New Exhaust Tips being installed Thursday

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
snp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your right about the service you get from a Lexus dealer.
Everytime I take my RX330 in for a service I feel like they roll out a red carpet.
Major props to Bellevue Lexus.
I'm serious about trading in the RL for a Lexus GS.

Thanks Guys
Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
People "speaking by walking" isn't enough to convince Acura. Wonder why they're pulling the RSX? Or why the RL isn't selling?

Customer service.

And Honda doesn't seem to care.

The *ONLY* reason (and I mean only) that I'm still a customer is Ed Voyles Acura. Honda/Acura Client Services should all be placed in a cage and shot.

It's unfortunate that Toyota (and to some point Nissan, VW/Audi and BMW) have the same mindset. Unless you're a) a real legal risk or b) an irate nutbag they do nothing.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
i wouldn't replace my RL with a lexus..anyway, i also hate my Acura dealer. NEVER go to Sierra Acura of Alhambra. they suck ass. i asked them about the tips, and showed them the Acura service news, and they say that it's only for the pearl white cars because then the soot will show, and that it depends on the car itself. i thought it was complete bull, and they said that no one asked them about the tips.

then, some fag "technition" took my RL to have a road test with the brakes, without me inside for who knows why. and that fag got my RL's front left bumper scraped, it's really big too, and it's not only on the bottom. it's on the side too. and they wouldn't even admit that they did it. they said they "saw" it when i drove in. that is complete bullshit. they said they'll repaint it and all, but they need it for 4 days, and won't give me a rental. and i don't trust them with my car for 4 days, so i just repainted that area with some touch up paint..

so..NEVER go to Sierra Acura of Alhambra.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
i wouldn't replace my RL with a lexus..anyway, i also hate my Acura dealer. NEVER go to Sierra Acura of Alhambra. they suck ass. i asked them about the tips, and showed them the Acura service news, and they say that it's only for the pearl white cars because then the soot will show, and that it depends on the car itself. i thought it was complete bull, and they said that no one asked them about the tips.

then, some fag "technition" took my RL to have a road test with the brakes, without me inside for who knows why. and that fag got my RL's front left bumper scraped, it's really big too, and it's not only on the bottom. it's on the side too. and they wouldn't even admit that they did it. they said they "saw" it when i drove in. that is complete bullshit. they said they'll repaint it and all, but they need it for 4 days, and won't give me a rental. and i don't trust them with my car for 4 days, so i just repainted that area with some touch up paint..

so..NEVER go to Sierra Acura of Alhambra.
That sucks. Fight long enough, and you'll get the rental.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:03 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been a couple weeks since the tips were replaced on our RL. Wow, what a difference. Where once was nasty soot build up, is now cleaner.

We're just a handful of RL owners that are aware of this fix. Acura should really step up and make this change to ALL 05 RL owners considering the fact that we're pretty much rolling advertisements.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by bkw
It's been a couple weeks since the tips were replaced on our RL. Wow, what a difference. Where once was nasty soot build up, is now cleaner.

We're just a handful of RL owners that are aware of this fix. Acura should really step up and make this change to ALL 05 RL owners considering the fact that we're pretty much rolling advertisements.
It has been a couple of months for me with a mix of city driving and a long trip.
No trace of carbon since the change.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Advanced

I just took my Pearl White RL into the dealership for several service items (Service B, TSB 06-017, rattle on back shelf) and I also requested to have the exhaust tips on my 05'RL replaced with the O6 version. I printed out this entire thread and I highlighted each RL owner that had it replaced under warranty. I also printed out the Acura Service Newsletter that provided the part numbers. The service manager went to talk to the head service manager, made a telephone call, and then said it will be covered under warranty. Woohoo! I also have a 06'TL loaner......NICE! To my surprise, it's almost the exact same size as my RL based upon the footprint it's taking up in my garage. I knew it was close, but I didn't think it was that close (4 in ~).
Old 05-12-2006, 09:12 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice. Please let me know how the 06-017 turns out. I'll do that one next.

