New Exhaust Tips being installed Thursday

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just called my SA and he was familiar with the exhaust issue and ordered the new parts for me. They should be in within a week or so and I'll have them installed. He said they will see what they can do to get the exhaust stains off mine. I haven't tried rubbing compound or anything like that at this point but I would think that would do the trick.

--Josh
Old 03-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Racer

My dealer ordered them as well and I will get them installed next week. Interestingly he said to make sure the car is dirty when I come in becasue they have to take pictures of the tips for acura. Not a problem I said, they are alway black, unless I just washed the car.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
i disagree with jftjr's cosmetic stuff. to me, buying a top of the line acura car makes sense if you're gonna take really good care of it. if you're not then why buy such an expensive car? it's kinda like saying, "i don't care if my car paint deteriorates and rusts."

anyway, i think the old tips make the exhaust hole flair out too soon, so the soot and everything is closer to the car, but the new ones, it looks like the hole doesn't flair out until the very end, or at all.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
i disagree with jftjr's cosmetic stuff. to me, buying a top of the line acura car makes sense if you're gonna take really good care of it. if you're not then why buy such an expensive car? it's kinda like saying, "i don't care if my car paint deteriorates and rusts."

anyway, i think the old tips make the exhaust hole flair out too soon, so the soot and everything is closer to the car, but the new ones, it looks like the hole doesn't flair out until the very end, or at all.

100% Agree with your comments! I think jftjr's and Rich still don't get this point!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
i disagree with jftjr's cosmetic stuff. to me, buying a top of the line acura car makes sense if you're gonna take really good care of it. if you're not then why buy such an expensive car? it's kinda like saying, "i don't care if my car paint deteriorates and rusts." . . . . . . .
Exactly. That is exactly the problem, we are not taking "really good care" of our cars. We, Americans, are the problem - we don't wash our cars often enough. If you wash your car at least once every couple of weeks you will not have the permanent stains on your bumper - they are only temporary until the next wash. It's like the seat belts issue in Japanese cars many years ago. They were failing because we eat in our cars and food was jamming the seatbelt latches. That is the explanation the Japanese gave and I'm not surprised - you don't see much eating in cars in the rest of the world.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
Exactly. That is exactly the problem, we are not taking "really good care" of our cars. We, Americans, are the problem - we don't wash our cars often enough. If you wash your car at least once every couple of weeks you will not have the permanent stains on your bumper - they are only temporary until the next wash. It's like the seat belts issue in Japanese cars many years ago. They were failing because we eat in our cars and food was jamming the seatbelt latches. That is the explanation the Japanese gave and I'm not surprised - you don't see much eating in cars in the rest of the world.
No, I don't think this is really the issue. I wash my car every week - if not then every other week. I definitely keep up on this task but still have the exhaust stain issues. Maybe not to the degree as some but it is not something that easily goes away with the wash. This is a fundamental problem and it appears Acura recognizes the issue and wishes to resolve it quickly and quietly. If it were just a matter of the individual owners not washing their car often enough, I don't think Acura would make such efforts...

An update on my exhaust tip replacement. My SA called yesterday about 45 minutes after our initial conversation and said he actually had them in stock and that I could come by anytime to get them replaced. It's a couple hours drive so I'm planning to go tomorrow afternoon to have it done. I'll update after the weekend...

--Josh
Old 03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Cruisin'

Smile

Originally Posted by andrewgg2
100% Agree with your comments! I think jftjr's and Rich still don't get this point!
I agree . I called the dealer 2 days ago and he replaced them today. The car looks much better. I still think that if Acura wants a happy customer , it should not take a complaint but should be done as a normal change or improvement when the customer takes the car in for a scheduled service.
The looks of the car help sell more and the worth of a more than satisfied owner's free advertising to others by word of mouth is not to be reckoned with!
Old 03-19-2006, 06:17 PM
6th Gear

I called my local Acura SA about the exhaust tips and he told this is the first time he has heard of this. He said he will look into this and see if this is a problem. Any suggestions/recommendations regarding if he comes back to me with "this is not a problem we heard of, blah, blah, blah..."

I am located in NJ. Anyone have had a NJ dealer make this change?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

Mine were replaced Friday afternoon. The dealership had used their last set the day before I arrived and didn't realize it was their last until they went to grab a new set for my car. Since they were out and I have a couple of hours drive to get to them, they pulled one of the 2006 models around to the garage and pulled them for me. Once the plan was set it only took them about 20 minutes to knock it out and I was out of there.

