My thoughts on the buying experience part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts on the buying experience part 1

I know over the past few months, me included, there have been many questions and advice asked about how to get the best deal, what lease or finance is good etc.
Let me say this, because there will be a second part, I decided this morning on this particular topic, that no matter what type of deal you think you are getting, you want to have the best OVERALL experience when you get a car. If you feel like the dealership does not respect you due to age, looks, etc walk away. Even if the numbers are amazing, walk away. There are other dealerships that will match. I know this. I also know on the flip side, sometimes we don't have the luxury of time to shop around for months. So be it. But never let a dealership make you feel like your money is not worth what it is. Never ALLOW them to make you feel you don't belong in there. This goes for all types of purchases. Sometimes this is a sales tactic to overpower us as the buyer, and if we fall into this trap, we will walk away very unhappy. Nothing is like leaving a dealership not feeling good about the transaction because of the way you were treated. REGARDLESS OF PRICE!!

To be continued......
Old 07-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ck37
I know over the past few months, me included, there have been many questions and advice asked about how to get the best deal, what lease or finance is good etc.
Let me say this, because there will be a second part, I decided this morning on this particular topic, that no matter what type of deal you think you are getting, you want to have the best OVERALL experience when you get a car. If you feel like the dealership does not respect you due to age, looks, etc walk away. Even if the numbers are amazing, walk away. There are other dealerships that will match. I know this. I also know on the flip side, sometimes we don't have the luxury of time to shop around for months. So be it. But never let a dealership make you feel like your money is not worth what it is. Never ALLOW them to make you feel you don't belong in there. This goes for all types of purchases. Sometimes this is a sales tactic to overpower us as the buyer, and if we fall into this trap, we will walk away very unhappy. Nothing is like leaving a dealership not feeling good about the transaction because of the way you were treated. REGARDLESS OF PRICE!!

To be continued......

good call on that info, but for us who are unfortunate enough to have one Acura dealer in the Nashville area, somtimes that is a hard thing to except. Especially when leasing. I personally, have no problems going out of state when "buying" a car, but to lease, i would be hestitant....i assume if you lease from a dealer you must return to that dealer.---just one more headache. this alone i think would cause many to settle on what is offered. at that point, here in Nashville, you would most likely go to another manufacturer rather then to Memphis to an Acura dealer.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
A good trick with buying cars is establishing a relationship with a particular dealership. This often results in a great attitude from the staff when you show up because they know you are a loyal customer.

My family has owned 7 Acuras over the last decade and change. 6 of those Acuras came from the same dealership (only the one used one did not). Now, whenever I want a good deal, I find the best deal I can get via quotes on the internet and the dealer always matches, no questions asked.

Having that kind of relationship with a dealer, especially if you are brand loyal, ensures that you get good deals, good treatment, and an excellent buying experience.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Instructor

wait for part 2.....
Old 07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Racer

wait for part 2.....

lets here it!

lets also here about the drving experience....what it was like driving off the lot. what color combo did you get? what gadgets have you discovered, that you didnt even know about
go!............
Old 07-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Overlord of Networking

its to bad

that buying a car must be this way. I really feel that buying a car should be like buying a dishwasher or a refrigiator or somthing. Here are the prices, go pick a color and bring the slip to the register, after it is paid for we will bring it to the front for pickup or deliver it to your home. No hagalling or anything. Kind of like a wall-mart super store for cars.

well. i guess i can dream cant I ?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Well Tommy_Boy I agree with you and wish it was truly that way. I know some transactions that are just that way in the car world, or some dealerships for that matter. Then there are other instances.

I would love to "spill the beans" but I need to wait until after tomorrow for reasons i will address. I just hope what have witnessed/experienced can and will help others in dealing with not just this particluar car or brand, but in all transactions in general.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Overlord of Networking

just read this and you will know everything that goes on at the dealership. Really scary stuff.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html
Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Great read. A must for many out there.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
Thanks Tommy boy, a very entertaining and interesting story.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tommy_boy
just read this and you will know everything that goes on at the dealership. Really scary stuff.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html
Thanks Tommy B......I'm up to part 5, great stuff.......I can clearly see more than one or two tactics used on me already, ( I am currently shopping for an RL)!

Had to take a break for dinner.

Can't wait to get back to it!

Steve C.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Racer

To be continued......
Originally Posted by ck37 on 7/7/05 at 1:18 pm
I would love to "spill the beans" but I need to wait until after tomorrow for reasons i will address.
Well?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
Well?
Maybe for reasons he could not explain...the deal fell through.......
Steve C.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Part 2?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:44 AM
Instructor

Just FYI, around here the dealers are getting an influx of used RL into the lot. People get sick of stuff not working right and they end up trading their RLs in for TLs.

