Pride and excitement…turns to disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Pride and excitement…turns to disappointment

For the second time in three months the RL has had a dead battery.

1st time December 31st, dealer stated “dead cell”. Yes I went through the “did you have the ignition switch turn all the way off.’ Yes I did, thank you.

2nd time April 13th, it is now on its second ride on a roll back truck to the dealer.

Now the question comes from the uninformed, “where was the remote.” My response “what is your point?”

Both times the car was in my garage for 5 days and 3 days respectively without starting. It is unlikely the cause is another dead cell in the battery.

It is interesting to note that On-Star can not provide unlocking service or vehicle locator service after the car sits for 48 hours as the vehicle goes into a “sleep mode.”

Why in all of their infinite wisdom, can’t the car go into a “sleep mode” to not drain the battery?

I have called Acura customer service and asked for their assistance.

Acura road assistance is great, but….
Old 04-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Are you perhaps leaving something on in the car without noticing it?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Instructor

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that something remains "on" if the key/remote is left in or near the car, and can eventually drain the battery. I'm not yet an owner, just a potential buyer, so I haven't had any experience with it, yet...

Randy
Old 04-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am one of the previous posters about getting dead batteries. Never had the battery replaced and I think I left something on in both times it happened to me. Also, I have now successfully left my car unattended in the garage for 8 days and was able to start it up. So, the battery does not automatically just go dead after a few days which I was beginning to suspect (which would be a MAJOR flaw BTW). Some possibilities include: 1. Overhead reading light left on (why this would not be programmed to go off automatically is beyond me), 2. Power was drained by working the radio/nav then turned off completely but close to its drain point and car left to sit for a few days 3. The ignition not fully to the OFF position. 4. Perhaps other situations unknow to me. That is what I know, it is frustrating. My advice to you is not to have the car towed in but, rather, jump it yourself. You will need to reenter the radio and possibly the nav code but it should start up right away and save you a trip.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Minnesota RLer

key fob

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that something remains "on" if the key/remote is left in or near the car, and can eventually drain the battery. I'm not yet an owner, just a potential buyer, so I haven't had any experience with it, yet...

Randy
I leave my key fob in the car all the time. I have not had any problems with the battery. I've had mine for 5 months.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:18 AM
Advanced

Acura CS called and will followup. This is not an isolated incident.

Dealer in an attempt to be helpful? started the RL before I picked it up (1 day at dealer) and said it turned right over. Well... that is not the problem - 1 day, this occurs after setting for 3 to 5 days.

We will see what come of this.

If the remote is withing 3 feet(?) of the car and left there, it will drain the battery as stated by Acura CS.