Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

High everyone new proud father of a 2005 RL. Been a lifelong Honda guy and now have the top of the line. The wife liked the RL so much she stole it from me. So I gues I'll have to get another.

In any case, I've read through the forum and pretty much have the same documented problems as other 05 RL owners with the below immediate problems.

Loose driver side mirror.

Flickering headlights.

I am an extreme DIYer and look to correspond with feloow DIYer's who have experience with the RL.

2005 RL:81K miles
2008 Accore EXV6: 351K miles
2000 TL: 134K miles Damn Transmission
89 CRX: 175K miles (Sold)
84 Civic Hatchback: 225 K miles (Retired)

Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Correction the Accord is a 1998 EXV6 with 351K miles.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Welcome.

Those vehicles have tallied some serious mileage! No need to tell you about the reliability nor known deficiencies of Honda products. No vehicle is perfect. And considering how few people have accepted the RL, those of us who have find it an exceptional vehicle beyond initial impression.

Three years later and my RL continues to dazzle me. This is the longest new car honeymoon I have to date. Even after the initial excitement of a new vehicle tends to wear off, there is so much I appreciate of the RL by simply continuing to own and drive it thereafter.

Someone in tune with Honda vehicles for the long haul, as you are, will likely see the nuances and refined details of the RL that are truly Honda. Each drive calls out a detail of the car that makes you appreciate how engineers thought and re-thought that very detail.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Welcome.

Those vehicles have tallied some serious mileage! No need to tell you about the reliability nor known deficiencies of Honda products. No vehicle is perfect. And considering how few people have accepted the RL, those of us who have find it an exceptional vehicle beyond initial impression.

Three years later and my RL continues to dazzle me. This is the longest new car honeymoon I have to date. Even after the initial excitement of a new vehicle tends to wear off, there is so much I appreciate of the RL by simply continuing to own and drive it thereafter.

Someone in tune with Honda vehicles for the long haul, as you are, will likely see the nuances and refined details of the RL that are truly Honda. Each drive calls out a detail of the car that makes you appreciate how engineers thought and re-thought that very detail.
Here is my current Dilema.

The accord is in the back yard begging for her transmission to be rebuilt and stay alive as a work commuter. Wife says we have too many cars and wants to get rid of her. I told her how can we abandon my daughter just because she has a broken leg.

Wife's former TL's transmission is gone and this is why we now have the RL.

I am planning on purchasing the Accord's transmission and fix myself as a hobby and commute to work with it.

I will let Acura fix the TL's transmission and will sell it afterward's. I was going to use that cash and some other to get a G35 coupe. Now after getting to know the RL it is more sporty than the G35 IMO. To be honest all other cars fall short of the RL and I am seriously considerring getting another one since my wife stole my RL.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=stevesrl;11008898]I told her how can we abandon my daughter just because she has a broken leg.
QUOTE]

Welcome to the exclusive brotherhood! I Have had my 05 RL for almost 3 months and still in the "honeymoon" phase (I won't tell you how many times i turn around and look at my RL after leaving the parking lot, or the many times I have said WOW, after new findings in the RL!). In summation, the RL is truly a GREAT sedan that Acura somehow found a way to mucked up.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greetings

I love my 05, mostly because of it's rarity. I never see another one on my way to work in the AM .. and that's a good feeling right there!

And yeah, i still turn around after I park to marvel at its beauty. Sure, it has minor issues, but those are easily fixable under warranty or DIY.

Enjoy!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the family.
As for the flickering lights, new bulbs and ignitors solved mine.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Wife was sick today and I got to drive the car on a weekday. The interstate has never been so great. Took the guys out to lunch to let them drool a little and the wife emailed after lunch asking about her baby. She's so sweet (wife is too).

I