Read the thread about know problems with the RL.

If you can stand little things here and there not working, you could probably snatch up a used RL at a great discount.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Hi everyone,
I know I said Friday, but with a hectic day of work and making time to pick up my new Rl and et the windows tinted etc, then leave town for the weekend, it was hard for me to sit down and write out what I wanted to say.

anyhow I ham back and here is part 2.
Originally I was to pick my Rl up on Tuesday July 5th. Well, I did pick it up, signed all the documents etc. The sales rep then proceeded to show me where my car was. As we approach the abundance of RL's in their backlot, he keeps pressing the alarm button on the fob to find mine. Now once we hear it I was pretty much shocked to see a filthy Back RL with Birdshit on the hood. Not the way I was envisioning to get into my new car. Well the salesrep makes it a point to pull the car into the wash bay and proceeds to wash the car by himself. once he is done, he dry's her off. I take a look around the car only to notice many scratches, some fine, a couple semi-deep, in different areas of the car. But before all this, he told me my car was detailed last thursday. Now why would you detail a car last thursday, let it sit outside, when the sales rep himself tells me I will be able to pick up the car only on Tuesday of the following week. So I voice my concerns ove the scratches and tell him this is really unacceptable and that no dealership should present Acur'a Flagship vehicle in this manner. Well at this point he can't say too much but to get their detailer to start buffing out the scratches as we find them. overall we spend about 2-3 hours more going all of this. A whole day of work wasted for me.
So I finally leave, not really thrilled mind you, and as i start driving I start hearing the notorious rattling from the back area. Well I call him back up, told him and he said to bring it back in. I drive all the way back to the dealership only to find the mechanics all left for the day being that it was past five, and cleaning was needed to be done in the shop area.
So I was told to come back the next morning.

Well, because of this whole venture that day, That night I was feeling very hesitant about the whole deal. I was having second thoughts, etc. So I decided to sleep on it and see how i felt the next morning. So I get to the dealership around 7am sitting in my car waiting to pull into service, and I was furious. This whole experience of seeing the car I bought, filthy scratched up should not have happened nor should I be there the very next day.
So I decide I need to get back home and get ready for work before I go through this whole ordeal.
I come back around 9 and I go right to the GM. I told him about my experiences from yesterday, and how it became one of the most dissatisfying buying experiences I have had. I told him about the rattles, etc and felt that between the scratches, some were not able to come out, etc and the rattles, that I wanted another car. Without hesitation he agreed and apologized for the way I was treated. We then and did all the necessary paperwork to make it happen. So on Friday, when I picked up my Car, I saw my new beautiful NBP/ebony RL sitting in the driveway presented the way it should have been. Rattle free, all the software updates applied etc.
I drove off into bliss going from feeling like I thought this might be the wrong move to really enjoying the car. I have to say, the GM made the buying experience a much better one.

And to address another post, this is the second time I got an acura from this dealership. that irritated me even more that all this happened.

OVerall I realized how important presentation is when someone is investing thier hard earned money into a product, and how important Customer service is.

I will not disclose the dealerships name nor anyone affiliated with them. So please no PM's on this I just wanted to share my buying xperience with others and know that if you see this type of treatment starting to happen. put your foot down then, and make your voice heard. demand respect. Because I would not want any of you to feel the way I did that day.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi everyone,
I know I said Friday, but with a hectic day of work and making time to pick up my new Rl and et the windows tinted etc, then leave town for the weekend, it was hard for me to sit down and write out what I wanted to say.

anyhow I ham back and here is part 2.
Originally I was to pick my Rl up on Tuesday July 5th. Well, I did pick it up, signed all the documents etc. The sales rep then proceeded to show me where my car was. As we approach the abundance of RL's in their backlot, he keeps pressing the alarm button on the fob to find mine. Now once we hear it I was pretty much shocked to see a filthy Back RL with Birdshit on the hood. Not the way I was envisioning to get into my new car. Well the salesrep makes it a point to pull the car into the wash bay and proceeds to wash the car by himself. once he is done, he dry's her off. I take a look around the car only to notice many scratches, some fine, a couple semi-deep, in different areas of the car. But before all this, he told me my car was detailed last thursday. Now why would you detail a car last thursday, let it sit outside, when the sales rep himself tells me I will be able to pick up the car only on Tuesday of the following week. So I voice my concerns ove the scratches and tell him this is really unacceptable and that no dealership should present Acur'a Flagship vehicle in this manner. Well at this point he can't say too much but to get their detailer to start buffing out the scratches as we find them. overall we spend about 2-3 hours more going all of this. A whole day of work wasted for me.
So I finally leave, not really thrilled mind you, and as i start driving I start hearing the notorious rattling from the back area. Well I call him back up, told him and he said to bring it back in. I drive all the way back to the dealership only to find the mechanics all left for the day being that it was past five, and cleaning was needed to be done in the shop area.
So I was told to come back the next morning.

