pcv valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pcv valve

Anyone replaced their pcv valve? Any recommendations as to when to do it, and where to get the part from?

Thanks. (Spring is in the air, or in my mind!)_

Acurod
Old 03-04-2011, 11:27 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Of course i have! Not sure about others if you dont it can lead to problems later. Every 3rd oil change and I only get it from the dealer. Do not try to get another and be-careful not to drop the washer insert. Changing it can make a big difference to the engine.
When i asked the dealer the first time for the part he said what for no body orders it as i laugh and pay! It takes all of 5min to change. Those regular maintenance things are most important if you want MAX km's.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
DO you have any pointers on where the PCV valve is located under the hood?
Diagram or picture will be helpful.

Thank you!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
goto the 2nd Gen RL Garage, Acura RL Service Manual Courtesy Mark1980 link, and download the PCV SYSTEM.pdf.

you can get it from www.acuraoemparts.com
Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 AM
rtr
RL owner

Front passenger side corner of the valve cover. You take off the plastic cover and there is 1 10mm bolt that holds it in. Hope that helps
The following users liked this post:
jstan1959 (09-23-2013)
Old 03-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Just did mine, super easy!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
what different does..

it make? if any for today engines??
Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
As far as I know, mine has never been changed since new. Ok, tell me what will I notice as a difference if I change it out? At least it is not like a 1st gen. RL where you have to remove half the engine to get to it.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
rtr
RL owner

It frees up vacume air flow inside the motor. As you accel presure builds up and and that iS what the PCV does. An easy 5hp and better gas milage and the best of all! Prevents the car from burning oil!!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
could anyone provide a part #, if it is cheap and easy might as well do it
Old 03-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rtr
Of course i have! Not sure about others if you dont it can lead to problems later. Every 3rd oil change and I only get it from the dealer. Do not try to get another and be-careful not to drop the washer insert. Changing it can make a big difference to the engine.
When i asked the dealer the first time for the part he said what for no body orders it as i laugh and pay! It takes all of 5min to change. Those regular maintenance things are most important if you want MAX km's.
Originally Posted by rtr
It frees up vacume air flow inside the motor. As you accel presure builds up and and that iS what the PCV does. An easy 5hp and better gas milage and the best of all! Prevents the car from burning oil!!
You sir are wasting you time and money by changing it every 3rd oil change. Positive Crankcase Ventilation, its used to take all the fuel vapors that escape to crankcase during combustion process, back into the intake manifold. That is all it does. By changing it every 3rd oil change you are not doing any good to the engine and definitely nothing wrong with that either. Its just wasting your $$.

You only need to change it when the hose is broken, torn and its escaping all the vapors into atmosphere.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
rtr
RL owner

This is the 2g area!! But any way it gets worn out because of engine temps and or gets lazy and doesn't seal right. But im not forcing people to change it anyway im giving very helpful advice only to owners of the 2nd gen RL. Your comments are rude and make no sense anyway lol
Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rtr
This is the 2g area!! But any way it gets worn out because of engine temps and or gets lazy and doesn't seal right. But im not forcing people to change it anyway im giving very helpful advice only to owners of the 2nd gen RL. Your comments are rude and make no sense anyway lol
LOL! Thanks! I wasn't aware that I can't go to RL side of the forum if I don't own one. How am I rude? What part of my post is rude and what does not make sense to you? OK, I'll say it, its just plain stupid to replace a PCV valve every 3rd oil change. Just a waste of time and your hard earned dollars.
stevieray (01-28-2016)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
He's just upset you made him realize his is wasting money and throwing away good parts...
RP90 (05-16-2024)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
He's just upset you made him realize his is wasting money and throwing away good parts...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 AM
rtr
RL owner

You must be 16 years old ! Go back to school looser lol
If YOU can't afford to take care of your cars then to bad for you...
I won't stop helping people with there cars that's what the fourm is for!

Last edited by rtr; 03-07-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Gone for a few days and I come back to this :gheyfight:
Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oo7spy

Originally Posted by rtr
You must be 16 years old ! Go back to school looser lol
If YOU can't afford to take care of your cars then to bad for you...
I won't stop helping people with there cars that's what the fourm is for!
Nice comeback. I applaud you for that. I can afford to take care of my cars very well, I just don't see myself wasting my time and money on a part that is perfectly good. Guess who is the loser now.. (BTW thats how you spell it...)

