Need a little help installing the cargo net

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Need a little help installing the cargo net

OK. I'm a reasonably bright guy, have to be, I'm a doc, right? So why am I having such a hard time with installing the cargo net? Just received it today from Curry Acura and have been going through the instructions. I simply cannot believe this...have to remove the plastic trim in the back of the trunk, then find a way to loosen up the rings on the trunk floor, then pull off the side trim, then unscrew.

And I thought trying to figure out which way to install the TL's cargo net was a little complicated! (OK, it took 15 minutes to figure out the right way).

I have a simple question. The instructions say to pop up the plastic at the bottom of the metal rings on the trunk floor. For the life of me I can't do that! What did people use and how hard did you have to pull? I've tried for most of an hour and am just scarring the plastic. Tried a wide screwdriver, then a wide, dull spreading knife that fit perfectly into the apointed space. I'm having such a tough time with a seemingly simple task and wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

PS--A-Spec kit arrives from Curry Acura tomorrow. Can't wait!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looked at the intructions myself after buying the cargo net and the best advice I can give was pay the $30 to the dealership (like i did) and have them install the cargo net.

It is not worth the time and effort to do it yourself what a major pain it is installing a simple cargo net if you wish to use all the various hook configurations.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Instructor

removing the trunk rings

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I have a simple question. The instructions say to pop up the plastic at the bottom of the metal rings on the trunk floor. For the life of me I can't do that! What did people use and how hard did you have to pull? I've tried for most of an hour and am just scarring the plastic. Tried a wide screwdriver, then a wide, dull spreading knife that fit perfectly into the apointed space. I'm having such a tough time with a seemingly simple task and wanted to make sure I was doing it right.
I got the plastic tabs poped up. I used a screwdriver and marked the hell out of the edge with the notch, but it popped up. When the ring is folded down it covers the marred edge nicely. The phillips screw under the cover is really hard to loosen as well -- have fun with that.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:23 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obviously, as neuronbob has proved, installing the cargo net is not brain surgery.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Ry4an
I got the plastic tabs poped up. I used a screwdriver and marked the hell out of the edge with the notch, but it popped up. When the ring is folded down it covers the marred edge nicely. The phillips screw under the cover is really hard to loosen as well -- have fun with that.
Hmmm. That's what I was afraid of. I thought the dealership was joking when their price list for the cargo net listed both with and without installation. Little did I know.... I may just have the dealer do this, what a hassle!

Originally Posted by jftjr
Obviously, as neuronbob has proved, installing the cargo net is not brain surgery.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:50 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hmmm. That's what I was afraid of. I thought the dealership was joking when their price list for the cargo net listed both with and without installation. Little did I know.... I may just have the dealer do this, what a hassle!

It's not all that easy to install. It took me about 45 minutes. As first (like always) I tried to do it w/o the instructions. Five minutes was all it took to convince me otherwise. In the end, you need to take quite a bit of the trunk pieces out in order to set it up. once you get going, it's not oot bad but the thought of talking body parts off of my brand new (at the time) RL was a bit unsettling. In teh end, it all worked out fine.

It IS a pain.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by runi38
looked at the intructions myself after buying the cargo net and the best advice I can give was pay the $30 to the dealership (like i did) and have them install the cargo net.

It is not worth the time and effort to do it yourself what a major pain it is installing a simple cargo net if you wish to use all the various hook configurations.
I came to the same conclusion. However, my Dealer installed it for nothing during my last service visit (those Dealer relationships are so important!). Took the Tech all of 10 minutes. I assume he's done it a couple of times before. By the way, I sprung for two cargo nets, one I have on the floor and the other stretched across the trunk.