Not too shabby...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
At least the grill and hood line match.
Same thing with the new TSX (and I assume the new TL). It really doesn't look bad on the TSX. I've concluded it's not the style as much as the implementation of it on the RL.

Clearly, this grill was stuck on here to minimize changes. They wanted to get the hood up more to reduce that diving front end. However, they didn't want to spend the extra money redesigning the body structure behind the sheetmetal to accomodate moving the headlights higher or making the whole housing larger. It was a cop out.

Although, has anyone ever looked at the IS front end closely? I mean, NOTHING lines up with anything related to the headlights and grill. Even the angles contradict each other. Looks like crap if you ask me, but then again, I never really liked the Lexus styling.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Although, has anyone ever looked at the IS front end closely? I mean, NOTHING lines up with anything related to the headlights and grill. Even the angles contradict each other. Looks like crap if you ask me, but then again, I never really liked the Lexus styling.
If you extend the top lines and the inside lines of the headlights, you can see the alignment of the grille and headlights.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:33 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Everything doesn't have to line up to be aesthetically pleasing ... here's one Lexus where they DO line up nicely, though ...

Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Go Big Blue!

Maybe not for everyone, but I think it does for most. The brain is naturally attracted to symmetry and flowing patterns. That LS looks good to me but the IS looks off balance. It's the same feeling I get when I see that RL grill corner not lining up with the headlight housing corner. ESPECIALLY since they are hard corners and so close to each other. That's the main problem for me, not so much the shield part
Old 03-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know, guys. As a driver currently shopping for a new ride, the nose on the RL does not disturb me in the last. Flame me if you must, but I kind of like it.

The crappy MPG is another story, and I still think that will kill the RL. With gas hitting $4 a gallon for REGULAR out here in California, a vehicle that gets 16/22 is a hard sell. So, for me, the lack of a six or seven speed automatic, and/or other fuel savings technologies, is the greater problem.

Infiniti has a new 7-speed in the upcomming FX and will likey offer a similar tranny in the 2009 G (already announced they are doing it in Europe). The RL will be the lone vehicle in this class to have a 5-speed automatic soon.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Go Big Blue!

The area where the two corners meet looks ridiculous. At least the IS doesn't have corners misalligned. They're just angles. Take the headlight package and move it up to align with the top of the grill and suddenly the frontend looks acceptable to me (kind of like the TSX)

UGLY

NOT BAD
Old 03-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
still ugly

the photo in the original post is not indicative of how bad the car looks in person. In this pic the grill is softened and airbrushed to almost look the same as the silver paint. In person and in the photos posted from the autoshows the grill is very shiny and does not blend at all. It just does nothing for me. I can't see spending 44k for a car I need to convince myself that I like the way it looks.
I'll wait for the FMC or consider others when the time comes to buy again.