Question re: RL remembering seat position

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question re: RL remembering seat position

Key fob 1 and Key fob 2 happen to approach different sides of the car at roughly the same time, but person with key fob 2 (not the driver) unlocks car using the right door handle. Driver (key fob 1) gets in driver's seat and notices that the seat adjusts to the pre-set position of key fob 2. He also notices that the green light on the door for seat position 2 is lit. Driver pushes the button for the seat and steering wheel to move to the pre-set position of key fob 1 but nothing happens - the seat doesn't move and green light #2 stays on. Driver has to manually adjust the seat and wheel.

Is this the expected behavior?

Why can't the driver push seat position button #1 even if the car has first recognized key fob 2?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Because Driver #2 might want to set both driver and passenger seats a certain way that is different from Driver #1. Just push the key fob for whatever driver you want to be the "active" driver to eliminate ambiguity.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Pushing Driver 1 should adjust to #1 settings, but yuo have to do it while in park.
Also, does not matter if FOB2 unlocks car, it is who approaches car first. So, you could unlock car on drivers side and it would still use Driver 2 settings if FOB2 got to proximity of car first. (and vice versa, FOB1 gets to card first, and person with FOB2 unlocks on passenger side, but settings would be #1)
That's my experience and I believe also the way it is explained in manual. I do not know the distance for "proximity"
Old 12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Advanced

I have driven off so many times with the wrong settings, like the dim-blue nav screen that my wife likes, that now I always unlock the car with the remote keyfob button before either of us gets close to the car when we are together. It prevents those random driver 1/2 problems, plus I get to see the dust illuminated by the cool led's in the door handles.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Racer

I unlocked my car last night with the remote for the first time (had the kids with me) and noticed the lighted door handles. How cool would it be if those illuminated when the fob was in the "unlockable" proxmitity?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Is there a way to set the interior lights on automatically when you open the doors? There should be a setting on the MID. Not sure.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by kollamala
Is there a way to set the interior lights on automatically when you open the doors? There should be a setting on the MID. Not sure.
I think you can do that from the overhead console. I believe there is a button labeled "off" and "door" (I'm not near my car at the moment). If you press the "door" button a green light will light up verifying its selection. This should cause the interior lights to come on when you press the keyfob unlock button or open the doors.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Advanced

On my 2006, it's labeled "Auto". When you press it, the green light comes on. When you exit the vehicle, if you lock the doors, the green light goes out, otherwise it stays on.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by mwiles
On my 2006, it's labeled "Auto". When you press it, the green light comes on. When you exit the vehicle, if you lock the doors, the green light goes out, otherwise it stays on.
You're right. I wasn't near my car at the time of my posting. Tried to rely on my memory
Old 12-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ed111
Key fob 1 and Key fob 2 happen to approach different sides of the car at roughly the same time, but person with key fob 2 (not the driver) unlocks car using the right door handle. Driver (key fob 1) gets in driver's seat and notices that the seat adjusts to the pre-set position of key fob 2. He also notices that the green light on the door for seat position 2 is lit. Driver pushes the button for the seat and steering wheel to move to the pre-set position of key fob 1 but nothing happens - the seat doesn't move and green light #2 stays on. Driver has to manually adjust the seat and wheel.

Is this the expected behavior?

Why can't the driver push seat position button #1 even if the car has first recognized key fob 2?
You might try re-memorizing the #1 position and see if it "takes."

Regarding those memory buttons, I've had a similar problem with my '05RL at 55,000+ miles from the gitgo...except that I'm the only one driving the car and have always just used remote #1...remote #2 sits in a drawer in the house without batteries.

I have two memorized positions. If the car occasionally does recognize #1, the light goes out when the position is reached. If the car does happen to memorize #2, the light will stay on. The steering wheel does not seem to work with either position...automatically. Most of the time, I have to manually push either #1 or #2 with the car in park to get the correct seat and steering wheel positions...everything else is memorized OK...radio, etc.

I've tried unsychronizing/synchronizing the remote and resetting the positions, but the operation of the feature has always been random. I've not tried disconnecting the battery and resetting in that manner and will not since everything else seems to work!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

2005 labelled DOOR

Originally Posted by Treblig
I think you can do that from the overhead console. I believe there is a button labeled "off" and "door" (I'm not near my car at the moment). If you press the "door" button a green light will light up verifying its selection. This should cause the interior lights to come on when you press the keyfob unlock button or open the doors.
Thanks this was easy.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Cruisin'

I had an interesting thing happen over the weekend. My wife and I took a trip of about 200 miles away. She had her FOB and I had mine. This was the first time we traveled together with her having the FOB for driver 2. We were traveling using the nav system. Typically with my TL when you start the car it asked if you wanted to continue on the programed course. When I started the car there was no message to continue the trip, all pre-programed radio stations were gone and my address book was empty. Here I am in the middle of nowhere (Clewiston, Fl.) and thinking that something is wrong with the car. Should I continue East to Boca, I'm certain that the nearest Acura dealer is 100 miles away. After the panic calmed down I hoped that the car had read my wife's FOB. Turned the car off and locked and then unlocked the car with my FOB. Bingo everything was back to normal. I love the keyless entry system but there ought to be a way when two FOB's approach the car that the car needs to be told to switch drivers rather than the car just picking the first FOB it "sees"