Question How can you tell if has the Technology Package?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How can you tell if has the Technology Package?

I am going to a 2005 or perferbly 2006 and up RL. The only thing is I am not sure how to differentiate one with the technology package and one without from pictures. Can someone let me know how to tell?

thanks
Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Hey Triplecore,
I closed one of your threads because it was the same thing as this thread you opened. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Instructor

In 2005 RL there was one option. With everything it came with, NAVI, Bose surround sound, stuff like that. 2006 added CMBS and ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) with PAX run flats. 2007 the NAVI was an option and 2008 no change from options I believe. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
As noted above, in 2005, there was no technology package. One trim level that was more or less equivalent to the 2007 and 2008 technology package trim levels.

For 2006, the Acura RL was also offered in a second trim level, the optional 'Technology Package' which included three new features adaptive cruise control (ACC), Collision Mitigation Braking System, and Michelin PAX System run-flat tires on unique PAX 235 mm x 460 mm A ("A" for asymmetric) aluminum alloy wheels with unique 245-680R460A Michelin Pilot HX MXM 4 all season grand touring type radials designed for the Michelin PAX System.

In 2006 only, did Technology Package mean something different. You can tell the 2006 technology package by the plastic grill that hides the CMBS radar and the interior dash has a button that says CMBS off. The PAX tires might be another way to tell, but is not as reliable as the other two.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:36 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Chas2
As noted above, in 2005, there was no technology package. One trim level that was more or less equivalent to the 2007 and 2008 technology package trim levels.

For 2006, the Acura RL was also offered in a second trim level, the optional 'Technology Package' which included three new features adaptive cruise control (ACC), Collision Mitigation Braking System, and Michelin PAX System run-flat tires on unique PAX 235 mm x 460 mm A ("A" for asymmetric) aluminum alloy wheels with unique 245-680R460A Michelin Pilot HX MXM 4 all season grand touring type radials designed for the Michelin PAX System.

In 2006 only, did Technology Package mean something different. You can tell the 2006 technology package by the plastic grill that hides the CMBS radar and the interior dash has a button that says CMBS off. The PAX tires might be another way to tell, but is not as reliable as the other two.

cool thanks for the quick response; I really appreacite I was stumped when looking at autotrader.

Last question with the "Colision Mitigation System" how does it warn you when you are about to crash into a car, but before a accident is avoidable? On the s80 it warns you with beeps and when the collision imminent it tightens the seatbelt. One of the review magazine says on the RL it tugs on your seatbelt prior to an accident; giving you the ability to prevent the accident?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Chas2 and Trtiplecore thanks for uploading the pics about the differences. I was going to do that but you guys beet me to it.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by triplecore
cool thanks for the quick response; I really appreacite I was stumped when looking at autotrader.

Last question with the "Colision Mitigation System" how does it warn you when you are about to crash into a car, but before a accident is avoidable? On the s80 it warns you with beeps and when the collision imminent it tightens the seatbelt. One of the review magazine says on the RL it tugs on your seatbelt prior to an accident; giving you the ability to prevent the accident?
Here's how it works in 2009...

When you're approaching a car too fast, it gives you a yellow blink blink.

If you're really up close, it tightens seat belt and applies light braking.

If you're crashing (haven't tested for my self), it will apply full brake pressure to lighten the impact.

On happy days, it will keep your cruise control speed and slow down or accelerate as needed when other cars cut in in front of you.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
^^^^037 does it a lot quicker and better....but here is what I pulled anyway

Here is the press release in 2005 introducing the new capability for 2006
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/757/releases/2718

COLLISION MITIGATION BRAKING SYSTEM™ (CMBS™)The 2006 RL is the first Acura vehicle to offer an optional Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™). This revolutionary safety technology monitors potential rear-end collisions, uses audio, visual and tactile signals to alert drivers to the risk of collision, assists brake operation and tensions the front seatbelts to help reduce impact on occupants and vehicle damage should a collision become unavoidable. Unlike pre-collision systems on competitive vehicles, CMBS automatically applies the brakes to mitigate the severity of a collision.