Another good experience with the Jackson, MS dealership...

--Josh
Old 03-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Racer

sampan2-

tell them to read the Acura Service News Bulletin for Feb 2006

"Black Soot on the Rear
Bumper
Got a ’05 RL in your shop for black soot on the
rear bumper? You’re looking at a cosmetic
problem caused from water in the exhaust, black
exhaust particles, and just plain aerodynamics at
work. If, however, your service client is really
miffed about driving around with a messy
bumper, mount a set of ‘06 RL finishers to the
exhaust pipes. Not only do they cut down on this
problem but they look cool, too. Order these parts
from Honda parts stock:
• Right Finisher: P/N 18310-SJA-A01
• Left Finisher: P/N 18320-SJA-A01"
Old 03-20-2006, 11:33 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jfprl
You’re looking at a cosmetic
work.
Umm...like I said, a cosmetic problem.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jehazel
I just called my SA and he was familiar with the exhaust issue and ordered the new parts for me. They should be in within a week or so and I'll have them installed. He said they will see what they can do to get the exhaust stains off mine. I haven't tried rubbing compound or anything like that at this point but I would think that would do the trick.

--Josh
I'd suggest starting with detailing clay before you go to the extreme of rubbing compound.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago
I'd suggest starting with detailing clay before you go to the extreme of rubbing compound.
I would suggest Ziano Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover :

• Safely removes minor scratches, swirls, oxidation, wax buildup and other blemishes
• Features the world's first true self-dissolving, fused tri-particulate, diminishing abrasive system
• 100% compatibility with all painted surfaces and Zaino paint products
• Water-based formula means no mess, no staining, and easy clean up - no fillers or oils
• Can be used in sun or shade on cool surfaces
• VOC compliant
• Perfect your paint with Zaino Z-PC Fusion

www.zainostore.com

Stay away from rubbing compound.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

I've seen the Zaino comments on these forums many times and did some extensive reading up on it the last time. I'm really sold on the stuff but haven't gotten around to ordering any yet. I will probably go ahead and do that so I can use it for this issue. Thanks for the reminder folks...

--Josh
Old 03-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Racer

I was skeptical about the effectiveness and longevity claims for Zaino, but I am now a believer. I am still on my first application, which I put on last June. It still looks great and beads water like a fresh coat of wax after 9 months. Sometimes I don't bother with the detailing spray that is recommended after each wash, and it still looks great. (my car is C/S color).
Old 03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Racer

There is nothing that even comes close to Zaino IMHO.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Back to the topic at hand, I just had my tips replaced today. Total time (check-in > replace > clean car > check-out) was 45 minutes.

They do protrude a tiny bit more but actually look a little more aggressive.

Their expensive degreaser ($95/bottle) cleared off the exhaust residue.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Intermediate

I called my deal and they said they have not heard anything about this. They asked me to call Acura CRS and they gave me the same answer. Any sugestions? Thanks!
Old 03-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Racer

My dealer (Acura South Bay in Torrance) also was not aware of this issue, and as a result I was not able to get them to replace the tips, even though mine are heavy with carbon around the bottom of the rim of the tip (none on the bumper so far). If anyone discovered any official Acura paper on this subject, I would be much obliged.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Racer

Previously posted:

"Black Soot on the Rear
Bumper
from Honda parts stock:
Old 03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by AllenRL
I called my deal and they said they have not heard anything about this. They asked me to call Acura CRS and they gave me the same answer. Any sugestions? Thanks!
Tell you dealer that it is a Acura customer service that is covered at no charge to the customer or dealer. They should do it for you just like they did for me today.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by Rich in NC
Went in for the XM, OnStar, and Transmission update.
Dealer also agreed to install new, longer, exhaust tips to keep the car clean.
Told me they will be no charge under warranty.
I have 2 part numbers shown:
18310-sja-a01
18320-sja-a01
I simply love my Acura and even more my dealership at Jerry Damson Acura in Huntsville, Alabama. They graciously ordered my replacement exhaust tips without question and got them in for me in 3 days and installed within 45 minutes today. They look great. I don't know what's better: driving an Acura RL or dealing with a top notch professional dealership who believes in total customer service.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:18 AM
Dr. E in TN

sampan2-

"Black Soot on the Rear
Bumper
from Honda parts stock:
Could you tell me where to go on the web to read or subscribe to the Acura Service Bulletins?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Racer

