New to forum - old on 07 RL - decision time ahead to invest or sell her

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014 | 08:24 AM
Cruisin'

New to forum - old on 07 RL - decision time ahead to invest or sell her

Greetings. I'm new to this forum. I noticed a few flames, so, in advance, I've done my hours on Google and seen as much as I can including the supercharger thread by the guy in CA. So....

I love my 07 RL Tech. My GF nicknamed her Rachel Lauren.

It runs like a watch. I got her cert used in early 08 and she's been babied, maintained, professionally detailed with paint rehab twice, all maintenance with Acura.

But, now she has 90K and the timing belt is due, and I've come to want more power. I'm looking closely at a 2012 A6 Prestige... Or an 11 S5 V8.

So, if she stays, the paint is now bad and there's one little tiny rust spot, so she'll go from black to a midnight blue metallic. Cost will be $3,500.

Timing belt et al $2,200

It looks like there is no ECU tune but maybe a JET unit could fly. That one, or course, the website says works, but...

Supercharger could be budgeted, but ship the car to CA then, I assume, at least upgrade the brakes for more $$$? Hmmmmm....

CAI is just totally confusing. One of your uber members Touge (I'm near NYC) seems to have pulled it off but the manufacturers site says there isn't one for an 07 RL.... I bumped an old thread on that one but I'll wait to PM the poor guy until the elders chime in here (well, I hope some do!). Edit: got an answer there; TL same engine noted.

TL turbo kit? From what I've read that doesn't even sound possible but maybe I don't have Google time in on that one to know.

Bottom line, I'm about to invest $6K for the timing belt plus paint. Or not. Street value of the car is $15K or so now, and I doubt any investment would change that. If I do just that, then I'll buy a toy such as a Roush mustang next year. Not a bad result. RL pretty daily, Roush at night.

Or, push the RL into the performance range of an A6 and skip the Roush for now. I know it may not be possible, but, even if it is, what options actually work to increase RL actual HP? I'd budget $5-6K more for the right things. I hate to ask that when so many get flamed for it, but after searching there's this confusion present where some say it can't be done, someone else has a SC, another a turbo, and there may be a simple nice kick from a CAI.

Thoughts welcome.

Oh, by the by, I noticed a few RL haters knocking around here. Don't. That's a classy and fairly rare car and I've driven a lot of high lines in my time and owned a few. RLs are not quick off the line, but in every other way they're a pleasure. Especially the BOSE, IMO.

Last edited by Shorton62; 07-05-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2014 | 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

The CAI will do nothing for you. You will love the improved sound, but 1-2 HP (5 TOPS) isn't going to scratch your itch. You would be MUCH better off with PCDs, j-pipe, high flow cats, and a cat back. That should get you into the 20 HP range and would open up the back end for more air from the front to make a CAI worthwhile.

If you are serious about taking it to another level, a turbo is the way to go. Supposedly the Russian KB1 turbo was from an EVO. The J35 has been turbo'ed a number of times, and the gains are much more substantial than a SC. However, you will have to get a quality shop involved, and it will cost a pretty penny. Not as much as an A6, but I would guess you would be in for $10k to get everything on including your belt and paint.

However, custom builds go terribly wrong all the time, and if the shop is shady, you are SOL. On the other hand, Audis go wrong all the time too. It's a very tough choice if money isn't an issue. A turbo RL would be a sweet thing, but your Audi choices are built to be sweet from the factory.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot.

The following users liked this post:
Shorton62 (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014 | 04:29 AM
Cruisin'

When I got the RL, I did all of my homework. At the time, especially for the money, it was definitely the right thing to do. Even now, I think the car is distinct and very sexy. It is such a shame that Acura didn't boost that to the next level. Instead, the wrecked the look IMO basically pulled the car, then, ugh, RLX.

I did look over the RLX; I told the dealer "You do realize that price is so close to the A6 that you may not be able to compete, right?"

The latest TL AWD is close to the RL. The dealer kept loaning them to me. Rats.

When I visited my dealer I learned that someone with a PowerPoint deck has screwed up and the entire TLX platform is so badly delayed that there isn't even a good choice in TL AWD because inventory has been depleted.

And that is how Acura will lose a customer.

If I'm just going to sell it, I'm wondering if I should do the timing belt.... And, of course, whether or not to sell it here or on cars dot cum
Old 07-06-2014 | 07:02 AM

good choice on selling it; as spy said; anything short of a turbo wont gain serious power.

the only time you should do the timing belt is if you plan on keeping it.
sell it as is.
Shorton62 (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014 | 07:24 AM
Cruisin'

Sounds correct. Thing is, other than age, I love the RL. In a perfect world, I'd restore it, keep it as a classic, then buy more toys. Now, off to get lotto tickets.....
Old 07-06-2014 | 09:03 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

IMHO, keep the RL is you can appreciate it as it is. There is not much you can do to it if you like to mod your car. If you are a one car guy, the desire to mod will likely sour your appreciation for the car (it sounds like you are at that threshold).

