Oil Extractor

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Oil Extractor

So this is my Situation:

I'm in Toronto with my RL (it hibernates out here while I'm usually in Western Canada), 80% of my tools are out West. The whole time I've been out here I've been struggling to get access to a jack or a hoist and place to turn some wrenches. Finally was able to borrow a 2-ton jack yesterday, although it had no handle to raise the car I was able to fashion one.
Again not having any place to really do what I wanted, I quickly tried to change the oil and tranny fluid. I was able to change the oil without making a mess. Then while attempting to start the first of the 3 x 3 drains on the tranny it began to rain. At this point I wasn't even able to get the 3/8 head into the drain plug because it had been swollen from rust. Went back home for a hammer, then back to find another drier spot to again attempt to do the 3 x 3. Half removed the plastic cover enough to fit a drain pan in a position to catch the fluid. Hammered in an extension then busted my knuckles getting the plug loose. Removed the plug and got the pan in place without spilling any fluid. However when it had drained to a trickle I attempted to clean the plug magnet with one hand and hold the pan with the other and of course I tipped the pan spilling some fluid. Needless to say, I only completed 1 of the 3, will go back again this weekend when it's hopefully drier, however it'll be colder, based on forecasts.

So forgive me but after all of that my actual questions are:

1) Has anyone used a fluid extractor (like MityVac or the electric ones), to drain/ pull fluid through the tranny dipstick?
If so how much was able to be pulled out?
I would try, but as mentioned before the vast majority of my stuff is out west, including my MityVac.

2) I know there must be people that go to those drive through oil change places like Mr. Lube. How do they change the oil filter without raising the car?
One time, I changed my oil, again having to borrow a different jack and I didn't use jack stands (silly me). After I had let the oil drain out, I noticed the working room underneath had shrunk a bit. After I wriggled out, I realized the jack was slowly leaking and lowering itself back down. Anyways, before I had jacked the car back up I tried to take the oil filter out and wasn't able to get it out until after I raised the car back up. How do those places do it?
Old 03-20-2020, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
Mityvac is a perfect application to drain trans fluid. I’ve done it. I’d still try to find a way to remove the drain plug to clean off the magnet but you’ll be find sucking out the fluid out of the dipstick tube
Old 03-20-2020, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if I bring this car out west after all this craziness I'll definitely give it a try. Sadly I was in the highway today and there was some grinding/clicking taking place after an half an hour of normal driving. So I had to call a tow truck to pick it up from where I stopped. Sounded very similar to how my X-type sounded when the transfer case went. I certainly hope it isn't that. With the current situation taking place I can't afford any large expenses right now.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:57 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,409 Posts
@Trugr8ns, I've been using a Pela 650 oil extractor for 21 years and I love it; best investment I've ever made for car maintenance. Engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, you name it, my 650 has vacuumed it out. Some folks fuss about the possibility of the extractor not getting all of the dirt and other detritus from the oil sump, and to them I say, "The first few times I used it on one of my cars which had conventional oil changes performed prior to buying it, when I poured out the oil, a significant amount of metal and other debris flowed out as well. After a time, the amount of crud being removed dropped to nil."

Here is the device I use:Amazon is currently selling this unit for about $125; given how much easier oil changes are now, I think it is a bargain at twice the price.