Need key fob for 2005 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need key fob for 2005 Acura RL

I just bought a used 2005 Acura RL and need a key fob/transmitter. Are there any good sources for these?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ebay
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll tell you this....don't go to a dealership. I just bought a certified RL that only came with one key. Since two keys come with a certified vehicle, the dealer had to cough up another one. Acura charged the dealer $500+ for the fob and programming. What a stinkin' rip off.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Racer

programming a key to the rl should cost no more than 65 at the dealership
they do sell the remote at an ungodly price
so if you can get one on ebay for under 90 then that's a good deal.
make sure its driver 1 or driver 2 depending on which one you have already
Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM
5th Gear

What about the key that is in my remote ("Driver 1"). Would a replacement come with a blank key? Could a lock smith cut the key for me?

Also, what the heck is this key for (I guess I need to crack open the owner's manual).
Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by flyfishindawg
I'll tell you this....don't go to a dealership. I just bought a certified RL that only came with one key. Since two keys come with a certified vehicle, the dealer had to cough up another one. Acura charged the dealer $500+ for the fob and programming. What a stinkin' rip off.
Yup, I've been quoted $550 for a replacement "Memory 2" with programming and the cutting of the key.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by galabar
What about the key that is in my remote ("Driver 1"). Would a replacement come with a blank key? Could a lock smith cut the key for me?

Also, what the heck is this key for (I guess I need to crack open the owner's manual).
suprisingly the key blank is the cheapest out of all of these related components. you can get a key blank from the dealership and have them cut it for you.

when you buy the driver 2 key fob, you'll have to have the driver one fob and key and the cut blank and new d2 key fob together when you're getting them programmed

and now that you mentioned that you haven't read the manual, i aint answering what the key does......go read. we all had to do it.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Question

Page 145 of the Owner's Manual:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...6/JA0606OM.pdf

I am unsure if a replacement fob can be matched to the Security Number Tag of the exisiting fob you have.

If anyone has had a replacement fob programmed, did the dealer match the Security Number of existing fob you had, or does each fob now have a seperate Security Number, or were BOTH fobs reprogrammed and a new single Security Number was issued?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by nyctl
suprisingly the key blank is the cheapest out of all of these related components. you can get a key blank from the dealership and have them cut it for you.

when you buy the driver 2 key fob, you'll have to have the driver one fob and key and the cut blank and new d2 key fob together when you're getting them programmed

and now that you mentioned that you haven't read the manual, i aint answering what the key does......go read. we all had to do it.
Ok, so I've read about the built in key. However, I'm not exactly sure why I'd want to use it in the ignition? Would it be useful if the remote battery died?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by galabar
Ok, so I've read about the built in key. However, I'm not exactly sure why I'd want to use it in the ignition? Would it be useful if the remote battery died?
Yes. Primarily you would need to use the internal key if the fob battery dies or the keyless recognition fails. You would have to remove the ignition crank 'paddle' and insert the internal key. (Only US and Canada RLs are 'keyless ignition', the LEGEND requires a key...hence the modified ignition 'paddle'.)

The internal key is also used to lock the glovebox an rear seat pass through, particularly if you use VALET service. You lock the glovebox (flipping the trunk lock / VALET switch inside) , lock the pass through and eject key from the fob. You give the VALET the fob, keeping he manual key, and the VALET can run the car but cannot access the glovebox or trunk.

You can also use the manual key in the driver door handle to open / close windows and sunroof without starting the car.

The manual key also has a chip embedded that works in concert with the fob's programming as part of the RLs security and engine immobilizing systems.

Most of us rarely ever see or use it, but it has it's purpose.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Page 145 of the Owner's Manual:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...6/JA0606OM.pdf

I am unsure if a replacement fob can be matched to the Security Number Tag of the exisiting fob you have.