Look in the 3g TL forum. They have a sticky on this subject. Some interesting stuff there.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Dr. E in TN

Look in the 3g TL forum. They have a sticky on this subject. Some interesting stuff there.
Could you send me the link or the actual website address? I think that everybody would like to know the exact website address so that they can keep up with their Acura RL's?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Racer

It is the acurazine forum for the tl

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-1/
Old 03-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Racer

second sticky down

https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1
Old 03-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Racer

That looks like the evidence I need for my next visit to the dealer.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Black

Originally Posted by acurafox
Which dealer?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Unemployed or retired?

No offense but if you have to gather evidence and offer justification for this .... well this would be the last time I would use that dealer.

I am guessing they never really checked with Acura if they told you no one knows of this issue.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Racer

If this were about something significant, like the tranny or navi system, I would agree with you. However, I am not sure I want to dump my nearest dealer over this issue and cut off my nose to spite my face, so to speak. I would be the loser, since I would then have to deal with a longer drive to another dealer, which may or may not be as good as the one I use today(which I have visited a total of two times-one to purchase the car, another for the TSB fixes).
Old 03-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Black

If this were about something significant, like the tranny or navi system, I would agree with you. However, I am not sure I want to dump my nearest dealer over this issue and cut off my nose to spite my face, so to speak. I would be the loser, since I would then have to deal with a longer drive to another dealer, which may or may not be as good as the one I use today(which I have visited a total of two times-one to purchase the car, another for the TSB fixes).
I've been in this situation before (with my Audis in NJ).

The way I found to win is instill fear in your current dealer. You can use my approach (screaming while there) or a more calm (but firm) version, but I found if you do it once it will pay dividends in the future.

-josh
Old 03-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Angry

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
Just the 05's, the 06's have the new "upgraded" exhaust tips. Apparently something with the way the 05 tips are made cause more than normal amounts of exhaust "soot" to build up on the bumper whereas the 06 tips have been redesigned to fix this apparently. When I saw them at the dealership I couldn't tell any difference with the tips at all as far as how far they stick out, shape etc but they are different inside. The 06 tips are flush where the 05's are sunk in on the inside. I guess this may be enough to push the gases far enough out that they don't allow the soot to collect on the bumper but I will know once they are installed next week.
I have a 3 month old 2006 RL and the exhaust tips are a mess. Anyone else with 2006 have the problem?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by buzzmag
I have a 3 month old 2006 RL and the exhaust tips are a mess. Anyone else with 2006 have the problem?

How about the body work around the tips?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Dr. E in TN

Would you ask the service manager at your Acura dealership whether or not this is supposed to be an issue with the 06 RL? That was the whole point of them freely replacing the 05 tips with the 06 tips was that this was supposed to stop the extra soot collecting.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Advanced

There shouldn't be a charge for the new tips right? I called Friday and the service person thought there would be but would know for sure on Monday. Anything in particular I need to say? Plus they would have to order then...my dealership isn't one that would take some off of an 06 obviously. ugh
Old 03-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rich in NC
How about the body work around the tips?

The body work is pretty clean.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Unemployed or retired?

I am afraid that is all you can ask for. The tips themselves will have a ton of carbon. All recent egines are going to show a lot. ULEV and sulphur in the fuel.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:26 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So does this mean that the tips actually work in that the bumper is no longer easily soiled?

I wash my wife's car once a week, but I gotta tell ya, by Saturday, the rear of her PWP RL is totally filthy. I've moved beyond Zaino'ing that area to using liberal doses of Collinite, which as helped somewhat in the removal of the soot. But it'd be nice if I didnt have to spend so much time washing the lower bumper portion.

Time to call Acura! Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Racer

Finally got mine installed today. Handed them the keys at 8:55am and got them back at 9:21am. It was super fast thankfully because the waiting area at my dealership was worthless. It's basically a square of carpet in the corner of the showroom floor with 2 chairs, a table and a couple of magazines. No coffee, no food, no tv, no nothing. It's amazing that such an awesome dealership with top notch sales and service has such crappy ammenities for customers waiting there. If it would have been any longer then it was I think I would've gone crazy. I will be seriously thinking about other dealerships for service in the future.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Tips being installed Thursday