I am in and around the cars all the time, so I know my way around things. Thanks for playing.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tnobori1
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tnobori1
Couldn't control my impulses.. now my keyboard is covered in cereal..
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey guys, each one of us has to decide how much to replace parts BEFORE they fail. Some are more proactive than others. Changing every 3rd oil change MAY be too much but I have read horror stories recently about what a malfunctioning PCV valve can do to an engine. I am planning this spring on checking the function of the PCV valve just to make sure it is OK. (I have 112K miles on my 06 RL) According to the service manual you can check it by idling the engine and pinching the hose leading to the valve. If it clicks when you pinch and release it, it is ok. If not it is stuck and it should be replaced. Also I've heard that they tend to get sluggish because oily vapors are passing through the valve. So preemptive replacement might be a good idea. However I do not know of a recommended interval. Maybe check it every other year and replace it every 100K? What do you think? I think we could also watch the oil fill area for sludge. If that was happening it might be due to a PCV valve problem. Also, I think if the valve malfunctions a code will be shown (DTC P2279) This is an indicator of an intake are system leak but may also be shown if the PCV valve malfunctions. Can anyone confirm this? If that is the case we could wait for the code to come up before replacing. But I would recommend that it be replaced promptly after the code is shown. Let me know what you think of this approach. Thanks.
Jamie Hutchison (02-08-2020)
Old 01-27-2016, 12:40 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dapqam
Hey guys, each one of us has to decide how much to replace parts BEFORE they fail. Some are more proactive than others. Changing every 3rd oil change MAY be too much but I have read horror stories recently about what a malfunctioning PCV valve can do to an engine. I am planning this spring on checking the function of the PCV valve just to make sure it is OK. (I have 112K miles on my 06 RL) According to the service manual you can check it by idling the engine and pinching the hose leading to the valve. If it clicks when you pinch and release it, it is ok. If not it is stuck and it should be replaced. Also I've heard that they tend to get sluggish because oily vapors are passing through the valve. So preemptive replacement might be a good idea. However I do not know of a recommended interval. Maybe check it every other year and replace it every 100K? What do you think? I think we could also watch the oil fill area for sludge. If that was happening it might be due to a PCV valve problem. Also, I think if the valve malfunctions a code will be shown (DTC P2279) This is an indicator of an intake are system leak but may also be shown if the PCV valve malfunctions. Can anyone confirm this? If that is the case we could wait for the code to come up before replacing. But I would recommend that it be replaced promptly after the code is shown. Let me know what you think of this approach. Thanks.
Need some advice on 2006 RL PCV. The valve shattered into pieces attempting to remove. Using mirror and tweezers (this sucked) I got all but the small end out. Where do I go from here?
Old 01-28-2016, 12:34 PM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Wasting your money if you replace your PCV every 10-15K miles. tmnhs81 is correct, replace the part when it fails or becomes clogged. Probably every TB/WP change would be appropriate.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 PM
7th Gear

PCV valve was clogged completely. Used shop vac to clean out as much as I could opening and closing the oil fill cap suction. Pulled the hose to the intake and used compressed air to blow pieces out. Using a long deck screw and paper clip I stopped the PCV end from turning and screwed the deck screw in as tight as I could, (did I say light, mirror, tools, and two hands). With a pry bar on the deck screw and compressed air on the other I got it out. It took a surprising amount of pull. All together and running down the road.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 AM
7th Gear

There was no code indicated.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What way does the collar go on the pcv valve?
When I pulled mine out it fell to the ground before I could see orientation of it.

Does the shoulder of the bolt collar go in-between the valve cover and pcv valve, so the should makes a small spacer?

