Question: 05 Steering linkage

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Question: 05 Steering linkage

Question for anyone that has experience with the 2005 steering linkages. I was just getting ready to install replacement front strut assemblies and noticed that if I twist the steering link, its rotates at the ball joint and makes a clunk sound. The rubber boot isn't worn out and no cracks. Same condition & sound on both sides when I manually twist the link rod. All other connecting joints look good and feel solid. 168k miles on this car. No links or ball joints ever replaced.

Wanted to know if this particular link is supposed to be able to twist like this? Or maybe it is, but the clunk sound is not normal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by swake457
Question for anyone that has experience with the 2005 steering linkages. I was just getting ready to install replacement front strut assemblies and noticed that if I twist the steering link, its rotates at the ball joint and makes a clunk sound. The rubber boot isn't worn out and no cracks. Same condition & sound on both sides when I manually twist the link rod. All other connecting joints look good and feel solid. 168k miles on this car. No links or ball joints ever replaced.

Wanted to know if this particular link is supposed to be able to twist like this? Or maybe it is, but the clunk sound is not normal?

Thanks in advance.
I think I know what you mean. I suspect you're talking about the inner tie rod. It does have a slight amount of play when you rotate it that way normally, but the clunk sounds abnormal. This should help!

The following users liked this post:
swake457 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Bingo - that's it. The outer tie rods on both sides must be worn out. They easily rotate/twist and make a clunk sound. If these videos, and a few others like ECG, are any indicator, the tie rod end should never move as easily as mine are now and definitely no clunking sounds. Looks like I'm ordering two new outer tie rods!