Paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 02:16 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint

I have noticed quite a few small paint chips on my front hood after 4 weeks ( 1000 miles) of driving on freeway 5, (San Diego). Its funny that I had heard Mercedes S class owners complain that the newer paint systems (2002 and later) are not as good as the earlier models (1990's). I wonder if same is now true for ACURA RL's?? I have two : an 05 and a 98 RL but had not noticed any problems on the 98 model. Are the newer paint systems not as good as before?
Old 12-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aziz
I have noticed quite a few small paint chips on my front hood after 4 weeks ( 1000 miles) of driving on freeway 5, (San Diego). Its funny that I had heard Mercedes S class owners complain that the newer paint systems (2002 and later) are not as good as the earlier models (1990's). I wonder if same is now true for ACURA RL's?? I have two : an 05 and a 98 RL but had not noticed any problems on the 98 model. Are the newer paint systems not as good as before?
I haven't seen any paint chips on my RL yet, but I can tell you that I had to have an X-pel clear bra installed on my '03 SC430 because the paint chipped so badly. (If you're interested, there's a whole discussion on ClubLexus in the SC430 forum about chipping/paint quality.) I've also read lots of complaints from G35 Coupe owners. If you think about it, the one thing these cars (and the S class) have in common is a long, sloping hood. My theory is the design makes it a lot easier for rocks to hit the hood.

In any case, my advice is to either 1) avoid trucks like the plague or 2) have a clear bra installed.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

clear bra

Does the dealer install them or do I have to goto a third party? And how much are they usually?
Old 12-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rllakeshore
Does the dealer install them or do I have to goto a third party? And how much are they usually?
When I had my SC430 I contacted the Lexus dealer and asked if they had a contact. They put me in touch with a guy who met me at the dealership and did the installation there. The cost was approx. $500 for 3M film that covered the entire painted front area and went halfway up the hood.

I haven't checked it out for the RL, but my recommendation is to do a search on the net for X-pel. You may be able to find a distributor in your area. The film is pretty invisible, especially on silver cars, but you can see a line from certain angles. Also do a search in ClubLexus (SC430 forums) or Freshalloy (G35 forums) under "clear bra". There are pics.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I slow down for COPS

Go with 3m Clear bra

go with a clear bra.

You can contact your dealer or go to www.ultrashieldusa.com to find out more information and an installer in you area.

Good luck staying chip free. Mark
Old 01-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I slow down for COPS

see some pics

you can also see pics at www.ultrashielofstl.com under "See Us in Action"
Old 01-06-2005, 11:32 AM
has been here awhile

I think we've used StonGard on many of our vehicles. The other products out there seem to be on par, however. I don't think you can go wrong with a clearbra. It would be nice if the Acura dealers would start putting them on every vehicle they sell (I know Lexus of Portland--Oregon--does this).

Does Acura still use the 4-bake process they used on the previous gen RL? It holds up VERY well. I know it used to be an advertising point for the RL.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Advanced

I got my RL covered with Xpel clear bra, the hood, bumper, side rear view mirrors, and door edges. You can find delaers on http://www.xpel.com/ . For NYC trisate area let me know if you need recommendation for a quality installer.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuRL
I got my RL covered with Xpel clear bra, the hood, bumper, side rear view mirrors, and door edges. You can find delaers on http://www.xpel.com/ . For NYC trisate area let me know if you need recommendation for a quality installer.
I'd be inerested in your NYC tristate experience. And what -- roughly -- does it cost?
Thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mungoac
I'd be inerested in your NYC tristate experience. And what -- roughly -- does it cost?
Thanks
I got everything which is mentioned on this Xpel page plus the door sill. -> Xpel 2005 Acura RL film

Prices were same as shown on the Xpel page plus labor which depends on how much time they spend. They gave the warranty for their work. Will redo for free if any bubbles or other deformations appear. Xpel uses the 3M film. I had thought about doing myself but its tough work and you can easily mess up the film which means will have to buy another, plus no replacement warranty. In my other car I negelected to put the film and it has several chips on the front bumper and hood...so certainly recommend doing it.
The new RL has a special paint process with 2 clear coats and is softer and more susceptible to chips.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I slow down for COPS

you cannot go wrong with a clear bra, stay with 3m and a good installer
Old 01-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Racer

Becareful with www.ultrashieldusa.com. I had a really bad experience with one of their installers. I called Ultrashield and as yet to get a reply from the owner. Email me if you are thinking of having using this company's installer in the NE region.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Racer

Update on my clear 3M film install

Thanks for assistance of mark 3m bra man, I was able to contact the owner of Ultrashield USA (headquarter). The owner wanted to contact me but had a wrong phone number for me.

It is apparently an instance that Ultrashield had no control over, and the owner assured me that he would assist me with obtaining compensation from Ultrashield of NE.

I just noticed on Ultrashield's website that the owner is a captain. I assume that he is an ex-military. From my experience dealing with ex-military people, they are very honorable people and treat people fairly.

The clear bra is a very nice protection for the car, and it is one of the few modifications that I believe truely is worth spending money on. My experience this time has been so discouraging, but now I have a ray of hope that there are good people out there to provide the car owners of this valuable service.

I will report back to the forum as to the outcome of this.