Not ash tray and drink holder lids HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not ash tray and drink holder lids HELP!!!

Hello all.......I tried to get some responses on another thread about this but nobody home........so I will start another thread and see if I can get some help. I just bought an 06 RL and would like to fix the lids of my Not and ash trey and my drink holder.......neither will stay shut. The other thread mentioned the part needed for the ash trey but nothing about how to remove the ash trey or how to repair.......and I havent been able to find anything on the drink holder lid........Can anyone assist me in finding a repair video or a " how to " on this repair please?
The following users liked this post:
rlignacio (09-22-2020)
Old 10-26-2019, 02:12 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Not exactly a how to, but should help...

I couldn't find one for the cupholders, sadly.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Ya thats the problem with buying a unicorn....there are not a lot of you-tube vids on it. Thank you for the vid...it did in fact help with filling in most of the blanks. Thats a whole lotta trim pullin for one " not an ashtray " lid. I assume once it is out I would see the mechanism that would need to be replaced for the lid to work. My wife was sitting near by listening to the vid I was watching......she said how about a thin magnet? I said.....huh.....not a bad idea So I will try a thin magnet first.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 03:59 PM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I have a couple of black cup holders for sale one is $25 and the other (which is in better condition)is $35. If you're interested, hit me up here or at stevieraydunn@comcast.net.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Advanced

Thanks Stevie....I am going to try tiny magnets first to see if they do the trick before tearing the console apart.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:01 PM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

It's not hard to pull the console apart. All of the garnishes and trim just pull right out. Gimme a 10mm socket, a screwdriver and a trim puller tool and I can have the entire console out in 10 minutes.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Ya I understand......I looked at it today. I can get the trim all around it removed then I guess yank the Not an Ash Trey up and out.......but can you tell me where this broken part is and how to remove/ install??? I see no vids anywhere.
Thanks
Old 11-06-2019, 04:06 PM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

The cup holder lid is held in place with a spring on the side and has several tabs for the detents (press on the lid to open, press down again to click back into closed position). You're not going to be able to see what's wrong with either of them until you pull them out. I still have those 2 black cup holders in working condition if yours cant be fixed.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Stevie Ray.....I just looked at your call sign and u have 39 likes out of 44 posts......thats a strong average my friend. Thanks for taking me one step closer to my answers on the Not An Ashtray and the Cup Holders. My situation is the ashtray lid wont stay down and the cup holders work great but the lid also wont stay down. I am not afraid of popping some trim so thats my next move. I always have a drink in my drink holders so I see no need to fix that one...although my OCD tendencies like everything to work as it should. The ashtray that is not actually an ashtray does bother me. I read in another post about the part but still haven't found any info on how to replace the part. So I have no choice but to take your advice and expose the little monster so I can see how it works and how I can get to the broken part. My dealer said its $20 for a 2006 year or $9 for a 2005 year.....for this part to fix my tray that no ashes should go in....however I have two ashtrays in the back seat area that I believe in fact are ashtrays.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Ok I finally figured this out so I will reply to my own thread to help others. So my question was where is this broken part and what do I have to do to fix it??? I was told to remove it and then I would know. So I set out to remove it according to the vid posted above and unfortunately that vid is incorrect .....2 hours later I gave up....thankfully I didnt break anything. I will just explain in bullet point chatter for now but if anyone has any questions just PM me and I will walk u through in great detail. So to remove the " not and ash trey "

Use trim pry tools to pop up shift section of console as the guy does in the above vid.
It is best to chalk your tires and shift your car into a lower gear to give u more room to work.
Pry from all 4 corners...it comes up pretty easy. Once u have it loose just un plug the 2 heated seat connectors thats it... this will give u enough wiggle room to get the job done. You dont have to unplug the cig adapter.
Now here is the difference from the vid above......with a pocket knife pry out velvet insert inside ash trey and remove it.
Now remove 2 screws at back of ash trey
Now close lid and pull ash trey out to remove. NOTE a light is still attached !!!!
Now while loose in your hand look on the right side of the ash trey...look real close.....do u see the part that resembles your repl part?
Now use your thumb or whatever to push that old part out of its frame...then insert new part...boom your done!
Reinstall in opposite order.............

Next I will remove cup holders....and fix that dumb lid.....I will provide info for that here as well. If someone want to give me a heads up on how to remove the cup holder that would be great!
Old 11-26-2019, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Found the cup holder info in a search..........all good...thanks