If anyone has had a replacement fob programmed, did the dealer match the Security Number of existing fob you had, or does each fob now have a seperate Security Number, or were BOTH fobs reprogrammed and a new single Security Number was issued?
dude
they took my already programmed fob and key and put the key into a tablet machine
they entered the vin number of the rl and started the process
they then inserted the newly cut key and programmed that as well as the second key fob.
then hesto presto tablet said process completed
put the keys in the ignition. started engine
took keys out and tested the wireless entry functions. worked
took my keys and my receipt and i left.

easy with the new vs old security number stuff. this ain' t the social security office. they sell replacement keys for a reason.....it can be done
Old 12-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

If you answered my question, I could not read through the 'tude.

Are both fobs synched to the old Security Number? or,

Are both fobs synched to a new Security Number? or,

Does each fob now have a unique number.

My query was not the capability to replacing a key or fob. My query was to how the Security Number is managed and resultant to the process.

This 'dude' is a bit more focused on offering sincere informative information than posturing to be so cool.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
If you answered my question, I could not read through the 'tude.

Are both fobs synched to the old Security Number? or,

Are both fobs synched to a new Security Number? or,

Does each fob now have a unique number.

My query was not the capability to replacing a key or fob. My query was to how the Security Number is managed and resultant to the process.

This 'dude' is a bit more focused on offering sincere informative information than posturing to be so cool.
save me the melodrama and a whack definition of cool.
how are you offering info by suggesting that there is a MAGIC security number that may or may not be programmed blahblahblah did the dealer match blahblahblah
gimme a break
he needs a new fob and key
he can buy a fob on ebay or pay thru the nose at the stealership
he will have to get them programmed no 2 ways about it.
so wtf r u talking about mr. sincerity?
who the hell cares about a security number?
you don't need a security number when you take the key to the dealer or locksmith....focus!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 #2's

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I've got an odd situation. I recently bought my 06 RL and I was given 2 #2 key fobs (rather than a 1 and a 2). It seems like a hassle to find a buyer for one of my fobs and then buy a used on on ebay. Is there any way they can program the 2nd #2fob to my car, or will having 2 #2's programmed to my car screw something up?

Also, about how much is the dealer going to charge me to program the fob to my car?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
First off, good on ya for searching

Second, As far as programing goes the instructions are on the back of the FOB... I'm not 100% sure how have 2, #2's, will work but I say save your money and give it a try.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

the instructions on the back of the key fob are for how to link the fob to the memory seating, not how to link the fob to the car itself. I don't want to link the fob to the memory seating on the 2nd #2.

I'm pretty sure I have to go to the dealer for them to get the fob to work with my car though and get the chip in the manual key to match up as well.

Anyone know how much that should run me at a dealer or know another way to do that?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:33 AM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by alaxgoaly8
the instructions on the back of the key fob are for how to link the fob to the memory seating, not how to link the fob to the car itself. I don't want to link the fob to the memory seating on the 2nd #2.

I'm pretty sure I have to go to the dealer for them to get the fob to work with my car though and get the chip in the manual key to match up as well.

Anyone know how much that should run me at a dealer or know another way to do that?
So you got two #2 fobs. Do both fobs work to unlock and start the car? Do both the physical keys work to start the car also?

Having two #2 fobs is no big deal. It won't screw anything up. It's just like having an extra fob with any car. The only difference is the they are both coded to be Driver 2. You cannot convert a Driver 2 fob to be driver 1 or vice versa. They come how they come from the factory. There are separate part numbers for each fob. In your case, you just have two fobs that can trigger the Driver 2 settings and none that can trigger driver 1.

If you really want a driver 1, then you have to get a driver 1 fob from somewhere and have the dealer program that to your car. They usually charge an hour of labor so around $100 or so + tax. You will then end up with one Driver 1 fob and two Driver 2 fobs all of which will work (unless you have them deprogram one of the 2s).

