New RL owner, Introductions and a few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New RL owner, Introductions and a few ?s

Hello, i'm mr26 and i've just recently bought a slightly used 06 acura rl with the tech pkg. My first impressions of the car are great. I love the way it drives, the way it looks...for me, its the definition of an exclusive car for grown men. I was very close to purchasing an audi a6 (looked at bmw 535, lexus gs) but in the end, i believe i have made a great choice in the car. This car is truely unique around my parts, its great to have something rare.

The car is black on black, had less than 30k on it when i first got it, and (thankfully) because of the recession, i was able to talk the dealer into giving me a hell of deal, haha. Overall, i'm extremely pleased with this car.

There are a few things about the car that are quite confusing to me of which i wasn't quite able to figure out with the manuel so hopefully, i'll be able to get some answers here. I want to apologize in advance if these questions are redundant, i'm still new to the forum and haven't been able to find answers using the search feature.

First, the navi system works great but there are a couple messages that refuse to be deleted, even after i select the delete option. does this take an exceptionally long time to do or is there something more to it? i also have experienced some problems with the live traffic. i cannot get it function at all. it keeps telling me there is no traffic incedent to report when i select the option. do i have to activate it or something?

second, the drl (daytime running lights) have somehow screwed up. i took the car for inspection and i believe maybe the guy did something. before, i would turn the car off and the lights would stay on for a few, then turn off. now, it will not do that at all. i have my lights on auto, i'm not exactly sure what else there is to do?

last, the rear right passenger window will not respond to my controls on the drivers seat. it works fine if you use the controls on the door itself but nothing happens from the drivers side. is there a button to press or will i have to take it in to the dealer?

Thank you in advance for any responses. i look foward to becoming a contributing member of this community. i'll post pics of the car in the gallery in a few days. thanks again.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ and congrats on a very special car.

First, the navi system works great but there are a couple messages that refuse to be deleted, even after i select the delete option. does this take an exceptionally long time to do or is there something more to it? i also have experienced some problems with the live traffic. i cannot get it function at all. it keeps telling me there is no traffic incedent to report when i select the option. do i have to activate it or something?
Some messages have to be deleted by the dealer. I simply ignored those messages as they are not a big deal. XM Traffic has to be activated. If there is no traffic coverage in your area, don't bother activating as it's a waste of money when there's no coverage. Where are you?

second, the drl (daytime running lights) have somehow screwed up. i took the car for inspection and i believe maybe the guy did something. before, i would turn the car off and the lights would stay on for a few, then turn off. now, it will not do that at all. i have my lights on auto, i'm not exactly sure what else there is to do?
This is programmable via the multi-info display IIRC. Instructions are in the owner's manual.

last, the rear right passenger window will not respond to my controls on the drivers seat. it works fine if you use the controls on the door itself but nothing happens from the drivers side. is there a button to press or will i have to take it in to the dealer?
You don't have to bring this to the dealer. It's an easy fix:

Press and hold the button to roll each problem window all the way down, then hold for 5 seconds after the window is down. Let go of the button. Press and hold the button to put the window the whole way up then hold for 5 seconds after the window is up. your windows should now be reset and can be controlled from the drivers window controls.

Do post pics......more RL pr0n please.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Welcome. Great choice and model year,,,,but I am partial to 06.

1) What are the NAVI messages you cannot delete? Some messages may require a service tech to remove if they are related to service needs.

2) The DRLs only illuminate with the ignition. The HIDs can be set to stay on based on your personal settings in the MID. Perhaps your remote / fob has become unpaired (which would cause the personal settings in the MID to become inoperative). Or perhaps you were just confusing the two light systems?

3) The rear window needs to be reset: see this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...+power+windows

It is all a little overwhelming at first, but when you become with all the RL's features and technology, you wil wonder how you lived without it. Three years later and I still find new thinngs with my RL that keeps the new car honeymoon ongoing.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Welcome. Great choice and model year,,,,but I am partial to 06.