A few RL owners on the forum have the RL as is, everyday driver and a second car to satisfy their needs for something specialized. Most cannot afford to do this but it may be a good solution if you can. I personally believe the RL is a car that can justify ownership until the wheels fall off. Just be clear that the car satisfies YOU and you do not own it to satisfy OTHERs. IMHO that is the attribute where most haters have focus. The RL is not a show off car, and a few have done extraordinary things to the RL with a limited audience from which to be appreciated.

I am in somewhat a similar situation. My RL has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. To this day I am regularly asked if it is a new vehicle. It has worn extremely well with scheduled maintenance and TLC. I have never owned a vehicle this long. However my new car itch is on the radar. Frankly I cannot find anything $60K-ish that is $60K more car than I already have. That tells me a lot about how the RL satisfies me. I am considering a Sport Hybrid RLX should they ever release it plus a year of watching for any issues already pushes me into a 2016 MY. Then I think I should just keep the RL and get a second vehicle...maybe a sport / fun ride or maybe a utility crossover. I am leaning toward the second option as parting with the RL will likely return regret after any new car honeymoon wears off.

You seem to appreciate the RL but also need a mod project...how can you best address both?

justnspace (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014 | 10:12 AM

^that's an interesting point of view, I wrote off the 2nd car because he was looking at the audi's.

but if he were to keep the RL and pick up a 2nd car, what would satisfy the OP?!
Old 07-06-2014 | 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

That's a lot of money to mod and repair. This is an interesting dilemma but my rule here is, if the cost to maintain or enhance reaches near the vehicle's value, it's provably a good time to consider something else. Still, I'm not in your shoes as you love the RL, so this is a tough one.
Old 07-06-2014 | 03:35 PM
Intermediate

I would say keep the RL and for speed needs get a 2nd car! That's what I did. My RL is my everyday car when I have the need for speed I pull out my 700whp CTS-V!
Old 07-06-2014 | 10:06 PM

*Cough* BULLSHIT *cough*
Old 07-07-2014 | 11:09 AM
Intermediate

Do I need need to post a picture?
Old 07-07-2014 | 01:27 PM

include waffles and bacon in the pic, so we know its real.
Old 07-07-2014 | 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dahatter
Do I need need to post a picture?

Originally Posted by justnspace
include waffles and bacon in the pic, so we know its real.
x2.
justnspace (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014 | 04:38 PM
Advanced

Old 07-07-2014 | 06:27 PM
Intermediate

Cts-v

Here's the pictures. I tried to download a video of a walk around but couldn't figure it out! lol
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Outlook.com (1).zip (110.9 KB, 17 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by dahatter:
justnspace (07-07-2014), pcloadletter (07-08-2014), wstr75 (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014 | 07:59 PM

Old 07-10-2014 | 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

Face.

Now, I have an estimate to fix the RL paint and trim to like-new. $3,700. Add timing belt, ugh.

So, for the moment, I'll just have the chrome-like plastic inserts on the bumpers, which are chipping, done. Timing belt, well, fall?

My options are good.

The house with my ex should sell in about 60 days.

Then, sure, Roush Mustang addition, -or- still torn between S5 and A6.

Thing is, with a daily driver, I might cry at the first door ding on an Audi.

In that vein, any next car, even this one, I may get a video system. I'm sick of people smacking into my vehicles then getting off the hook. Downside? Let's say something's my fault....
Old 07-10-2014 | 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

BTW, will that CTS V actually go sub 4 sec 0-60?
Old 07-10-2014 | 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TampaRL
IMHO, keep the RL is you can appreciate it as it is. There is not much you can do to it if you like to mod your car. If you are a one car guy, the desire to mod will likely sour your appreciation for the car (it sounds like you are at that threshold).

A few RL owners on the forum have the RL as is, everyday driver and a second car to satisfy their needs for something specialized. Most cannot afford to do this but it may be a good solution if you can. I personally believe the RL is a car that can justify ownership until the wheels fall off. Just be clear that the car satisfies YOU and you do not own it to satisfy OTHERs. IMHO that is the attribute where most haters have focus. The RL is not a show off car, and a few have done extraordinary things to the RL with a limited audience from which to be appreciated.

I am in somewhat a similar situation. My RL has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. To this day I am regularly asked if it is a new vehicle. It has worn extremely well with scheduled maintenance and TLC. I have never owned a vehicle this long. However my new car itch is on the radar. Frankly I cannot find anything $60K-ish that is $60K more car than I already have. That tells me a lot about how the RL satisfies me. I am considering a Sport Hybrid RLX should they ever release it plus a year of watching for any issues already pushes me into a 2016 MY. Then I think I should just keep the RL and get a second vehicle...maybe a sport / fun ride or maybe a utility crossover. I am leaning toward the second option as parting with the RL will likely return regret after any new car honeymoon wears off.

You seem to appreciate the RL but also need a mod project...how can you best address both?

You sound exactly like me. Yeah, is it worth $60K more? RLX to me just looks like it isn't as nice as the Audi, but the price is too close. I told the dealer they need to sticker than lower, IMO.

I may snap up a cert used A6 with very low miles, as I did with the RL, and that's more than $18K cheaper.... but finding exactly what I want would take time.

If only I had a zillion dollars....