Old-School 5

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Old-School 5

I was parked next to a previous-generation (pre-Bangle) BMW 528 and got a chance to compare it to my RL. Some might argue that the old-school 5 looks plain compared to the new model. However, I think the old one has aged very well, and will age better than the newer ones. Why? Because the older 5 was understated and simple. Then I looked at my RL. The new RL has similar B and C pillars and the chrome window surrounds look very similar. I think that, like the old-school 5, the new RL will age well, better than the current TL.

Any comments?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The current RL looks like a bulging, muscular version of the 2G TL, which I also owned and liked. In fact, the RL was initially meant to be the 3G TL until Acura got involved and wanted to design its own vehicle. The result is the fantastically successful 3G TL, an athletic, good-looking car that I was proud to own and mod for three years.

The RL's design is less radical, though, and will therefore age better than the 3G TL. I also prefer the previous generation 5 series to Bangle's mangling of it--it looks as nasty as the current gen Accord, which is still fugly in its last model year.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I bought my RL in October '06, I was considering either the '07 G35 or the RL. I was going to wait for the G35 to come-out before making my decision but went with the RL anyway.

I finally saw the new "G" last week and it happened to be parked right next to me. I must say I'm glad I went with the RL. The "G" is a nice car and it looked great in pictures but seeing it next to my RL made me feel much better about my decision. I would have ultimately made the right decision anyway, but I got to start enjoying my RL a little earlier. The cost would have been about the same once I "equipped" the "G" to the options of the standard RL.

(I know this is off-topic...BMW....but when you said it was parked next to you, it reminded me of this.)
Old 01-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I think that Hondas (and Acuras) generally age pretty well. For all the disappointment of most Honda designs when they come out, they stand the test of time better than their competitors.

I think this is because Honda is somewhat conservative in their design philosophy. Even though Japanese cars are very trend-oriented, with a 4-5 year model cycle, Honda has always managed to have a more unique/subtle take on the "trend" that simply wears well.

One of the things that makes the previous 5 series so effective is that it built successfully on its heritage. The Bangle-5 may as well be a different car line.

Similarly, this generation RL is a radical departure from the previous Legend/RL line, which is somewhat rare for Honda. I think it has the elements of a car that will age at least as well as the M35 and Mercedes E-Class, better than the Lexus GS and BMW 5, and probably not quite as well as the Audi A6.

I agree that the current RL will age better than the current TL, due to its less radical design. In some ways, the less trendy or "out there" a car is (particularly a sedan), the better it ages (with some exceptions, because there always are).

Rob144
Old 01-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The current RL looks like a bulging, muscular version of the 2G TL, which I also owned and liked. In fact, the RL was initially meant to be the 3G TL until Acura got involved and wanted to design its own vehicle. The result is the fantastically successful 3G TL, an athletic, good-looking car that I was proud to own and mod for three years.

The RL's design is less radical, though, and will therefore age better than the 3G TL. I also prefer the previous generation 5 series to Bangle's mangling of it--it looks as nasty as the current gen Accord, which is still fugly in its last model year.
That was funny! Great way to start a morning!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:02 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The e39 is a beautiful car especially like the 540iT!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I think the new 5 is probably one of the worst designs BMW has ever done. THey toned down the "look" for the 3 series and they got it right. The RL is understated elegance that will age very well. The TL although more "aggressive" is still understated, I think it will age gracefully too!