As for the new tips on a Pearl White, I'm still amazed how well these 06 tips are working out on ours.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bkw

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that every 05 RL should have them changed. I go my changed couple of weeks ago, and what a difference (06 RL has different Tips than 05 RL, just by this Acura is admitting that there is a problem)!
Also I can't believe how much crap the dealers are giving you guys. I actually e-mailed the dealer, and told them that I have black spots on my car from exhaust. The same day they have emailed be back to tell me that new tips are on order under my Vin.
I would recommend to everyone to get them changed! Try calling them, and say that you have black spots all over the car from exhaust. Take them for the spin, and ask if the exhaust needs to be replaced.
Each dealer that does not want to replace your Tips is stupid. My dealer told me that new Tips are about $170+ about 1H in labor ($85). This is the quickest $85 your dealer will ever make!!!! It takes 5-10 minutes to have them changed.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what makes this forum great. I had my tips replaced while they installed my steering wheel with no issues. I wouldn’t have known about this problem if I didn’t participate in this forum.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

I merely mentioned the issue to my Acura dealer in Calgary and they replaced them without issue. BTW, the problem is more noticable on white RLs like mine. Maybe they are more willing to deal with the problem when it makes their cars looks crappy!!

Mark
Old 05-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by marks
I merely mentioned the issue to my Acura dealer in Calgary and they replaced them without issue. BTW, the problem is more noticable on white RLs like mine. Maybe they are more willing to deal with the problem when it makes their cars looks crappy!!

Mark
The same experience here with my local dealership... the service manager actually read the SB over the phone to me and said that he will gladly order the parts and replace the tips. This is what makes this forum great.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Racer

My tips were replaced last week with absolutely no hassle. I had to make a return trip to the dealership since they were not in stock and had to be ordered.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Intermediate

I went to my local dealer Morande in New Britian, Ct and they told me about the tips. They did have to order a set but they came five days later. They wouldn't let me install them because they told me that Acura would'nt pay them if I did the work. It only took them ten minutes and they adjusted the seat belts while they had the car. I didn't know that I was having a problem with the seat belts but they told me that they were not retracting fast enough, who knew. They also told me that most of there RL owners didn't want the new tips unless they were driving white cars. Thats funny mine is white.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys...

I didn't want to try to reference 6 pages
of talk here to find what I needed.

I am going to my Acura dealer on Tuesday
for an oil change.

Is there a service bulletin I can print out or
at best, a number I can reference that I can
show the service manager? I'd like to get my
exhaust tips replaced.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Hey guys...

I didn't want to try to reference 6 pages
of talk here to find what I needed.

I am going to my Acura dealer on Tuesday
for an oil change.

Is there a service bulletin I can print out or
at best, a number I can reference that I can
show the service manager? I'd like to get my
exhaust tips replaced.

Thanks
The post on page 5 by gizmowizard, 04-26-2006, 7:26 AM, has the link to the Service Bulletin News with the reference.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bkw
Nice. Please let me know how the 06-017 turns out. I'll do that one next.

As for the new tips on a Pearl White, I'm still amazed how well these 06 tips are working out on ours.
Well, TSB-06-017 was a big FLOP for me since they only fixed the rattles that they could duplicate. They had my RL for two days and supposedly drove it for miles, but could only duplicate one rattle (left air vent); I never knew I had that one.

When I picked up my RL, it seemed that all the rattles disappeared and I thought for a short moment that my problems might be finally over (wishful thinking). After sitting in my garage for a whole day, the gremlins reappeared.

I just received an e-mail survey about my experience with Acura Service and I gave them both barrels. We'll see if they care to respond. It's not just about the rattles, but about the whole experience. For example, I filled out a service appointment request on OwnersLink detailing why I was bringing in the RL, and when I arrive, they asked me if I had an appointment and for what reason?

As for my exhaust tips, those were replaced and so far, it seems to be doing the trick. At least I'm making some progress with my RL.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:04 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
By the way, just to let you know....

I took my 05 RL in for its first oil change yesterday at
Ryan's Open Road Acura in New Brunswick, NJ.

Showed them the service bulletin. They gladly agreed to
install the exhaust tips under warranty. Just waiting for the
parts to arrive.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
10th Gear

anyone of you guys still have the older exhaust tips? i'm interested in a pair...

i know this would better fit the WTB, but i figure this thread would yield better results.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joedanger11
anyone of you guys still have the older exhaust tips? i'm interested in a pair...

i know this would better fit the WTB, but i figure this thread would yield better results.
Are you going to disguise your boring to own because nothing ever goes wrong with it '06 model as a classic, soon to be highly collectible, sure to appreciate in value and first in its class '05 model...or maybe exploit with the ladies the "macho" look that only dirty tips give the car? Can't miss either way. Wish I had remembered to ask for mine!

<g>
Old 06-02-2006, 09:42 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bluemule
Are you going to disguise your boring to own because nothing ever goes wrong with it '06 model as a classic, soon to be highly collectible, sure to appreciate in value and first in its class '05 model...or maybe exploit with the ladies the "macho" look that only dirty tips give the car? Can't miss either way. Wish I had remembered to ask for mine!

