Not An Ashtray

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Not An Ashtray

I don't remember for sure BUT I think I should have a light in there during the dark hours. I noticed last night on the way back from an 800+ mile weekend that the light is not working. Just wanted some backup before next rip to dealer.

BTW, my best mileage was 27.8 mpg (city + hightway) and this was with Valereo Supreme gas. I seem to get my best mileage with Valero gas.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup, it's got a light (or at least is should).

LL
Old 05-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Yep, there is a light. If you pop out the felt lined bin, you will see the hole for the light.

If you are ambitious to check / replace it yourself, see my thread on curing the creak that speaks from this assembly. There is a power lead with the light bulb attached to the Not an Ashtray assembly.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4042
Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
I don't remember for sure BUT I think I should have a light in there during the dark hours. I noticed last night on the way back from an 800+ mile weekend that the light is not working. Just wanted some backup before next rip to dealer.

BTW, my best mileage was 27.8 mpg (city + hightway) and this was with Valereo Supreme gas. I seem to get my best mileage with Valero gas.
That's so funny, but true. It seems that different brands do indeed produce slightly different mileage results with both the MPG and trip range meter. The best results have been with Valero, Chevron, and sometimes Shell. ARCO, BP, and some independents seem to produce worse results. The last time I filled up with Valero, the MID mileage range went over 520+.

I have no idea why Valero's gas seems to give better results. I think more testing is in order.

This should really should not matter, since gas from station to station comes from nearly the -same- refiners and tanks. The only thing that might be different is the additives/detergents that are used for each brand. Each company has their own custom blends: (Chevron Techron, Shell V-Power, ARCO CleanTech, etc.)

In addition to the blends, some states (such as California where I am) use a "reformulated" gas to supposedly burn cleaner. I have found this to decrease overall mileage in my RL by about 2-3 MPG. This is why the gas in Nevada, Arizona, and Oregon definitely gives better performance.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Instructor

The light in mine is broken, as well, so I just use the end of a lit cigarette to see in there in the dark.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:55 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nmariani
The last time I filled up with Valero, the MID mileage range went over 520+.

That would be because of the mileage you got from the LAST tank of gas you used. I mean, the car doesn't analyze the gas you put in it and "predict" your range....

That being said, some formulations of gas are going to give you better results than others. I have better luck with Sunoco around here than most other gas, the car just seems to like it better. The RL's engine management system can take full advantage of higher octane levels, and will attempt to squeeze as much spark advance as possible out of the engine before knock.

But the results you're getting on your MID are from the average MPG you had going at the time you filled your tank... so if you are averaging about 28 MPG you'd wind up with a MID indicator of 520. It's not hard to average 28 MPG in the RL on winter fuel with steady highway driving and properly inflated tires... so long as you don't use the VTEC very much.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by bmerton
The light in mine is broken, as well, so I just use the end of a lit cigarette to see in there in the dark.

Too funny!!