1) What are the NAVI messages you cannot delete? Some messages may require a service tech to remove if they are related to service needs.

2) The DRLs only illuminate with the ignition. The HIDs can be set to stay on based on your personal settings in the MID. Perhaps your remote / fob has become unpaired (which would cause the personal settings in the MID to become inoperative). Or perhaps you were just confusing the two light systems?

3) The rear window needs to be reset: see this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...+power+windows

It is all a little overwhelming at first, but when you become with all the RL's features and technology, you wil wonder how you lived without it. Three years later and I still find new thinngs with my RL that keeps the new car honeymoon ongoing.
The "un-delete-able" messages can be deleted using the Map-Menu-Cancel hidden diagnostic menu. Might want to save that for later though until he's really familiar with the car.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
So I see you have a tech package. What kind of wheels and tires do you have, and how do you like the CMBS?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by dwboston
The "un-delete-able" messages can be deleted using the Map-Menu-Cancel hidden diagnostic menu. Might want to save that for later though until he's really familiar with the car.

Shhhhhh. That is where the secret satellite screen is.....

I agree,,,,he is not ready....yet.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Yeah, he needs to learn the super-secret RL handshake first.

And thanks for the tip on deleting the undeletable messages. *Wayne Campbell voice* "I was not aware of that."
Old 06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Chas2
So I see you have a tech package. What kind of wheels and tires do you have, and how do you like the CMBS?

Well, my ignorance shines yet again, haha. CMBS? The tech pkg is great. I've gotten a great handle on the features of the car thus far, but from what I see anyway, theres apparently more to this car than I realize. I'm waiting for when someone tells me which button to press for the flux capacitor or warp drive, ha. I really enjoy the sound system. A young guy like myself has certain...uh, preconceived requirements that fully satisfy my tastes.

As far as the original post is concerned, I've manged to the window to work again (thanks! ). I'm still trying to figure out the HID business (thanks for the correction TampaRL) but I haven't been able to reivew the manual again so I'm confident this will resolve itself.

I've got to get to BestBuy and purchase a nice camera so I can load up pics asap! I was thinking of using my phone but then again, you wouldn't use a point-and-shoot for a super model. The car needs due justice, haha.

Last edited by MrTwenty6; 06-10-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by MrTwenty6
As far as the original post is concerned, I've manged to the window to work again (thanks! ). I'm still trying to figure out the HID business (thanks for the correction TampaRL) but I haven't been able to reivew the manual again so I'm confident this will resolve itself.
Assuming your FOB was not unlinked by the vehicle inspector (if linked it will say WELCOME DRIVER 1 or 2 in the MID), the Lighting Setup in the MID is where you determine the delay for lights. It is page 115-116 of the 06RL manual.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...606O00112A.pdf

The headlights, parking lights, side
marker lights, taillights, and license
plate light go off after the selected
time when you close the driver’s
door and take the remote with you.
To change how long the lights stay
on before they go off, follow these
instructions:
While the multi-information display
is in the LIGHTING SETUP screen
of the CUSTOMIZE GROUP, press
the SEL/RESET button. The screen
changes to CUSTOMIZE MENU.
Press the INFO ( / ) button until
you see the above display.
Press the SEL/RESET button. The
screen changes as shown above.
Select how long you want the lights
to stay on before they go off (60, 30,
or 15 seconds) by pressing the INFO
( / ) button, then press the SEL/
RESET button to enter your
selection.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 PM
10th Gear

I am in the market looking at 06-08's, can I ask what you paid and if it is Certified?

Congrats!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
well i just want to say congrats on your car. you will have a lot of fun with your car. when you get a chance post some pics. but once again have fun.

later
Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
6th Gear

I've just posted pictures in the gallery sub-forum. Please, let me know what you think.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-photograph-gallery-91/06-rl-tech-pkg-black-black-731243/