Please Help: Being Offered 2005 RL , Manufacturer Buyback

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:14 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jehazel
Have you run a carfax on this vehicle? Does it say anything on there in terms of the buy back or was that just a courtesy admission by the dealer? I don't know why that would show up on any official reports regarding that vehicle.

I went through the arbitration process with Chrysler back in 1996. I had bought a brand new car which stayed in the shop more than it did in my driveway. I had a stack of paperwork and the dealership admitting they had no idea how to fix it (various electrical problems and the dealer had replaced every component they could think of). Anyway, I ended up taking it to arbitration and I was denied restitution (buy the vehicle back) because the vehicle was not in for service the qualifying number of times for the same issue within the designated timeframe. The thing was, it was in for the same problem each time but since they logged it as a different component each time, it did not meet their requirements.

The GM knew I was not very pleased with the outcome and I informed him that I would be visiting with my attorney to pursue recourse under the Lemon Law. Within a week Chrysler flew someone down from Corporate and he met with me and the dealership and offered to buy the vehicle back for what I paid for it (minus a small mileage charge). They explained that this would allow them to correct the problems on their own time and then resell the vehicle. Whereas, if they were forced to buy it back under the Lemon Law they would be required to destroy the vehicle or would not be allowed to resell it in certain states.

Yes I ran a carfax and it's denoted as a Lemon under this catagroy. I agree, this car is probably fine, however it will be much harder to sell or trade IMO. For 2K more I can get a car that will likely sell for 2K or more much easier. CARfax and other services have a category for lemons. State law mandates that transactions like this have to be noted and so it was.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Intermediate

I assume it would have to have been bought back under the Lemon Law for Carfax to be able to put that on the report. If the mfg bought it back under the Lemon Law then yes, I would steer clear of it. It does not seem that this was just a mfg buy back (different than being bought back under the Lemon Law and being denoted as a "Lemon"). If the term "Lemon" is on any official documentation for this vehicle then I agree you should pass it up.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:05 PM
6th Gear

It probably is a Water Car - Damaged in one of the floods. I wouldn't buy it no matter what they asked. I would however lease it - as the payments must be real low and I can get rid of it in 3 yrs. My 2 cents
Old 11-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They wouldn't do a mfgr buyback on a water damaged car. That would be an insurance total loss car.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:01 AM
6th Gear

20/20 and other news orgs has done reports on these. They are not insureance write offs. The cars belong to the dealers, insurance nor fima will pay for them so they discount them heavey to get rid of them.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, but how would it be a mfgr buyback? If it shows up on a carfax report as a lemon or buyback then it couldn't have been water damage. The ONLY way a buyback will occur by the mfgr is if it was originally in the hands of a consumer - and they are not stupid enough to take back a water damaged car. Now, what is a possibility - is that a car that was sitting on the lot had water damage and may have been sold to a consumer after that - but don't dealers have insurance for all the cars on their lots? So it wouldn't be an insurance write-off? That seems to be the most logical to me if it was a water damaged car being sold by a dealer - but then again, the world isn't always a logical place.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

In November, I purchased an 05 RL that was a manufacturer buyback. The car started it's life in NJ, (Oct 04) and apparently had the common problems I have read about here. The car ultimately was brought to headquarters in Torrence CA, and all the necessaryTSB were completed -- may I add correctly-- brakes/key fob/XM /speakers.
The car was auctioned in late Oct (7900 miles) and bought by an independant dealer in AZ that specializes on Honda and Acura auctions--they sell all cars on Ebay.
Mine came with a "certificate of conformity" from American Honda. Had no "lemon or mfg buyback" notations on Carfax report. My AZ title is clear. I have taken it to my local dealer for oil change and "checkup", and it has full remaining factory warranty.
I thought this post may help others who may consider a mfg buyback in the future.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Advanced

