Preaching to the choir

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Preaching to the choir

Read an article today that made me laugh. Sounds like this guy has been reading Acurazine

The article is a review about the new TSX, but keep reading. He goes off on a tangent half way through that sounds slightly familiar

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...tory?track=rss
Old 04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This article is very accurate actually. I was at my local Acura dealer getting the door handle on my 05 RL replaced for the THIRD time, and decided to take the 2009 TSX for a test drive. The description of a luxury car wrapped around an economy powertrain, albeit a very good one, sums it up nicely. And yes, he does sound like he frequents Acurazine based on his marketing comments!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan Neil is one of the better auto industry columnists, IMHO-he usually captures the positive AND negative aspects of the cars he reviews and has an entertaining style to boot.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
OK Dan Neil, have you been reading the RL board here at Acurazine? What's your screenname here? Is SpicyMikey not really from Florida, but from Cali? THANK YOU for stating the problem with Acura so perfectly. The best quotes, then I will shut up.

Usually, I dismiss big M Marketing as the lowest form of automotive expertise, the department of any company where people put their half-wit brothers-in-law and work-release types. But Acura must do better in getting the message out. The RDX -- the compact luxury crossover -- is the best product in its segment. The RL is an astonishing automobile. Who's being paid to promote these products? These people should be shamed like Japanese companies used to shame their employees: They should be made to stand in front of their building in their underwear shouting abject apologies and self-recrimination while being berated by their superiors. The good old days.
(My bolding) All I can say is fsck yeah! 1000% right! The RL is definitely an amazing car....but you have to get to know it to understand WHY it's as good as the tri-star and white/blue roundel competition. How can Acura be allowed to fsck up basic marketing for the RL like it has? Fire some people, dammit, and start over!

Well, I started out saying there was nothing that interesting about the TSX. Not true. Honda-Acura did something very bold with this car and that was not to gratuitously add displacement and horsepower in the redesign. Acura is, I think, the first luxury brand to step off the horsepower spiral and say "enough." What's under the hood is a stupendously fine 2.4-liter, high-compression four-cylinder producing 201 horsepower (what the previous model achieved with slightly more midrange torque). That's a specific output of 83.75 hp per liter, getting very close to the magic 100/liter mark, while still achieving up to 30 miles per gallon on the highway (with an automatic transmission).
(My bolding again) Excellent point. If Acura is exiting the HP wars, then they should SAY SO and WHY--that message would resonate with the gas-price conscious crowd.

So sorry. /soapbox

Can't wait to drive my RL to the S2K meet tonight, I love the S but still enjoy the relaxed experience of the RL so mch. (It's also too cold to bring out the S.)
Old 04-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I might be Devils Advocate here for a moment and comment on Acura marketing and the lack thereof. I have read numerous comments and threads that have digressed in discussions of marketing. I think all of us here at Acurazine appreciate the RL for the car that it is, the engineering, fit and finish, performance and luxury appointments. I certainly didn't buy the vehicle because of a fancy commercial or marketing catch line, not because someone convinced me that I 'needed' the RL for my image. All of us here at Acurazine have discovered the RL. We would all be remiss if we didn't acknowledge the fact that the deep discounts we have all been enjoying is positive, especially when leasing. Of course this doesn't bode well for depreciation, but we also enjoy the RL for better or for worse. What will happen when and if Acura finally markets like BMW?? Well, we probably won't expect the discounts we currently enjoy, the cars will sell better most certainly. Is this good for us or for Acura/Honda corporate?? Could be good for both I suppose. Maybe brand image will be better, but I don't really think that's what's most important to everyone on this forum. We'll see ourselves driving by a lot more frequently, I personally love the exclusivity and rarely see an RL on my drive to work. Marketing for Acura and specifically the RL could change a lot of the things I currently enjoy about my car. Maybe Acura is doing just enough marketing, maybe not. Just something to think about.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Funny thing is, I never knew Acura even entered the horsepower wars to begin with. Their most powerful engine doesn't even MATCH the horsepower of their direct competition.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

DoctorTuna, you raise a good point. I didn't buy the RL because of a marketing campaign, I am a Hondaphile and pay attention to their cars in general. I also did thorough research prior to my purchase, indicating that the RL and M35 best met my needs, and you see which one I chose.

The reason for marketing is to bring in people from outside the Honda-buying ranks, and Acura has failed in that regard IMHO.

OK, I will really be quiet this time as I've beaten the issue to death again. Sorry!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
OK Dan Neil, have you been reading the RL board here at Acurazine? What's your screenname here? Is SpicyMikey not really from Florida, but from Cali? THANK YOU for stating the problem with Acura so perfectly. The best quotes, then I will shut up.
You finally figured me out. I'm Dan Neil from the LA Times. I get all my good insight and material from Acurazine, especially you Bob
Old 04-30-2008, 09:18 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Loved that review, the big front toof on the TSX is so right.
Acura sales rep (for what it's worth) told me Acura doesn't do much marketing to save money (for us or them?)
ok fine, so spend some on rims.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Acura sales rep (for what it's worth) told me Acura doesn't do much marketing to save money (for us or them?)
Or at least lower the price on the optional sets! The new TSX offers optionall 18's for over $3000!! Are you kidding me? Considering they get to keep the old set, it should be more like $500.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Penny wise and pound foolish, IMHO (from the tenor section).
Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

Excellent Article Dan, way to address an issue that clearly a large corporation like Acura still has no idea on how to rectify.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
You finally figured me out. I'm Dan Neil from the LA Times. I get all my good insight and material from Acurazine, especially you Bob
LOL!
Old 05-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Or at least lower the price on the optional sets! The new TSX offers optionall 18's for over $3000!! Are you kidding me? Considering they get to keep the old set, it should be more like $500.
If your dealer keeps the old set, their screwing you. The accessory wheels are expensive, but then again, they are Enkei rims and you should be getting them with your stock set.