Need information

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need information

Hello,

So I'm thinking to buy 2009-2010 Acura RL. I had Acura TL about 7 years ago, it was fine car, couple things were broke included tranny. So my question is would RL has same problem as 3.2 TL's?
Any other major problems?
Oh forgot about overheating breaks, as they did on 3.2 TL so pedal became spongy?

I'm driving now E60 550i, very nice car to drive but small repairs are killing me(I'm really bimmer guy) and I need a break from BMW. I had BMW's since 2004 or 2005 (e46 325, E46 M3, E60 550i), the 3-seires were very good, but 5-series with small problems like IBS sensor, battery registration, mirrors motor problem, tight support, high rate discharge msg, IDrive and SOS don't go along so need to reset. Well otherwise best driver car ever from this class, it's taking turn like any other sedan, very sharp ramp at 50-60 mph, just try same thing on RL. But I have sport pckg with ARS system.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have had four Acuras since the late 90's and here are my thoughts and suggestions:

1. Acura doesn't make cars like they used to. My 94 Integra was by far the BEST Acura I've every owned - quality of workmanship and reliability. When I traded the Integra, it had about 130K miles and needed pretty much every wear and tear item you can imagine, including a new clutch. That was the main reason whey I got rid of it.

2. I had two TL-S' and they both rattled and squeaked from day one. The first one I totaled and it saved my @$$ (think jaws of life, life flight), and I only suffered two broken bones. The second one had FOUR transmissions. When I traded the TL-S, it had 163K miles and was still running fairly well.

3. My 07 RL is still have an occasional rattles and squeaks at around 73K miles currently. I've had the dealer apply felt tape to the root of the problems, but it's not 100%. I love the SH-AWD and navigation, but I am not impressed by the power and gas mileage. The RL definitely has a softer ride than a TL, and most likely a 550i. The only things I've replaced thus far (aside from the regular wear and tear stuff) is an alternator and a flickering light bulb, under the warranty.

4. A friend of mine owns a 2010 RL, traded up from a 2005, and he loves it. From 09 to 11, the RL has better handling, more power, but the gas mileage is about the same. It also has some cool features such as instantly activated manual mode by pressing on the paddle shifter (you don't have to shift the shifter into the manual position).

Summary:

If you're looking for something more reliable than your 550i, then the RL is a good choice. If you'll miss the power and handling of your 550i, you'll need to do some aftermarket upgrades.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by phlfly
Hello,

So I'm thinking to buy 2009-2010 Acura RL. I had Acura TL about 7 years ago, it was fine car, couple things were broke included tranny. So my question is would RL has same problem as 3.2 TL's?
Any other major problems?
Oh forgot about overheating breaks, as they did on 3.2 TL so pedal became spongy?

I'm driving now E60 550i, very nice car to drive but small repairs are killing me(I'm really bimmer guy) and I need a break from BMW. I had BMW's since 2004 or 2005 (e46 325, E46 M3, E60 550i), the 3-seires were very good, but 5-series with small problems like IBS sensor, battery registration, mirrors motor problem, tight support, high rate discharge msg, IDrive and SOS don't go along so need to reset. Well otherwise best driver car ever from this class, it's taking turn like any other sedan, very sharp ramp at 50-60 mph, just try same thing on RL. But I have sport pckg with ARS system.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just thought I added my input since I have the 09 RL.

Bought mine CPO with 50k miles. Previous owner didn't change the ATF. Let me just say, it's worth changing the ATF fluid often (every year) on these Hondas. Shifting was sorta bad at first with the dirty fluid, but after all the fluid changes, it's like new.

Other than that, I haven't seen any problems, including ones that were brought up in this forum. Then again, the car is still relatively new... Brakes are still good, the 4 piston front caliper should do a fine job. I definitely think Acura stepped it up in terms of reliability with 09+ RL. Only time will tell.

For more information on what changed happened, you should check out the Honda news page http://www.hondanews.com/channels/27...7-61004c34bd79
Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks,
But I saw a couple a good deals for 2008 with very mileage, do you think I should consider, as look like interior almost same.