RL Lease from Acura

Originally Posted by bwarren2
Thanks for everyone's fedback. I am going to pass on this RL. I trade cars too often and in the end the resale value would get dinged to much along the way. I have found a Celestial Siver/Taupe Demo for $2K more and will likely get that one. Im in the Southeast and the absolute lowest I can find is $39.5 for this car, a demo w 5K miles (owners car suppsoedly :-). Other delaers have told me to go buy that one becasue they can't come close on thier Demo's either. You guys think that's a good deal? I can always buy off eBay but if you dig in to the story's on sevral of those, they are also Manufacturer Buybacks. It's apparently more common than we would think.
If you trade cars often you may want to go for the $599.00 month (plus taxes, etc.) promotional lease program. They intoduced this to unload 2005's at year end and then extended it for 2006. You get a 2006 model that (hopefully) has non of the early glitches mentioned here and is fully covered under warranty. Check the RL tab of the website and go to Current Offers.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do not walk from this deal....RUN
Old 01-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by bwarren2
I have been loooking at a number of 05 RL's in my area to get the best deal on a Silver or White RL. I came across a good used deal and spoke with the dealer (Not an Acura Dealer) and he disclosed this particular unit is a "Manufacturer Buyback" and provided me with the documentation associated with it. I was also told I could contact ACURA or any delaer to verify the work done on the car to repair it. The problem according to the paperwork I was given said the issues were a Dead Battery and Door Locks Cycling, both problems have been fixed now. I called my local dealer and gave them the VIN # and they confirmed 5 things had been replaced:

XM Unit, Speaker, Locks, Battery and Controle Module

I will also call the original dealer tomorrow and see what story I can come up with there and maybe get the original owners name. BTW the VIN # is early C0013XX. The Acura Svgc Mgr said he wouldn't be scared to purchase the car. I have also noticed a # of other "Manufacturer Buybacks" from AUDI and others show up on eBay, this seems to be fairly common now.

My question is, would I be a complete idiot to think about buying a car that has had known problems?

or

Would I be taking advantage of a good opportunity with an early RL that has had all the known issues repaired now? This woud certainly save some $$$ but is it truly worth it?

It seems feasible since this VIN # is early it experienced all the tech issues but they have been resolved. None of the problems seems to be significant. I'm not sure about the Control Module, I assume that's the ECM. I don't see an issue with replacing that, it seems most of the issues on the RL have been software and computer related. Again, I could be worng and a new ECM is a big deal. It wasn't in my A4 however as I upgraded teh ECM to increase HP.

Please reply and let me know if I should run away or continue exploring this oppty. Thx for your help, let me know if I missed anything. By the way the car has 4400 miles on it.
I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole. It is a disaster stress whirlpool waiting to happen. It would be better for you if your budget would not allow you to buy an RL right now to buy one of the new TL's as they are flawless in their price range. OR save a little more and get a 2007 RL, by that time the RL will be so technologically advanced that it will probably take over the universe or at least the world (much like the Borg or the Terminator computers.)
Old 01-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Just because its a manufacturer's buyback doesnt mean its a lemon. My sister had an Audi A6 and they sent her a letter asking if they could buy it back and give her a good deal on a new one. We never figured out why, but we figured out that it was probably because they changed the fascia on all the new audi's and didnt want the old ones on the road. So I guess that doesnt apply to the RL, but thats just one example of an issue of when it doesn't have to be a lemon
Old 01-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
Just because its a manufacturer's buyback doesnt mean its a lemon. My sister had an Audi A6 and they sent her a letter asking if they could buy it back and give her a good deal on a new one. We never figured out why, but we figured out that it was probably because they changed the fascia on all the new audi's and didnt want the old ones on the road. So I guess that doesnt apply to the RL, but thats just one example of an issue of when it doesn't have to be a lemon
No, this happens because the dealer wants its prior customers to trade in and in the process make money both on your old car and new car.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Racer

hmm that's funny.. about my manufacturer buyback

Manufacturer Buyback is a synonym for a Lemon. When I fought to have my 01 cl replaced, because I had like 4 trannies, I filed a lemon law claim with bbb.org and when I won the case I was given a manufacturer buyback. Acura (American Honda) bought my car back from me. They eventually figured out how to fix the tranny problem, but as someone said earlier, I was one of the squeaky wheels that hit it first, so I was pissed when they couldn't fix it. At that time there was no TSB. After my case they started offering an extended 100k warranty on the tranny.