NJ to Ohio and back again

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ to Ohio and back again

Well, I decided to spend the New Year's weekend visiting relatives in Ohio, just south of Cleveland.

I drove from near Trenton, NJ -- across all of Pennsylvania -- to New Philadelphia, OH on Saturday 12/31, and made the return trip on Sunday 1/1 (earlier today).

Much like jhr3uva90's trip report from DC to NYC and back, here's mine.

One way miles/time: 472miles, 6h42m. (Direct Route according to Nav)

1. I'm used to 20-21 MPG in mixed city/highway driving, and was very surprised and pleased to see 27+ MPG on my highway portions of travel. (Peaked at 27.9 MPG) with est. total range of about 450 miles.

2. I've done quite a bit of driving-for-vacationing in my past, and was expecting to use AM/FM radio and the CD changer. I was really hooked on XM after the first hour, never turning over to AM or FM or the changer. Nice! The comedy channels are great to keep you awake during those slow times

3. Auto headlights seem to come on a little too late and go off a little too early compared to other vehicles on the road. Must take a look at increasing the sensitivity when the RL thinks it's 'dusk' and 'morning'.

4. Seats were really very comfortable. Large and supportive. Lumbar support worked great, I only wish there was a recirc. button on lumbar control to continuously inflate/deflate/inflate/etc. the lumbar 'balloon'. Wish-list feature. Legs and feet not tired when I got to destination!

5. Front headlight wash nozzles would've come in handy with all the road grime I picked up from post-snow road clearing.

6. I kept track of the number of times when ACC would've come in handy (someone much slower jumping into my lane to overtake an even slower vehicle, etc.), basically marking down when I had CC on and hard to hit to brake to slow down due to other drivers around me. NJ -> OH = 5 times, OH -> NJ = 6 times.

7. Nav only goofed once, and this was in Ohio on well-marked roads that seemed to have recently been constructed -- a new onramp allowing direct access to the interstate had been erected, and rather than have me take that, it wanted me to get on the NB side of the interstate to U-turn at the first exit and continue on the SB side. Of course, the system re-routed in about 8 secs. after I got on the SB side to begin with, and all was well.

8. Lots of stares from passing cars!! Most notable from a younger looking couple in an Infiniti M35x. We didn't race or anything, but it was obvious that the female on the passenger's side really liked (preferred?) the RL's styling over the M's.

9. I wish the center armrest was taller and more forward. I didn't fatigue, but would've preferred an easier place to rest my elbow when fiddling with the center stack.

10. Sunroof offers lots of light and lots of noise when opened at highway speeds.

11. Road handling is SUPERB, I could not have asked for such a feeling of confidence and grip out of my older BMW 5-series. Excellent.

12. Cockpit view is nearly unobstructed in all quarters. Felt very confident of my situational assesment when changing lanes, exiting, looking for traffic, etc.

13. Using the Nav to find stores, hotels, gas stations, etc. is terrific.

14. Must get dor handles looked at -- when wet, handles wouldn't always lock -- first time this has shown up.

15. Lastly, plenty of high-end torque to punch from 65/70 into the low-mid 80's to manuever around slow traffic and keep your position.

Had a blast -- what a fun car -- can't wait for the next!

--Neil
Old 01-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
neilah, glad to hear that you had an safe, enjoyable trip!! Regarding the sunroof noise, the thing to consider is that the Automatic Noise Cancellation, which works so well negating exhaust growl, loses much of its effectiveness when the sunroof is open (or windows for that matter). So the noise you hear when the sunroof is open is the normal wind buffetting AND all of the noise that the ANC would normally be cancelling.