<g>

Whoa, was that a run on sentence? Because I didn't catch what you were trying to say. Regardless, it hinted of sarcasm so I'll just move along. Thanks for the input though.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Racer

it hinted of sarcasm
Nope...the comment is most decidedly *not* sarcasm...

...it's a friendly and happy note in the *funning* vein. I even grinned <g>. I'm grinning now. <ggg>

FWIW, for me, it was not an easy decision whether or not to change out my tips. I've always preferred to leave an automobile in original condition since I tend to keep mine for a long time...I don't particularly like modifications. But, in this instance, I followed the advice of a service advisor and went ahead and swapped out those sooty tips. If the '05 car is ever a classic *waaaay* down the road, the original tips will be more desirable, IMHO.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:06 AM
10th Gear

OK. I totally understood this time.. and reading back on the first post.. it made much more sense.

I wouldn't think of the new replacement tips as modifications since there was a service bulletin for it... like a recall on a defective part. The replacement was still OEM and installed by the dealer, so it's no sweat.

Oh btw, I'm looking for the older ones since I plan on putting them on a different car that is currently without exhaust tips. The size of bumper cutout for the exhaust is equivalent to the RL so I was just wondering. I wish I owned an RL... they are very nice! I actually have an Accord (go easy on me ).
Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Racer

OI actually have an Accord (go easy on me ).
My '94 Accord EX has over 459,000 miles and still going strong. Unfortunately I totaled my '90 Accord...the two I've owned are the reason I opted for an RL.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:54 PM
10th Gear

soo.. no one with an extra set of RL tips, eh?

Old 06-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Instructor

soo.. no one with an extra set of RL tips, eh?

I don't think you will find a set because the dealers keep them to return to Acura and claim the warranty charge. Do you have an '06 and want the '05 tips on it? I'm not kidding. I have not replaced mine even though I have a white car because I find the '05 tips much better looking and they fit the car so much better. The '06 tips look like an aftermarket addiition. The carbon build-up is not an issue if one washes the car at least every two weeks and keeps the bumper well Zainoed.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Retired and Loving It

My wife has been ragging me about the soot on the bumper of her Pearl White 05 RL. Thanks for the info in this forum. I just contacted my dealer about the exhaust tips. I emailed them the Service News Bulletin. I'll keep you guys advised.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Retired and Loving It

Service manager from my local dealership just called. He said that he would order the 06 tips in the Service News bulletin for me. He will schedule me for installation when they come in. No charge all on warrenty.

Big thanks to all in this thread who did the leg work.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Does the '07 come with the '06 Tips?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
I have not replaced mine even though I have a white car because I find the '05 tips much better looking and they fit the car so much better. The '06 tips look like an aftermarket addiition. The carbon build-up is not an issue if one washes the car at least every two weeks and keeps the bumper well Zainoed.
I agree, the 05 tips look like a larger bore exhaust pipe but the 06's look like it's a small bore trying to look like a big bore. (I know that the 05 and the 06 have the same pipe size). When I was a kid we called them "go-faster" exhaust pipes - it didn't go any faster but it sounded like it did!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by AltecBX
Does the '07 come with the '06 Tips?
We don't know yet. We're all waiting for more info on the 07 RLs.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Retired and Loving It

New exhaust tips were installed this morning. Service manager said it is the first replacement they have done on an 05 RL. Parts manager said that he didn't know there was any difference in the tips. Many thanks to David Owens, service manager, at Superior Acura of Bakersfield. He's a great guy that believes in and practices customer service.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
New exhaust tips were installed this morning. Service manager said it is the first replacement they have done on an 05 RL. Parts manager said that he didn't know there was any difference in the tips. Many thanks to David Owens, service manager, at Superior Acura of Bakersfield. He's a great guy that believes in and practices customer service.

I am fairly convinced that the only dealers that won't do this gratis have service writers who are too lazy to check with Acura or just get a kick out of jacking people up!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by Rich in NC
I am fairly convinced that the only dealers that won't do this gratis have service writers who are too lazy to check with Acura or just get a kick out of jacking people up!
I agree with you Rich. I guess I'm lucky to have such a good service dept. at my local Acura dealership, Superior Acura. I think some dealerships don't have the time or money to train their personnel in good customer relationship. I bought my 05 RL from this dealership and my 06 TL from a different one, Valencia Acura. This service department doesn't care where the car came from. They just take care of any problems, no questiones asked. I really appreciate that.