Replaced AC Field Coil and AC still not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:58 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced AC Field Coil and AC still not working

First let me note that the guide for replacing the field coil was excellent.

2005 Acura RL

AC quite working all of a sudden. No intermittent issues. I confirmed that the clutch was not being engaged. Based on the input from the forum I thought there was a good chance it was the field coil so I went ahead with that replacement. The old one was melted and the connectors showed no connectivity (spec is for approximately 4.3 ohms or something like that). Seemed pretty certain that the coil was bad.

I replaced the coil with an OEM stator kit. The clutch now engages when the AC is turned on but the system still only blows hot air. I tried to add freon but the pressure is very high as if the compressor is not functioning. I swapped out the head light relay with the compressor relay and it did not help. It looks like there are only two 7.5 amp fuses protecting the system- one on the driver's side interior fuse box and one on the passenger side fuse box. Both seem ok.

It seems odd that the field coil would fail at the same time as something else. I am wondering if there are other fuses I should check or if there is a system reset of some sort I should do? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.