refurb headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 08:04 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
refurb headlights

Hi all,I refinished my headlights today and noticed the inside backing is black/dark looking.Does anyone know why? My guess is style or accent,but does it serve a functional purpose? Just curious,
Old 01-01-2020, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by chuchie
Hi all,I refinished my headlights today and noticed the inside backing is black/dark looking.Does anyone know why? My guess is style or accent,but does it serve a functional purpose? Just curious,
Are pictures avail / possible?
Old 01-02-2020, 08:50 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by rl015
Are pictures avail / possible?
Don't know if a picture would help.All the pictures I've seen have the headlights looking dark/tinted.The reason being the dark housing or backing.My sons toyota has silver insides as does my wifes Nissan.Just look at the space between the high/low bulbs.....BTW mine is a 2008 rl tech awd,.lots of pictures of em in new owners section.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by chuchie
Don't know if a picture would help.All the pictures I've seen have the headlights looking dark/tinted.The reason being the dark housing or backing.My sons toyota has silver insides as does my wifes Nissan.Just look at the space between the high/low bulbs.....BTW mine is a 2008 rl tech awd,.lots of pictures of em in new owners section.
Ah that - yeah, you are right: my understanding is the same, to create that "lux" aspect of the vehicle vs clear silver interior housing of the headlight.

Something similar Mercedes does with their manufacturer stock door windows and windshield - they have blue-ish hue to them vs all other cars... I think it is just that extra step to make car different and lux...

What I love about RL (among other features) is the B pillar - how flush with door windows it is... only currently active cars you can see this on is Tesla... check that out how they did it to reduce wind-noise and better aero-dynamics of the car.
IF you look 100k+ cars from lux brands do not have it flush how tesla and RL do
Old 01-03-2020, 07:54 AM
4th Gear

Smile

Ah that - yeah, you are right: my understanding is the same, to create that "lux" aspect of the vehicle vs clear silver interior housing of the headlight.

Something similar Mercedes does with their manufacturer stock door windows and windshield - they have blue-ish hue to them vs all other cars... I think it is just that extra step to make car different and lux...

What I love about RL (among other features) is the B pillar - how flush with door windows it is... only currently active cars you can see this on is Tesla... check that out how they did it to reduce wind-noise and better aero-dynamics of the car.
Interesting point about the B pillar,hadn"t thought about that.Anyway,thanks for the reply
Old 01-04-2020, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts

Same goes for the rear doors. The window and the little auxillary window are entirely flush.
The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (01-12-2020)