Question about 3M Scotchtint Carbon based film

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about 3M Scotchtint Carbon based film

Since using a metallized tint is out of the question for navi equipped RL's, I've been debating about whether to get a ceramic film vs a carbon based film, both of which will not interfere with the gps.

I'm leaning toward the 3M scotchtint carbon based film....Anybody have this film, and care to comment on their experience with it? I hear its one of the darkest films around.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by blacktlsport
Since using a metallized tint is out of the question for navi equipped RL's, I've been debating about whether to get a ceramic film vs a carbon based film, both of which will not interfere with the gps.

I'm leaning toward the 3M scotchtint carbon based film....Anybody have this film, and care to comment on their experience with it? I hear its one of the darkest films around.
Carbon or ceramic? I used the 3M ceramic on my TL and it held up very well. No scratches, or fade to green. Also, against the demands of the TL forum, I did not use moleskin. There was no change in my GPS reception from the tint.

So far, I have decided against tint on my RL. But I do like the look of a vehicle with a well done tint job.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on the fence about a tint job. By California law the windshield and front windows must transmit at least 70% of available light. Someone else posted that our RLs already have a bit of tint from the factory.

Having a black car with black interior though, it would be nice to keep a little cooler in the summer. Plus, a subtle tint looks nice.

Anyone have a suggestion for a "lite" tint that won't attract unnecessary attention from Smokey? I don't want to go darker in back and lighter in front...cheesy.

BTW a local tint shop tried to talk me into using their regular metallic tint. They said they would have to special-order a nonmetallic tint. They quoted $250 to do 4 side windows and the rear window.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I too do not like the two tone look from varying tint gradient front to back. So I went with the lighter all around for continuity. But the TL was tough to back up at night between the tint, poor rear visability and the lousy back up lights. I liked the look, but it had a cost.

I do remember there were various grades in the tint, but at that time the 3M ceramic was only in 3 grades (or at least what that shop offered). I paid $225 for my TL in January 05.

I might consider a light tint on the RL since the backup cam does make for better nightime reversing. I'll see how I fare with the summer heat soon upon us. So far I use the rear sun screen when the rising / setting sun is behind me, or the rare times I park outside. And without tint on the RL I can see well at night for my aging eyeballs.