Replaced Fob battery, can't use any remote functions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 12:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replaced Fob battery, can't use any remote functions

Hi all as the title suggest, I replaced batteries in Driver 2, and can't get any remote functions from either remote 1 or 2. To my knowledge all of this is original equipment. Fob 1 used to work before I put it in storage. Can still operate car with both keys.

Things I have tried:
The position 0 - 2 then lock repeated four times. That does not work for either fob.

I am able to link memory seats with driver 1 but not driver 2.

can I try anything else before going to Acura/Honda
Old 12-20-2020, 04:36 AM
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
Make sure Fob 1 is not dead and you didn't reverse the Fob 2 battery's polarity upon installation.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:44 AM
10th Gear

The LED on each remote illuminates when I press a button and when I put the vehicle in pos 0.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation first.

Both remotes had old batteries. Remote 1 worked last time you used it, then you stored it a long time. Batteries can lose juice in storage, too.

I'd invest $5 to see if your new Remote 2 battery is bad. Replace both batteries.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:00 PM
10th Gear

Yeah you were right. The batteries were bad. I returned to used battery and remote started to work again. I measured all batteries they range from 2.99V - 3.03V . I supposed those batteries did not store well in my glove compartment.
The following users liked this post:
TonyCD (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeigh
Yeah you were right. The batteries were bad. I returned to used battery and remote started to work again. I measured all batteries they range from 2.99V - 3.03V . I supposed those batteries did not store well in my glove compartment.
Glad it worked out for you. Oodles cheaper than the alternatives.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:21 PM
10th Gear

**Closed**
Initial Problem: Replaced Key Fob batteries with what I thought was new batteries.
Symptoms:
LED Illuminates but Fob functions are disabled.
Car Dash reads low battery

Did not work:
Re Linking Car to Fob, did not work and did not break. May not work with RL 05 and later

Solution:
Replaced battery to new battery(s). CR2025 Battery is a 3.V battery but FOB and Car want more than 3V
A new battery will read 3.2V - 3.3V ( Measured )
Old 03-03-2021, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeigh
**Closed**
Initial Problem: Replaced Key Fob batteries with what I thought was new batteries.
Symptoms:
LED Illuminates but Fob functions are disabled.
Car Dash reads low battery

Did not work:
Re Linking Car to Fob, did not work and did not break. May not work with RL 05 and later

Solution:
Replaced battery to new battery(s). CR2025 Battery is a 3.V battery but FOB and Car want more than 3V
A new battery will read 3.2V - 3.3V ( Measured )
I wanted to chime in on this with a similar question. I had a low battery signal on fob 1, so got brand new batteries, replaced the battery and as soon as I did the car alarm started going off. Only way to stop it was to click on fob 2, which fortunately was close by. In the garage and it was blasting. Opened the fob back up, fiddled with the NEW battery to make sure it was seated, closed up again and as soon as I clicked the case closed the alarm goes off again. Again click on fob 2 and alarm stopped. I can start the car with Fob 1, using the manual method, hold against start button until it goes green and then push to start. This was about 2 months ago, and since I'm only driving sporadically, I decided to wait until spring to worry about it. I called the dealer and of course, they said bring it in, but I don't want to pay them $150 to give me a new fob. I suspect it may have something to do with the way the case on the fob is closing and something not quite right, but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience. This thread is the closest I have found. Suggestions..?
Old 03-03-2021, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flj0303
I wanted to chime in on this with a similar question. I had a low battery signal on fob 1, so got brand new batteries, replaced the battery and as soon as I did the car alarm started going off. Only way to stop it was to click on fob 2, which fortunately was close by. In the garage and it was blasting. Opened the fob back up, fiddled with the NEW battery to make sure it was seated, closed up again and as soon as I clicked the case closed the alarm goes off again. Again click on fob 2 and alarm stopped. I can start the car with Fob 1, using the manual method, hold against start button until it goes green and then push to start. This was about 2 months ago, and since I'm only driving sporadically, I decided to wait until spring to worry about it. I called the dealer and of course, they said bring it in, but I don't want to pay them $150 to give me a new fob. I suspect it may have something to do with the way the case on the fob is closing and something not quite right, but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience. This thread is the closest I have found. Suggestions..?
I think you suspect the answer yourself: First and simplest thing to check is whether you're putting fob 1 back together in a way that's continuously depressing its red Panic button.