That is how it was on the parts page at the acura dealer I ordered it from so that is the way I put it in but over the years I have seen stuff in the parts diagrams wrong more than I care to remember.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:02 PM
7th Gear

Funny you should ask. When the PCV valve is installed there is a space between the extended shoulder of the PCV valve and the valve cover, through which the mounting bolt passes. The coller/spacer/fat washer keeps the PCV valve from cracking when tightening this bolt. If this isn't what you were talking about let me know.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carwars
Funny you should ask. When the PCV valve is installed there is a space between the extended shoulder of the PCV valve and the valve cover, through which the mounting bolt passes. The coller/spacer/fat washer keeps the PCV valve from cracking when tightening this bolt. If this isn't what you were talking about let me know.
carwars - Thanks that was exactly it and the way I put it in and tightened it down. Just got back from running errands and all good. They are crazy not to have this in their 100k maintenance at a minimum. Mine felt pretty solid, clunky, in the valve movement shaking it compared to the new one. Here are some install pictures if anyone else ever has the same question.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mg7726
goto the 2nd Gen RL Garage, Acura RL Service Manual Courtesy Mark1980 link, and download the PCV SYSTEM.pdf.

you can get it from Acura Parts | Genuine Acura OEM Parts | Acura Parts Cheap
Does that link even still work? I get errors every time I click on it. If it still works what am I doing wrong?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
I decided to change mine today. I figured it has probably never been changed and it has close to 140,000 miles on it. I was going to just remove and clean it but it broke when I was removing it. The plastic had become very brittle. Anyway it is a very easy part to replace and not expensive. The part number is 17130-RCA-A02. It cost @$18 online.

One thing to remember is you have to reuse the "Collar" from the old valve. It is easy to drop and lose when removing the valve so be aware. Besides that it is a five minute job. My old PCV valve didn't look clogged but since I broke it when removing it I had to replace it. I would have replaced it anyway because why not with 140k miles and it only costing $18.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
no need to waste money.. cars are not built like the 1970 no more. my RL 2005 has 276.000miles never had replaced PCV or problem since new 2005. so I do not waste money. as I see it, cause more problems replacing it for folks then leaving it. my 2 cents.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:02 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
I replaced the PCV valve with a Standard Motor PCV from Rockauto and it is apparently the same part as OEM for about $18. What I thought would be a 5 minute job became a full hour and some panic! Although, I anticipated the old pcv valve would be brittle and hardened with 132k miles, I still was unable to stop it from breaking apart as I tried to remove it. About half of the pcv came out and the other half broke off and remained inside.

Panic ensued and I was thinking why did I even bother changing this when the car ran just fine...I was able to use a flat head and other tools to break the remaining pcv valve stuck inside to smaller piece and slowly pull it out with some tools and a shop vac. The old pcv was definitely clogged...now with the new pcv, it is responsive. not faster or anything but i do feel that when i step on the gas it goes right away as if it can now breathe.

here is where the pcv goes into..that i had to break the old pcv into pieces so i could pull it out. not for the faint of heart.
projektvertx (07-25-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 01:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
I replaced the PCV valve with a Standard Motor PCV from Rockauto and it is apparently the same part as OEM for about $18. What I thought would be a 5 minute job became a full hour and some panic! Although, I anticipated the old pcv valve would be brittle and hardened with 132k miles, I still was unable to stop it from breaking apart as I tried to remove it. About half of the pcv came out and the other half broke off and remained inside.

Panic ensued and I was thinking why did I even bother changing this when the car ran just fine...I was able to use a flat head and other tools to break the remaining pcv valve stuck inside to smaller piece and slowly pull it out with some tools and a shop vac. The old pcv was definitely clogged...now with the new pcv, it is responsive. not faster or anything but i do feel that when i step on the gas it goes right away as if it can now breathe.

here is where the pcv goes into..that i had to break the old pcv into pieces so i could pull it out. not for the faint of heart.
The exact same thing happened to me and my thoughts were the same. Why did I even bother. I just stuck the old broken part back in and called it a day. I was worried that I might push broken bits further in. I suppose I should to and it out again.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin

Lmao the same thing happen to me except I have to remove the entire front valve cover :Tomato:

Notice it not the oil stain, I use Mobil 1 for all the car and create color as "amber" like after the first thousand miles.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:20 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
^ wow Truong..that is insane you had to do that...but at least you know your engine is in good condition!
Old 09-01-2021, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
So i replaced my pcv valve today and was never been replaced since car was new. Car has 200k miles. Damn pcv valve broke to 3 pieces but got it out. After replacing it, i notice engine is more smoother, fast accelaration and when u turn ur steering wheel left and right at park, rpm doesnt increase.
Gimpies-Daddy (09-06-2021)