraguy 04-24-2007 08:24 PM

Replacing the RL Emblem?

Okay, so this is a little out there...Since the RL exists only in the US, while the rest of the world has the Legend, I think it might be cool to try and find some way to buy a chrome 'Legend' emblem and replace the RL on the trunk lid with the 'Legend' logo. Has anyone out there considered this? Since many of us have voiced that Honda made a huge blunder by changing the name here it could be interesting to see the Legend name resurfacing with a little after market switch...any thoughts?

Chas2 04-24-2007 08:30 PM

Others have been there done that. Do a search and you will find some incredible pictures of a converted RL to a Legend! Down to switching the brake calipers!

sdacuraguy 04-24-2007 08:46 PM

Any ideas where the emblem was purchased? I suppose I could Google something out? thanks

neuronbob 04-24-2007 09:27 PM

Search for member Qatar's long thread on his JDM'd RL/Legend. If you PM him, he'll tell you where he got the parts.

Rob144 04-24-2007 10:25 PM

The place is called A&J Racing. I've e-mailed twice about getting the LEGEND emblem, but no response.

Maybe we could get their attention with a.....group buy!

Rob144

sdacuraguy 04-24-2007 10:32 PM

thanks neuronbob sent him a pvt...haven't even bought the car yet, tough to find anything here in SD but white or silver...want a lakeshore or carbon gray...ebony int...dealers here have practically no inv!

FullTilt 04-24-2007 10:56 PM

I'm getting mine done. Switching it to Legend. I think Touge might be able to get it for us?

VOdoc 04-24-2007 11:46 PM

I'm in. This car does not want to be called by a lame alphanumeric. It's the Acura LEGEND!!

neuronbob 04-25-2007 05:08 AM

I wonder if some Acura executive is reading this, along with the other threads where we pound on their decision to drop the Legend name eleven years ago, and is wondering what we are thinking. That is, instead of second-guessing their decision. Ford admitted its error in dropping its hugely popular Taurus name, didn't it, by rebadging the Five Hundred?

For all our complaining, I had never actually considered rebadging just the "RL" on my own. Duh, what an interesting and obvious idea! :thumbsup:

gavine 04-25-2007 06:58 AM

I'd be interested in joining the group buy for the Legend emblem.

sdacuraguy 04-25-2007 09:24 AM

As I kept thinking about this, it may even get easier. I would imagine that dealerships or their body shops in either England, Canada or Austrailia would sell it. Obviously to replace for accident damage, etc. Think those of us interested should do a little homework online and see what we come up with.

LegendaryRL 04-25-2007 09:35 AM

I bought mine off of ebay. I paid way more than what it was actually worth tho. GL.

VOdoc 04-25-2007 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by sdacuraguy
As I kept thinking about this, it may even get easier. I would imagine that dealerships or their body shops in either England, Canada or Austrailia would sell it. Obviously to replace for accident damage, etc. Think those of us interested should do a little homework online and see what we come up with.

Exactly right. Canada/UK, Europe, or JDM, whichever is easiest. I'll do some checking.

Thanks to the OP for pushing this along. I had the same idea a couple of months ago but thought, naww, too much trouble, potential paint damage doing the badge switch, etc.

This really amounts to viral marketing--something Acura would do well to pursue. (If they were smart they would pay for our "LEGEND" rebadging.) Let's do it!! :thumbsup:

Chas2 04-25-2007 09:37 AM

Not Canada. Still an RL there!

Touge 04-25-2007 10:14 AM

Wow didn't know you guys had this much interest in the Legend emblem, but it does make sense to change it if you like the Legend name. I'll have my guy in Japan check on it.

neuronbob 04-25-2007 10:54 AM

(Mod hat on)
If we manage to find a supplier for this group buy, it has to be approved by the admins.

If there's interest in a group buy for this, let's find a supplier and get this legal via the admins.
(Mod hat off)

I am starting to feel the peer pressure....I'd probably buy one as well!

dwboston 04-25-2007 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Touge
Wow didn't know you guys had this much interest in the Legend emblem, but it does make sense to change it if you like the Legend name. I'll have my guy in Japan check on it.

I'd like a Legend emblem for the trunk lid.

FullTilt 04-25-2007 02:05 PM

Let's do it!

sdacuraguy 04-25-2007 02:09 PM

I am new to this site so do not know protocal about getting approved by admin? Sounds like there are a number of people interested in doing this...I was told the emblems are attached by some type of adhesive which comes off rather easily and does not damage paint, so I imagine that a rebadge could be adheared fairly easily without damage.

neuronbob 04-25-2007 04:23 PM

I am new to this site so do not know protocal about getting approved by admin?