I asked if the physical keys work as well because if they both do, then you can pretty much buy any used fob on e-bay and then just throw out the phsyical key and put yours in. If not, then you need a key blank cut and programmed as well, which is an extra step for the dealer to do. Whether they charge you more or not probably depends on the dealer.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep an eye on ebay, I'm convinced the used car dealers who get 2 fobs sell one of them there. Easy money.
I bought a new one from the dealer. That and the programming (several trips to get it right) was very $$$$.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Sorry I misunderstood, I was thinking you should save the money and just sync the two fobs to see what happens

The ebay FOBs average about 100 and up, just make 100% sure you are getting a #1 or you could end up with another #2.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 06-22-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

I bought a used fob off of eBay from a seller of such items with good feedback. The case was labelled as a driver #2. Turns out the internals were a driver #1. Somewhere along the line, somebody switched the case. So, I now have 2 driver#1 fobs synched to the car. Cost me almost $150 to get to that point. It wasn't worth going back to the seller to try to get another with the right internals. The dealership would have charged me another hour's worth of labor @ $75 to re-synch it again. Eh, it turned out to not be that big of a deal. My wife carries the second fob, but I drive the car 90% of the time. Oh well...
Old 06-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
So if the fobs need to be programmed, why can't they program it to be a D1 or D2?
Hard to believe that is hard coded.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
OK, my above post was probably stupid.
After thinking about it, I guess the car gets programmed, not the fob.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by getakey
So if the fobs need to be programmed, why can't they program it to be a D1 or D2?
Hard to believe that is hard coded.
Driver 1 vs Driver 2 is indeed hard-coded into the FOB electronics. Can't be changed by programming.

When you program the FOB to your car at the dealer, they are doing just that... they are telling your car to accept the signal from that fob which also includes something identifying it as D1 vs D2. There is nothing programmed into the fob itself.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I think it's apparent that it can be done, the problem is the damn dealer is such an asshole that they want $200 to program one for it. Just to plug it into the HDS. I would buy an extra FOB right now if I could find someone to program it for under $100.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by shahram72
I think it's apparent that it can be done, the problem is the damn dealer is such an asshole that they want $200 to program one for it. Just to plug it into the HDS. I would buy an extra FOB right now if I could find someone to program it for under $100.
The fobs can be programmed to the car to work, but still you would need a Driver 1 fob if you want Driver 1 linking. The same with D2. They cannot be reprogrammed by HDS to go from D1 to D2 or vice versa.

Too bad you're on the other side of the country... If you're ever here in Seattle with your car, I'd program one for you for free! ;-)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Megatron
So you got two #2 fobs. Do both fobs work to unlock and start the car? Do both the physical keys work to start the car also?

Having two #2 fobs is no big deal. It won't screw anything up. It's just like having an extra fob with any car. The only difference is the they are both coded to be Driver 2. You cannot convert a Driver 2 fob to be driver 1 or vice versa. They come how they come from the factory. There are separate part numbers for each fob. In your case, you just have two fobs that can trigger the Driver 2 settings and none that can trigger driver 1.

If you really want a driver 1, then you have to get a driver 1 fob from somewhere and have the dealer program that to your car. They usually charge an hour of labor so around $100 or so + tax. You will then end up with one Driver 1 fob and two Driver 2 fobs all of which will work (unless you have them deprogram one of the 2s).

I asked if the physical keys work as well because if they both do, then you can pretty much buy any used fob on e-bay and then just throw out the phsyical key and put yours in. If not, then you need a key blank cut and programmed as well, which is an extra step for the dealer to do. Whether they charge you more or not probably depends on the dealer.
The 2nd #2 is not programmed to my car. I might just go to the dealer and have them program the 2nd #2 to my car. I've tried asking to guys on ebay if they would swap a 1 for a 2 and I would give them an extra $30 for their effort and they could then sell my fob on ebay. So they would still get the profit from the FOB plus an extra $30 from me for swapping, but so far, no luck.

There's a guy selling some used ones without a key for $100. I just don't know if it's that important to me to have a 1 and a 2 if I already have 2 FOBs. As long as programming a 2nd #2 to my car won't screw things up and both will work with the car, I think I'm fine with that.

Unless someone is a dealer on this site and wants to swap and make a quick $30?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
If you decide you want to sell your #2, let me know.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

IanVS... PM Sent