Using a millimeter-wave radar unit located inside the front grille, the CMBS system monitors the distance between the RL and the car directly in front of it up to a distance of 300 feet and the rate of closure between the two vehicles. When that closing rate increases to a point where a collision is likely to occur (based on relative vehicle speeds and following distance) the system uses visual, and audible warnings to prompt the driver to take preventative action. If, based on the driver's response, the system determines that the likelihood of a collision has decreased to an acceptable level, the CMBS system will disengage. If, however, the driver's response does not sufficiently reduce the risk of a collision, the system will issue a secondary warning, consisting of audible, visual and tactile elements as well as light braking, to alert the driver to take action. If the closing rate increases so much that a collision becomes unavoidable, CMBS can initiate hard braking to reduce the vehicle's speed, and tension the driver's and front passenger's seatbelts to help reduce the severity of the crash.

Stage one: When there is a risk of a collision with the vehicle ahead or if the distance between the vehicles has dropped below the pre-set level, a buzzer sounds and the message "BRAKE" appears on the Multi-information display.

Stage two: If the distance between the two vehicles continues to diminish, CMBS applies light braking, and an electric motor activates the driver's seat belt E-pretensioner, retracting the seatbelt gently two or three times, providing the driver with a tactile warning. The buzzer sounds again and the word "BRAKE" appears again on the Multi-information display.

Stage three: If, after issuing the primary and secondary warnings, the system determines that a collision is unavoidable, the E-pretensioner retracts the driver's and front passenger's seatbelts with enough force to compensate for seatbelt slack or baggy clothing and activates the brakes forcefully to reduce the speed of impact and mitigate the effects of the collision on the RL and its occupants.

The CMBS system functions only when the RL is traveling at over 10 miles per hour and when the speed differential between the RL and the car directly in front it is 10 mile per hour or more. It can be turned off by depressing a switch located on the left hand side of the instrument panel.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the responses (esp from Chas2). Now I just need to find a RL with the Real Tech Package. Has anyone noticed many RL's are advertised with the Tech Package; when they don't really have them!

Does anyone have any real experiences with Collision Mitigation on the 2006 RL?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

Is the CMBS on an '06 RL placed somewhere different than an '07 or '08? I called a dealership where they're selling an '06 RL tech and claim it doesn't have CMBS/ACC. I thought all '06 RL w/ NAV have CMBS/ACC and that it only became a separate package in 2007.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
No, there are '06 RL's without CMBS but still have navigation.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Needs to clean up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ALL 05 & 06 have nav as standard.
Some 06 have CMBS/ACC (tech).
None of 05 have CMBS/ACC.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by triplecore
Does anyone have any real experiences with Collision Mitigation on the 2006 RL?
Yup...I was driving my son to school when the car in front of me decided to stop (suddenly, without warning) to let a passenger out (in the middle of the street). My CMBS activated to stage 3 immediately and while it didn't stop my car (it's not designed to stop the car...just slow it down to lessen the severity of an impact should one occur), it did slow it quite a bit...enough for me to steer around the stopped car and passenger. Stage 3 on the CMBS will certainly wake you up.

LL
Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by ohiosux
Is the CMBS on an '06 RL placed somewhere different than an '07 or '08? I called a dealership where they're selling an '06 RL tech and claim it doesn't have CMBS/ACC. I thought all '06 RL w/ NAV have CMBS/ACC and that it only became a separate package in 2007.
OK...this is commonly confusing as they are essentially the same cars, but packaged and LABLED differently between 2006 and 2007.

In 2006 the RL was the same as 2005...all factory options included, except a package of CMBS+ACC+PAX. This additional package was called TECH in 2006.

In 2007 Acura broke up the packaging to introduce a new BASE model. This BASE model removed the NAVI, AFS Headlights and real wood trim was replaced by plood. The next model was called TECH which was the same as the 2006 (and 2005)...which had the NAVI, AFS and wood. Then the package that included CMBS+ACC+PAX was no longer called TECH, just the CMBX/PAX packages. Geez.

So,,,,apples to apples a 2007 RL TECH was the equivalent to a 2006 or 2005. Or a 2006 TECH = 2007 CMBS/PAX. The only feature changed, as you mentioned was ONSTAR ceased after 2006. Also some color changes were made, dropped or added.

2005 (base) = 2006 (base) = 2007 TECH = 2008 TECH

2006 TECH = 2007 CMBS/PAX = 2008 CMBS/PAX

Warranty is the same for 2006 forward.

The sad part about all the convalutions Acura made is it really did nothing for the sales volume of the car.

Kabish?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=packaging

This topic should be a sticky!