No problem! That's what we mods are here for. :D PM astro to ask for permission.

EDIT: PM'd the powers that be so that we can formalize this. The thread can remain open to gauge interest.

synth19 04-25-2007 04:40 PM

Not to be picky, but if you replace the "RL" badge with the "legend" badge, you should probably repalce acura with honda. JDM FTW. :D

Chas2 04-25-2007 04:43 PM

Nah, I think we rebel and bring the Acura Legend back. Then I can have two in the stable again, instead of one Legend and one RL.

dwboston 04-25-2007 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
Nah, I think we rebel and bring the Acura Legend back. Then I can have two in the stable again, instead of one Legend and one RL.

I agree. Leave the Acura emblem and add the Legend one. A grassroots movement to call the car what it should be called. :thumbsup:

sdacuraguy 04-25-2007 11:50 PM

Back in the late 80's I bought the most expensive car I ever thought I could afford, an 87 Toyota Supra Turbo with targa top and man was I styling! If I remember right I paid about $25K, still do not know how I made the payment! THE NAME REALLY MEANT SOMETHING! When I was ready to sell it there was only one car that would work for me, it was hot and I was a little older... the Acura Legend. Since then I have had another Toyota, 2 Infinitis (great cars both) , 1 Acura (current '03 TL-S). In a world where everyone acts like lemmings so buys BMW's and beautiful but poorly built Mercedes, I will still stick with the Japanese cars. That being said, bottom line in my price range under $50K, best one on the list now is the RL...aka and appropriately in the universe known as Legend. I know the badging thing is silly, but just because Honda had a brain fart and felt they needed to do this alphanumeric thing copying unreliable German brands, they need to come back to their senses. Okay, keep the TL and TSX names, those fit the sport side of the American market. But when naming your best of the best, be a little bold and stop following the crowds...you have the absolute best branded name in the car business, LEGEND! ...USE IT HONDA!

RoentgenX 04-26-2007 06:33 AM

Count me in for a LEGEND badge. I never met anyone who prefer the RL name over the LEGEND...

lumpulus 04-26-2007 06:42 AM

People generally use Dental floss to remove the badges from the car.

There's a word for changing badges on Japanese cars...it's called RICE. ;)

neuronbob 04-26-2007 10:29 AM

I'm not so sure it's ricey to change the car to what it actually is. What WOULD be ricey would be to add an "R" or "Type-S" or whatever. Because you know those ADD horsepower. :)

synth19 04-26-2007 03:46 PM

agreed... but to make up cars that DON'T exist, or no longer exist doesn't really make sense either. .. ie. Acura Legend, "Infiniti Skyline" If you're going to do it, replace change your emblems to honda, but I know that's a bold thing to do. heh

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'm not so sure it's ricey to change the car to what it actually is. What WOULD be ricey would be to add an "R" or "Type-S" or whatever. Because you know those ADD horsepower. :)

Qatar 04-26-2007 05:38 PM

Don't e-mail A&J, just call them on 604-279-0329 and ask for Ben.
I can contact him and inform him of the group buy.
How many exactly want to get the Legend emblem?
Sorry it took me a while to answer, i haven't logged in for a while

Rob144 04-30-2007 12:20 PM

I'd be interested for the right price.

However, I don't think this is a board-approved buy at this time.

Rob144

VOdoc 04-30-2007 02:05 PM

^^ Ditto

sdacuraguy 05-01-2007 11:34 PM

So I finally got the car...now the emblem...
Think I would like to get one (unless its a truly ridiculous price) even if I don't use it to replace the RL on the trunk.

Qatar 05-02-2007 12:19 AM

if i recall, the badge wasn't over $20.00.

neuronbob 05-02-2007 05:21 AM

If you guys manage to arrange this, you have an official "OK".

BustedJack 05-02-2007 08:12 AM

A bit out there........... but if you take off the (A) emblem and replacement with Mercedes Emblem... I promise the car will look like a E class :D

:spit:

dwboston 05-02-2007 08:54 AM

I'm in for a Legend badge.

artbran 05-02-2007 02:16 PM

I'll buy one. If $20 is all it costs plus shipping, count me in...

sdacuraguy 05-03-2007 11:48 AM

$20...a no brainer...would go for it.

stchas 05-05-2007 07:36 AM

As a younger man, I always wanted to own an Acura Legend, but alas did not have the means. Now that I have the means (and an RL), all I need is the emblem. I'm in!

Qatar 05-05-2007 09:32 AM

Can someone arrange this where we have an official number of potential buyers