Owner Opinions Needed by Autoweek

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Owner Opinions Needed by Autoweek

Owners, please respond to Autoweeks request for the RL Autofile article.

Hey guys,

I'm Jon Wong from Autoweek magazine. An avid Honda/Acura enthusiast btw. In an upcoming issue we are doing an autofile artile on the new 2005 Acura RL. However, we need a little owner feedback on the car.
So 2005 Acura RL owners please send your name, good/bad comments on the car and what you paid for the car before taxes to autofile@crain.com
The numbers you provide will give us the average price for what people have paid for the car and your comments might even be used in the owners voices section. We are hurting on response on this one, so it would be greatly appreciated if we could hear from you.

Thanks!
Jon Wong "99 Prelude Type SH"
awint@crain.com
Old 01-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Hey Jon, you guys at Autoweek need any freelance writers?
Old 01-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon,

I am curious about your statement that you are "hurting on response" 'cos i know that most on the RL forums are VERY vocal with their opinions. Who and how did you target to get a response?

Thanks

Pete
Old 01-25-2005, 08:14 AM
office monkey

I am curious about your statement that you are "hurting on response" 'cos i know that most on the RL forums are VERY vocal with their opinions.

Jon posted that at the temple of vtec forum.

He probably gave up trying to sift through the threads with the criticisms from those who havent even sat in the car yet feel they have enough info to form an opinion on the car and try and argue with owners on various forums
Old 01-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeffS
Owners, please respond to Autoweeks request for the RL Autofile article.

Hey guys,

I'm Jon Wong from Autoweek magazine. An avid Honda/Acura enthusiast btw. In an upcoming issue we are doing an autofile artile on the new 2005 Acura RL. However, we need a little owner feedback on the car.
So 2005 Acura RL owners please send your name, good/bad comments on the car and what you paid for the car before taxes to autofile@crain.com
The numbers you provide will give us the average price for what people have paid for the car and your comments might even be used in the owners voices section. We are hurting on response on this one, so it would be greatly appreciated if we could hear from you.

Thanks!
Jon Wong "99 Prelude Type SH"
awint@crain.com
I just clicked on the URL and all it gives me is an e-mail address. I was expecting some kind of survey. Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable just clicking on an address that says "autofile@crain" and giving my name, comments and what I paid for a car. If you really needed input, maybe you should have put together a survey instead of just asking owners to send a free-form response to an obscure e-mail address. That may be one of the reasons you haven't heard back.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dseag2
I just clicked on the URL and all it gives me is an e-mail address. I was expecting some kind of survey. Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable just clicking on an address that says "autofile@crain" and giving my name, comments and what I paid for a car. If you really needed input, maybe you should have put together a survey instead of just asking owners to send a free-form response to an obscure e-mail address. That may be one of the reasons you haven't heard back.
I don't know about "obscure". Crain Communications owns Autoweek and at least a dozen other publications. "crain.com" is the domain name for all of the writers/editors in Autoweek.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago
I don't know about "obscure". Crain Communications owns Autoweek and at least a dozen other publications. "crain.com" is the domain name for all of the writers/editors in Autoweek.
Yup. I know another guy at Autoweek and they all have the @crain.com domain indicator in their emails. It's safe. You'd get the same thing if you went to their website.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Done!
Old 01-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob L
Thanks Rob, I guess I should have been more clear that it was Autoweek looking for the info instead of me.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L

He probably gave up trying to sift through the threads with the criticisms from those who havent even sat in the car yet feel they have enough info to form an opinion on the car and try and argue with owners on various forums
I completely agree with you on this one RobL, I have avoided even responding to those who think they know the car, but have obviously only read about it. Kinda reminds me of the posters on my old Cobra forum who would "talk" a great 1/4 mile, but had never visited the track

Pete
Old 01-26-2005, 08:48 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by petemc
I completely agree with you on this one RobL, I have avoided even responding to those who think they know the car, but have obviously only read about it. Kinda reminds me of the posters on my old Cobra forum who would "talk" a great 1/4 mile, but had never visited the track

Pete
The best si these people will use magazine reviews as the basis of their opinion yet they go totally against the mag reviews and jsut go by the 0-60 and 14 mile times. It is funny to me. The best are the people who quote the C&D review yet gloss over the fact they slapped the RL on the 10 Best list. Like wtf...

I am sure their new ammo will be this MT comparison where the RL came in 2nd yet based on what jrock posted in another read it seemd the RL was a very clsoe second and some at MT liked it the best.

Amazing how people pick and choose what info they wish to support when they form an opinion out of well, ignorance.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 AM
office monkey

edit:

I read it wrong...it seems the RL was 2nd but only barely over the 530i in their comparo.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago
Thanks for clarifying. Sorry to say, but I don't read Autoweek or any of the other Crain publications, so I didn't know. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but with all the internet scams going on these days I'm a bit hesitant to give out anything that could be considered personal information.

I'll go to the website and add some comments. (BTW, I still think a structured survey with yes/no questions and space for comments would get people to respond quicker than just asking them for their thoughts.)

Thanks again for filling me in.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dseag2
Thanks for clarifying. Sorry to say, but I don't read Autoweek or any of the other Crain publications, so I didn't know. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but with all the internet scams going on these days I'm a bit hesitant to give out anything that could be considered personal information.

I'll go to the website and add some comments. (BTW, I still think a structured survey with yes/no questions and space for comments would get people to respond quicker than just asking them for their thoughts.)

Thanks again for filling me in.
Glad I could help. Understand it's not a website that was supplied, just an email address. You can just cut & paste the address into the "TO:" field of your favorite email client or . . . for more protection if desired - your favorite free webmail client used to avoid spam. Just clicking thru the link will fire up whatever email client your browser has associated by default to use for mail.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Autoweek review includes some feedback from the owners. Anyone here?

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101697
Old 02-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Racer

I was wondering why they were talking of the 0-60 times for 745i (6.3s) and S420 (7.0s)....then I read at the end that they tested the RL at 7.2 0-60?????

Pete
Old 02-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
OTHERS CONSIDERED
Audi A8 L
BMW 745i
Mercedes-Benz S430
What I don't get is why Autoweek is pitting the RL against the V8 flagship sedans from other makers? It can be argued that the RL is Acura's flagship, but regardless it's not playing in this category of cars and shouldn't be compared to them, IMO.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:03 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by phile
What I don't get is why Autoweek is pitting the RL against the V8 flagship sedans from other makers? It can be argued that the RL is Acura's flagship, but regardless it's not playing in this category of cars and shouldn't be compared to them, IMO.
Nah....dont you know you compare flagships regardless of price? Compare Kia's flagship to bentley's flagship. Makes perfect sense to me!

All sarcasm aside, I can only think they did it as a compliment to the RL to show it compares quite well vs those high priced flagships. I do know the RL is very close to the LS430 with ultra luxury package.