new noise - can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new noise - can't figure it out

Ok, for a couple days in a row now, there is a strange humming noise coming from behind the dash, likely in the engine compartment. At first, I thought it was the whirring of the HVAC unit fans, but the sound remains with the HVAC off. It changes slightly with either steering or braking, but it doesn't complete stop. I wonder if it's the fuel pump, or the power steering pump. Has anyone else heard this type of sound? The car is so quiet normally, that this is certainly noticable.

And, I got in the car yesterday, key fob in my pocket, and it started it up just fine, then flashed a million messages about "no key fob in car", even though it was right there in my pocket, and it wouldn't have started without the fob inside the car. My only guess was that the fob was "hiding" behind the metal foil in the pack of gum in that same pocket...

Also, my HFL has worked flawlessly since day one, until this week. Now, when I hang-up a call (leaving someone a message or something), it doesn't hang-up, it just puts the call on hold. Anyone else experience that? I have the Motorola V600.

Randy
Old 06-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyChicago
Ok, for a couple days in a row now, there is a strange humming noise coming from behind the dash, likely in the engine compartment. At first, I thought it was the whirring of the HVAC unit fans, but the sound remains with the HVAC off. It changes slightly with either steering or braking, but it doesn't complete stop. I wonder if it's the fuel pump, or the power steering pump. Has anyone else heard this type of sound? The car is so quiet normally, that this is certainly noticable.

And, I got in the car yesterday, key fob in my pocket, and it started it up just fine, then flashed a million messages about "no key fob in car", even though it was right there in my pocket, and it wouldn't have started without the fob inside the car. My only guess was that the fob was "hiding" behind the metal foil in the pack of gum in that same pocket...

Also, my HFL has worked flawlessly since day one, until this week. Now, when I hang-up a call (leaving someone a message or something), it doesn't hang-up, it just puts the call on hold. Anyone else experience that? I have the Motorola V600.

Randy

Sounds like your car has a virus! If you don't want to take the car to the dealer for their diagnostic tests, you might try looking at the "secret" diagnostic info via your nav screen. I don't recall the exact way to access the menu (you need to hold down three buttons at the same time, I just don't remember which ones), but there are several threads in this forum that spell out the steps.