Well, because of this whole venture that day, That night I was feeling very hesitant about the whole deal. I was having second thoughts, etc. So I decided to sleep on it and see how i felt the next morning. So I get to the dealership around 7am sitting in my car waiting to pull into service, and I was furious. This whole experience of seeing the car I bought, filthy scratched up should not have happened nor should I be there the very next day.
So I decide I need to get back home and get ready for work before I go through this whole ordeal.
I come back around 9 and I go right to the GM. I told him about my experiences from yesterday, and how it became one of the most dissatisfying buying experiences I have had. I told him about the rattles, etc and felt that between the scratches, some were not able to come out, etc and the rattles, that I wanted another car. Without hesitation he agreed and apologized for the way I was treated. We then and did all the necessary paperwork to make it happen. So on Friday, when I picked up my Car, I saw my new beautiful NBP/ebony RL sitting in the driveway presented the way it should have been. Rattle free, all the software updates applied etc.
I drove off into bliss going from feeling like I thought this might be the wrong move to really enjoying the car. I have to say, the GM made the buying experience a much better one.

And to address another post, this is the second time I got an acura from this dealership. that irritated me even more that all this happened.

OVerall I realized how important presentation is when someone is investing thier hard earned money into a product, and how important Customer service is.

I will not disclose the dealerships name nor anyone affiliated with them. So please no PM's on this I just wanted to share my buying xperience with others and know that if you see this type of treatment starting to happen. put your foot down then, and make your voice heard. demand respect. Because I would not want any of you to feel the way I did that day.
Glad to hear all turned out well....how did the RL do on out of town weekend?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by g6civcx
Just FYI, around here the dealers are getting an influx of used RL into the lot. People get sick of stuff not working right and they end up trading their RLs in for TLs.

Read the thread about know problems with the RL.

If you can stand little things here and there not working, you could probably snatch up a used RL at a great discount.
Interesting....you can't find a used RL for your life here in Dallas. I'd be interested to see what the last five of the VIN numbers are on these traded vehilces... Below 5000 I bet....
Old 07-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Which dealers? Tried to help a friend of mine (who wants an RL bad but can't quite afford a new one) and he cannot find a used RL in D.C. area to save his life. He thought he'd found one at Chevy Chase (a black repo) but it was not a color he wants. He found none at Rosenthal, none at Pohanka, none at Tischer, and none at Radley when he checked. Please let me know so I can direct him. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

ck37 - Sorry to hear about the terrible experience with the dealer. Also, glad to hear you worked it out with them and they resolved the issues.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Thanks VP,
yeah I'm glad it turned out well too. I know the salesman is not happy wth me since I went to the GM, but I felt like I had no choice. it became evident to me, he is one of those types that always had an excuse for everything. if he would have just been honest and said, "Yeah I messed up" I would have been more understandable. However that was not the case. I am the type of person that does not like to be fed BS. If you mess up, tell me, if you forget, tell me. We are all human. But don't BS me and in turn disrespect my intelligence.

I love my new RL though Got the chrome stock wheels on it, and am waiting for the splash gaurds to come in. Windows are already tinted. 20% all around. I have to say though the NBP/ebony combo is beautiful when it's clean. Especially with the windows tinted and the wheels. As soon as the splash guards go on I will take some pics.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks VP,
yeah I'm glad it turned out well too. I know the salesman is not happy wth me since I went to the GM, but I felt like I had no choice. it became evident to me, he is one of those types that always had an excuse for everything. if he would have just been honest and said, "Yeah I messed up" I would have been more understandable. However that was not the case. I am the type of person that does not like to be fed BS. If you mess up, tell me, if you forget, tell me. We are all human. But don't BS me and in turn disrespect my intelligence.

I love my new RL though Got the chrome stock wheels on it, and am waiting for the splash gaurds to come in. Windows are already tinted. 20% all around. I have to say though the NBP/ebony combo is beautiful when it's clean. Especially with the windows tinted and the wheels. As soon as the splash guards go on I will take some pics.
Agreed. We are all human.

Can't wait to see the pics of the car.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Instructor

"Just FYI, around here the dealers are getting an influx of used RL into the lot. People get sick of stuff not working right and they end up trading their RLs in for TLs."

This is hard to believe without more detail to provide support to it. My RL was among the first delivered last October with a vin # of <2000 and has been perfect/trouble free. Also no used RLs being advertised for sale as of last weekend in Seattle area.