Reason for hit and miss memory?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:35 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Reason for hit and miss memory?!

I think a few people have mentioned running into the following.

Sometimes when I enter my unlocked car that was parked in my garage, I notice that the "1" memory light will not illuminate. I think we all chalked it up to a quirk.

Well I think I just found out the cause. I have my steering wheel set to tilt all the way down and telescope out pretty far for my setting. In other words it has to travel pretty far before it reaches it's setting.

Well I just noticed that if you shift the car out of park (too soon) before the steering column and wheel have completed it's travel, it will stop the movement and the light WILL NOT illuminate.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks

Sometimes when I enter my unlocked car that was parked in my garage, I notice that the "1" memory light will not illuminate. I think we all chalked it up to a quirk.

Well I think I just found out the cause. I have my steering wheel set to tilt all the way down and telescope out pretty far for my setting. In other words it has to travel pretty far before it reaches it's setting.

Well I just noticed that if you shift the car out of park (too soon) before the steering column and wheel have completed it's travel, it will stop the movement and the light WILL NOT illuminate.
Same here.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys need to have your batteries checked. I had the similar problem and the mem 1 would not lit up after I started the car. The problem occurred randomly and everything is perfectliy fine after the dealer replaced the battery...
Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

That is correct per the owner's manual, shifting out of park before the steering wheel has completed it's setup. It's the same effect as adjusting the seat or mirror, which will also turn off the memory light.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i learned something today...i always wondered about that myself
Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
(Mike Myers' "Wayne" voice) I was not aware of that.

Learned something new, thanks!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Pro

My steering wheel is also set to telescope way out. This morning when I turned on the ignition, it took maybe 2 seconds for the steering wheel to adjust and the engine to turn over (virtual tie). If you're taking it out of park inside of that time span, you must be in a hurry to take off.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

Simple cure.

ALWAYS LOCK YOUR CAR!

I have never experienced this as I always lock my car, even in the garage (once or twice a year, may garage door opener gets rebellious and opens on it's own ).

By unlocking the car, the tilt wheel always makes it into position before I can get in, sit, wiggle my butt into the comfort zone and hit the ignition.

Being that the keyless memory system is triggered and reinitiates by the door locks...use em!

Next, I am waiting to hear how touching the car is just too much effort!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by robarsan
If you're taking it out of park inside of that time span, you must be in a hurry to take off.
"The Acura RL, the Official Car of Getaway Drivers Everywhere. Acura: ADVANCE"
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Simple cure.

ALWAYS LOCK YOUR CAR!

By unlocking the car, the tilt wheel always makes it into position before I can get in, sit, wiggle my butt into the comfort zone and hit the ignition.
Tampa,

The steering wheel only moves when you start the car or turn it off. It does not adjust itself when you unlock the car like the seats and mirrors.

Again, it's not a battery thing as UW RL mentioned because in all other instances it works fine.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 AM

Also, this will happen even if you unlock your car. As Robersan mentioned, by shifting too soon, you're interrupting the adjustment and it's akin to performing a manual adjustment.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Tampa,

The steering wheel only moves when you start the car or turn it off. It does not adjust itself when you unlock the car like the seats and mirrors.

Again, it's not a battery thing as UW RL mentioned because in all other instances it works fine.

DOH! I beg forgiveness! I throw myself at your mercy!

I guess I am such a creature of habit, I did not realize that. Thinking of my habits, I do not crank-n-go, so I could not have encountered this issue. In fact, I never even engage DRIVE until the NAVI boots up and the nag screen is gone. Not because of the back up camera either...I usually back into my parking spaces!

OK, off to th Golden Corral now to get in line for the early bird special!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I have wondered why my settings seem to work some times and others not. Good information.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 AM

DOH! I beg forgiveness! I throw myself at your mercy!

I guess I am such a creature of habit, I did not realize that. Thinking of my habits, I do not crank-n-go, so I could not have encountered this issue. In fact, I never even engage DRIVE until the NAVI boots up and the nag screen is gone. Not because of the back up camera either...I usually back into my parking spaces!

OK, off to th Golden Corral now to get in line for the early bird special!
It's OK, we'll let it slide this time. Don't let it happen again.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may very well be the case but I have a very slight adjustment on the steering wheel, I don't think it is possible for me to get the car into drive before the steering wheel sets itself, yet I still have intermittent functionality of my memory presets. I back my car into the garage and sometimes when I leave in the morning the passenger side mirror is still in the down position and my memory light is not on. Coincidentally, this problem started with my phantom door locks, so I wonder if it is tied together, dealer said I need a new actuator to fix the phantom lock issue, I will be mentioning the memory preset intermittent functionality as well. If I receive some kind of revelation about the problem from my dealer I will be sure to share. I only have 20% oil life so it won't be long.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Pro

"The Acura RL, the Official Car of Getaway Drivers Everywhere. Acura: ADVANCE"
LOL